Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Leak rate level and OA apneas between nasal and full face mask
Leak rate level and OA apneas between nasal and full face mask
Dear all,

after using for several years an OPUS 360 nasal mask, I started to observe that my sessions were not optimal due to mouth breathing (Chin straps do not really help since I feel that after testing 3 different shapes, I still get nexk pressure narrowing my airway). I switched into the full face dreamwear mask since my nose shape/size is not optimal for other types of full face masks. After a successful 6 month period and reduction of the AHI from the 3s region to 1-2s, I have not observed any substantial improvement. In fact I feel that air inserting from the nose requires now more effort, I get side leaks that wake me up (So, I added several types of mask liners to see if this can help with no apparent success). I purchased a hybrid mask from Respcare in an attempt to see if this will help me better...i.e., clear nasal pillows to have good air flow and a mouth piece that can compensate.

Looking at Oscar/Sleepyhead data I see that the leak rate for the nasal mask is way low and with the dreamwear is higher. So I have a few questions before I raise the issue where I will need your experience:

1) Do we focus only on the leak rate value or also the total leaks value? do you have any indication for a nasal, full face mask what leak rates will be considered not realistic indicating that I wear the mask not correct or mask silicone lost its flexibility?
2) Is it possible that the software reads " easier"  OAs with a nasal mask than with a full face mask (air is distributed in a larger area?). Or am I really experiencing more events with the nasal that with the full face purely due to the mouth factor?
3) with nasal mask I sense I have plenty more events like VS2, CAs, Periodic breathing that I do not have with the full face. Any thoughts that I may be registering false info?

Background: 1 picture with nasal mask where also the questions arise, 1 representative picture of a full face mask session (higher leak but lower AHI), last night session with full face mask, new mask liner, tighter fitting and a collar instead of chin strap 

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 5 55 8 minutes ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 26 570 3 hours ago
Last Post: p4ncaketim
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 32 8 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 240 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,411 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 117 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 858 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.