Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First Test Drive -- Optimistic
RE: First Test Drive -- Optimistic
Ok, I think I am getting the idea.

Might have to shop for the "hardware" first and THEN find THE MECHANIC that knows how to install it properly.

Hey, that's a good idea -- thanks.

Taking charge of my health care shouldn't not just mean resetting my APAP the way it should be set.

(I still find it a bit curious that the sleep doc either didn't notice that HIS settings were not the ones on the machine or DID NOT CARE or have any recommendations going forward.

My settings are pretty much spot on NOW, but they are almost completely incompatible with the original prescription he wrote.

I was SLIGHTLY relieved he made no fuss about it, but it does seem to show either a lack of interest or poor problem focus on the data.

Maybe he just saw the "results" which are near optimal and figured "he did it".

)

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, I think I am getting the idea.

Might have to shop for the "hardware" first and THEN find THE MECHANIC that knows how to install it properly.

Hey, that's a good idea -- thanks.

I won't post any more about knees , Since this is a Apnea site . I would be happy to answer any questions you have . PM

jim
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, one month into CPAP therapy.

Still 100% compliant with every sleep on the machine; something like 242 hours on the machine. 8+ per day average.

The new Innomed Hybrid mask arrived and I slept with it 1 1/2 nights (it started pillow leaking half way through last night and I didn't feel like fiddling with it so I just put the Airfit P10 back on and went to bed.

The Hybrid is definitely usable, not bad, now the backup for it my nose congests to much for the P10.

It is however, NOTHING like the P10 -- there likely is not an appreciably better mask available for those who can breathe through their nose and keep their mouth closed (by some means.)

There MIGHT be something in the same class, but no mask is likely to be MUCH better for those who can wear the P10.

FYI: I am speaking at a conference (on Self-Defense) tomorrow and brought my machine to the hotel of course.

Nighty Night.....

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-01-2014, 01:59 AM)herbm Wrote: Ok, one month into CPAP therapy.

Still 100% compliant with every sleep on the machine; something like 242 hours on the machine. 8+ per day average.
Its a milestone in the advancement of better sleep
Congrats

Post Reply Post Reply
Strange hotel room so I didn't sleep LONG -- only 5 hours, but this was NOT the fault of the CPAP mask or machine which did their job just like at home.

However, I did obtain my VERY FIRST AHI 0.0 I-love-CPAP Too-happy-2

Now getting it much below AHI 5, or especially 1.0 is NOT something you want to do if it costs you good sleep and comfort in other ways.

BUT IT IS A FUN GAME if you are watching your daily stats AND if you don't take it too seriously.

To be clear: I took NO HEROIC measures, and just did my CPAP normally.

The only things I have done to increase the odds of an AHI 0.0 and to lower the AHI below 2.0 are these:

1. Reduced the Min Pressure from 11 to 10
  2. Use the small pillows on the Airfit P10

Both of these steps reduce or avoid "over-breathing" which can lead to hyperventilation and CAs which were my main residual events.

Also, I am a master hypnotist and use that to encourage my unconscious to keep me breathing all night.

This may nor may not help but it doesn't hurt or cost anything. I don't even waste time on it since my usual routine is to engage the self-hypnosis when falling asleep -- it's a great way to fall asleep and to deliver suggestions at the same time.

In any case, the AHI 0.0 ain't bad. Smile

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-01-2014, 08:25 AM)herbm Wrote: Strange hotel room so I didn't sleep LONG -- only 5 hours, but this was NOT the fault of the CPAP mask or machine which did their job just like at home.

However, I did obtain my VERY FIRST AHI 0.0 I-love-CPAP Too-happy-2

Now getting it much below AHI 5, or especially 1.0 is NOT something you want to do if it costs you good sleep and comfort in other ways.

BUT IT IS A FUN GAME if you are watching your daily stats AND if you don't take it too seriously.

To be clear: I took NO HEROIC measures, and just did my CPAP normally.

The only things I have done to increase the odds of an AHI 0.0 and to lower the AHI below 2.0 are these:

1. Reduced the Min Pressure from 11 to 10
  2. Use the small pillows on the Airfit P10

Both of these steps reduce or avoid "over-breathing" which can lead to hyperventilation and CAs which were my main residual events.

Also, I am a master hypnotist and use that to encourage my unconscious to keep me breathing all night.

