Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Best oximeter
Best oximeter
Hi
Can anyone tell me what the best oximeter to use the wrist or the finger model thanks Bill
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Best oximeter
Many of us here use them. It depends on how much you want it to do, how many bells and whistles, etc.

The low end model (simple, easy, cheap) is the CMS 50D+ and is the one I have.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...er-CMS-50D

Here's reviews of other models:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...er-CMS-50E
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...er-CMS-50H
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...er-CMS-50F (wrist model)

Check out Supplier #19 on the Supplier's List (link at the top of every page).
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I also deleted your duplicate thread.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
One difference between the finger models and the wrist models is, with everything on your finger, the device will have to clamp just that much harder to make sure that it stays attached. With a wrist model, only the sensor goes on the finger, so the clamp pressure is slightly less.

Obviously, wrist models are more expensive than all-in-one finger models.

I would recommend you also consider the CMS-50I. It is another wrist model, similar to the CMS-50F. The difference is that the CMS-50I will store more than one session's usage, whereas the CMS-50F will erase previous session data whenever a new session starts. Additionally, the CMS-50I also generates a "perfusion index", which is sort of like a signal-to-noise value on its detection. I personally have the CMS-50F, but would have bought the CMS-50I had it been available when I bought my unit.
Post Reply Post Reply
It depends on what you want to spend - the only thing to really consider aside from that is how you wish to transfer the data (wi-fi, cable, whatever). One warning - a lot of oxymeters are non-recording types, so be very sure first that you are indeed buying a recording pulse oxymeter.

Finger devices need to be lightly taped on at night to prevent them from moving too much or falling off, but that is a danger with all types to some extent. Never tape it tight, you need the clear blood flow to the finger for it to work.

If you are wishing to use it in conjunction with either sleepyhead or resmed's proprietary data systems, you need to be sure that your model is supported by them. But in terms of reliability of data, they are all pretty much the same in most respects, wrist or finger type. The wrist type will weigh less on your finger, but it has the same risk of being dislodged or returning noise as the finger type.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you very much for all your help.
Post Reply Post Reply
Is there any US suppliers that stock the CMS50I or CMS50IW?
Post Reply Post Reply
I asked the same question in another thread, about which oximeter to get, and if I really need it. Got feedback from some fine people here, and decided to get one.

Srlevine1's thoughts on CMS50F were especially helpful (thanks man), and I ordered this one.The only recommendation of his I did not follow was not to go with cheap ones. Grin

I decided to gamble a little and ordered it from E-bay. It claims it has FDA approval, among other things. The price was considerably lower than any other place. About a half of the best price I could find in Canada.

I guess I'll soon find out whether this was the right move. Thinking-about
Post Reply Post Reply
I wish I did not need to download the data daily. At first it was ok but has become a pain. When I can I will upgrade.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pulse oximeter recommendations? p123 15 1,223 03-26-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Looking for wrist oximeter to check O2 storywizard 0 92 03-13-2024, 05:29 PM
Last Post: storywizard
Question Oximeter Sensitivity mhjunk525 1 151 03-02-2024, 11:39 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 204 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232
  [Health] Pulse oximeter readings while asleep and awake - what do these readings mean? SleepyButHopeful 11 675 02-26-2024, 03:17 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Is there a pulse oximeter that bluetooths to the Air11? cathyf 2 809 12-19-2023, 01:19 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Anyone Ever Had Insurance Cover Nightly Oximeter cmpman1974 35 2,872 12-12-2023, 04:11 PM
Last Post: cmpman1974

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.