Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First couple of nights, would any changes make sense at this point?
First couple of nights, would any changes make sense at this point?
So I just got my CPAP on Friday. I've typically been good with getting to sleep and staying asleep, but waking up has been tough for the past few years, especially if I get less than 12 hours of sleep. The past 2 nights I've slept like 8 and 10 hours, and have felt much better. Easier to wake up and get in the shower, and I'm really encouraged. My sleep study had a AHI of 6.0, and now it appears I'm under 2.

I do have an ostomy, so I usually wake up once a night to deal with that. I'm sure it shows in the data for at least last night.

I think I plan to tweak the humidity a notch or two higher tonight, but curious if anything with the pressure seems obvious that should be tried? Let me know if I need to take more screenshots of other graphs. Or any other glaring information from my data that would be important. Thank you.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: First couple of nights, would any changes make sense at this point?
Welcome to Apnea Board. You are using your Airsense 11 Autoset in standard Autoset mode with a minimum pressure of 5.0, maximum pressure 15.0 and EPR full time at 3. EPR (exhale pressure relief) reduces pressure by the amount in the setting (3-cm) during exhale. You can see this by looking at your mask pressure in Oscar. You need to increase the minimum pressure from 5.0 to 7.0 to allow EPR to work properly, and to help your machine respond ahead of obstructive events. This will result in a minimum pressure of 7.0/4.0 (inhale/exhale) which is the lowest pressure possible with EPR. Using a lower minimum pressure means you don't get the full benefits of EPR and your machine can't get the exhale pressure up fast enough to prevent apnea, hypopnea and flow limitation. Changing your pressure will reduce events to less than 1 per hour and will greatly reduce the RERA and flow limitation you are experiencing. You are also using ramp. I would like you to try turning off ramp as that has the same problem as too low minimum pressure. Try it and if you decide you need ramp, then adjust the pressure to what you tolerate. Your tolerance will naturally increase in time.

You are getting quite a few leaks from your full face mask. I prefer to see new users start on nasal therapy before going to these big awkward masks. Nasal pillows are easier to prevent form leaking and show better efficacy for users that do not open their mouth at night. You can hang your tube overhead on a lanyard tied to a Command hook or your headboard to keep the tube from dragging the mask off your face.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow thank you so much for your reply! I will change those settings and look into getting a hook.

I ended up purchasing with cash as my DME had the order for 3 months and said it may not be until April when I get one. So kind of flying by the seat of my pants based on youtube videos and my Rx paper. I was asked to schedule a followup with my doc once I've had the machine for a few weeks.

And on the mask, I wasn't really sure what to get. My wife wasn't really sure if I sleep with my mouth open and neither am I. However I don't think I do. I just figured the full mask was the sure bet.

It feels like I have a good seal, but I remember waking up a few times and needing to adjust due to a leak or to scratch my face. I don't have a beard, but trim to 0.4mm length two times a week or so which as close as my electric razor allows.

Do you have a nasal pillow you recommend.? And do you recommend most people use a chinstrap at first? I imagine there a way to see if it's being effective and if I'd need a chinstrap from the data somehow.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been using the Resmed Airfit P10 since it was first distributed. I like it a lot, and they sell a "fit kit" that includes all three cushion sizes to try. The P10 will be less expensive than your full-face. I'm seeing a deal from "SleepDirect" for the complete mask with cushions for $74. As you know we can't link to DME sites. I don't recommend a chin-strap unless you know you can't sleep with your mouth closed. If your mouth drops open, you will quickly feel a rush of air escaping, and that should be enough to prompt you to close. Learning to sleep with nasal pressure may take some practice, but in time, you will be able to control the air to the point you can talk, sip water with a straw and feel very comfortable with the pressure. The best thing about nasal pillows is it actually opens up your nasal passages, even with a cold or allergy. Many people that are mouth breathers due to nasal congestion, breathe freely at night with CPAP. Control comes from the back of the tongue. Some people suck their tongue to the roof of their mouth to block air pressure. The Mask Primer wiki is linked in my signature.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anyone know what a good starting point for a woman using an ASV would be? erouting 5 78 Yesterday, 07:36 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  First 2 nights Narcil 0 66 04-17-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Narcil
  Rising AHI the last couple of weeks Brimstone 7 222 04-12-2024, 08:22 AM
Last Post: Brimstone
  A Tale of Two Nights Everlong 0 82 04-08-2024, 05:18 AM
Last Post: Everlong
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 34 1,088 04-03-2024, 10:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  In a quandry over a couple of things... SheShells23 59 1,304 04-01-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Angry Waking Up with CPAP, Not Getting Full Nights Rest. What Settings to Change? xgrea40 3 325 04-01-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: jcp519

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.