Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First go at sleepyhead, thoughts appreciated :)
First go at sleepyhead, thoughts appreciated :)

Hi everyone,

I've just started using apap in the last month and have just downloaded sleepyhead. I've attached a screenshot (taken with a mobile sorry, couldn't work out how to screenshot from my laptop!)

Anywat, I'd appreciate any and all input regarding the figures and graphs I've put up. I must say I'm feeling a lot better, but I can see that I've got to get the leaks under control. I suspect I'm mouth breathing and I'm hoping with time that will reduce as I get used to the p10 mask.

Thanks guys,
Troy Smile

[attachment=1717]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: First go at sleepyhead, thoughts appreciated :)
[Image: image.jpg1_1.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
G'day Troy. It looks like your therapy is working well apart from the leaks. Looking at the non-leak periods there are very few events. However the leaks are definitely going on for too long. Your Sleepyhead shot doesn't show the leak graph - it would be instructive to see if leaks are occurring outside the periods highlighted as large leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the reply DB Smile I'm going to try the large size pillows tonight (instead of medium) as I noticed a couple of times through the last few nights where I've semi-woken due to leaks from the nostrils, and I suspect that, in addition to mouth breathing, my large hooter may require the bigger ones! I've put the SD card back in the machine, so I'll post up a leak graph tomorrow (can't wake the wife up to get it tonight...that's never a fun situation..). I've also increased my minimum pressure from 7.4 to 8.2 over the last week and the AHI has come down. I'm considering increasing it a little more to perhaps encourage my mouth to stay shut as I'm really not keen on having to ever use a FFM..thanks again Smile

Out of interest my AHI during the sleep study was 22
Post Reply Post Reply
The shot in the first post shows leak graph
I think you'll need to try different mask or even different size 'pillows', one size larger or smaller, and see if works better for you

Ask your supplier for a chinstrap and keep an open mind about full face mask, can be useful for mouth breathers
I use one, whenever have a cold or just want a change from nasal mask

Post Reply Post Reply
The conventional wisdom is to use a nasal pillow one size larger than you think you need, so it sounds like you're on the right track there. Not sure that increasing the pressure will reduce your leaks - that seems a bit counterintuitive. Have you tried using a chin strap? A lot of people find they help with mouth leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
tml678,
Have you tried placing your tongue to the roof of your mouth???

This takes practice, but does work. Place your tongue to the roof of your mouth with the tip of tongue behind front teeth and suck upwards a little. This placement of the tongue will create a seal at back of throat and doesn't allow air to escape.

You will be surprised after awhile that this is where your tongue will go naturally at night.

The other thing is to try a chin strap.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone, I actually do have a chinstrap on order (should have mentioned that sorry!) so I'm hoping that may be of some assistance, but from reading other posts on here, it seems that others have had varied success at best. In relation to the tongue method, I actually do adopt this when I first go to bed, but I can't see how I can maintain it once asleep? I guess I'd never say never to a FFM, but it would certainly be a last resort but I will absolutely never give up on my treatment
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-01-2015, 07:07 AM)tml678 Wrote: I've also increased my minimum pressure from 7.4 to 8.2 over the last week and the AHI has come down.
According to pressure graph in first post shot, pressure only increased to 11 for a brief period, most of the time, stayed at the lower end between 8.5 and 9.5

Have you tried set the machine on 'CPAP mode', leak would improved as pressure stay constant during the night
Less leak = less disturb sleep = better sleep quality

Personally, I would not worry about AHI at this stage, concentrate on fixing the leaks and getting a decent night sleep, that what I'm going do right now

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-01-2015, 06:31 AM)tml678 Wrote: I've just started using apap in the last month and have just downloaded sleepyhead. I've attached a screenshot (taken with a mobile sorry, couldn't work out how to screenshot from my laptop!)

Assuming you are running Windows 7, look for the "Snipping Tool". This will let you highlight exactly what you are trying to share. Then you can upload it to your favorite sharing website.

(09-01-2015, 07:07 AM)tml678 Wrote: I've put the SD card back in the machine, so I'll post up a leak graph tomorrow (can't wake the wife up to get it tonight...that's never a fun situation..).

I could be wrong (still new to sleepyhead) but I'm pretty sure sleepyhead imports the data to your hard drive to display it. Even if you remove your SD card, you should still be able to access the historical data.
My excuse is I am at work an don't have access to the data at home. :-)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I need sleep badly! Any help with OSCAR is appreciated Quitethe1 73 1,662 Yesterday, 01:55 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Not Sure if Setting Changes Helping - Help Appreciated! WiscoKate 6 148 03-25-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: WiscoKate
  ResMed S9 AutoSet and OSCAR - Help Appreciated Slippy 12 467 03-16-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Slippy
Cool [Diagnosis] Hello! Hola! New to CPAP, first night of SD card (Help Appreciated!) punkrockcholo 29 2,129 03-06-2024, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  [Treatment] Interpreting OSCAR data - any assistance would be incredibly appreciated :) SleepyVoyager 20 895 02-29-2024, 01:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New User - Advice greatly appreciated. sparklefists 15 1,025 02-20-2024, 06:42 PM
Last Post: sparklefists
  Long time CPAP user, first time here. Any insight is appreciated! TwoFistedWonderBrain 7 614 02-06-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.