This may nor may not help but it doesn't hurt or cost anything. I don't even waste time on it since my usual routine is to engage the self-hypnosis when falling asleep -- it's a great way to fall asleep and to deliver suggestions at the same time.

In any case, the AHI 0.0 ain't bad. Smile

Congratulations Herb!
I have written down the name of your Airfit P10 for the future. I have just ordered a Swift FX so if I am able to manage the pillow I may purchase an Airfit down the track based on your recommendation.
Many years ago I used to practice self-hypnosis but gradually let it slip. I did find it very beneficial at the time.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
I started this thread: 5 years ago this month on Jan 31 (2014).

You folks were -- and are -- wonderful and even though I haven't visited much after the first year or so, I have been sending people here regularly (mostly from Quora.)

Well, my optimism was justified: 5 straight years of CPAP with practically no skips:

a) we had a couple of power failure that last too long for my UPS system
b) I fell asleep riding passenger in the car once on a long trip while my wife drove
c) 3 nights I spent in the hospital (unnecessarily) after getting my double knee replacements (both hips were done outpatient)

That's it. 15000+ hours (need to check the number).

Seriously, naps, nighttime, every time -- I always used it. Took it on trips except for those 3 nights in the hospital. I really haven't even thought about not using it.

The poor little machine's, S9 Autoset APAP, motor started complaining in December and the sensors must be borked because they no longer give reliable readings.

Need to wait 3 more weeks for a new machine (5 years) but already have the Sleep Doc appointment for next week to renew the prescription. Insurance company insists I must wait 5 years to the day.

Last night the little fellow actually put up the notice for the first time that the motor was at end of life.

I guess I've burned through 10 or 15 P-10s (although I think Sugar ate a couple of the early ones when she was a pup.)

P-10's have been lasting 6-10 months, and I think one might have gone 15 months but it was so long I had no real idea.

Now I have to pick a new machine so I guess it's another S9 (if I can find one new) or an A-10 Autoset if I must, but that's probably a question for another thread.

Darn I wish I could remember my other "mail order DME" (besides American Home Patient.) I liked those other folks but since I buy so little junk (a P10 every 6 months usually, just in case) that they quit calling me to drum up business.

Haven't been using water in the tank for 3 or 4 years until it got dry recently and I actually started again just last night for the first time. Without water, nothing on the mask, hose, or tank, except the strap, ever seemed to wear out or need replacing or even cleaning.

Without water, I would usually change pillows only when unboxing a new mask even though I still can't explain why pillows last longer without moisture.

Good to hear that SleepyHead is still improving (my data card slot has been borked forever so I quit worrying about it other than just checking the idiot message occasionally to see AHI and leaks were good.)

I've told anyone who would listen that even if I magically did NOT have OSA, I would still wear the mask just for the comfort of keeping my nasal passages clear all night, breathing fresh air with covers over my head, and stopping the snoring (for my wife's benefit.)

Speaking of "Mrs. P10", she has used her mask almost as much for 4+ years except she doesn't take it on trips to see the grandkids for a week or so, but then her OSA is also pretty minimal.

Thanks to everyone who help me or who is helping others -- and to anyone reading this far.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome back don’t stay away Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Herb, you will like the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset. A little more compact in size but basically the same treatment you have been getting with the S9. There are a lot of suppliers that can provide good prices on supplies if you're not going through insurance so shop around and take a look at the Supplier list. There is a new faster version of Sleepyhead if you want http://OSCAR Official Download Page ----> CLICK HERE ./testing/1.1.0
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks SleepRider.

Already grabbed SleepyHead and source (git clone), as well as requested the newer Resmed softare.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 2 85 Yesterday, 04:39 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Need help interpeing Lofta test results. LoftaUser 0 130 03-07-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: LoftaUser
  Self-administered sleep test? BlueSky1958 6 209 02-29-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Doubts about my diagnosis? (Test results + First night with CPAP) IAXEM 14 878 02-26-2024, 03:46 PM
Last Post: IAXEM
  Home Sleep apnea test xaid 5 865 02-21-2024, 09:28 PM
Last Post: BDayton
  Taking a sleep test while on CPAP? hydra 4 353 02-21-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: MikeR20
  First Sleep Test OwenTrantor 56 3,992 02-19-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: Dormeo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.