Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First (mostly) full nights sleep with data.
RE: First (mostly) full nights sleep with data.
imo, masks found on the floor in the morning are the result of discomfort from the mask itself or the pressure settings. while you're working on figuring that out, some ideas I've seen here: tape your mask to your face so you'll either be unable to remove it or you'll feel the tape peeling away; wear socks or mittens on your hands to make it more difficult to remove the mask and maybe waking you enough to stop it; some machines have a leak alert alarm in the options; someone here apparently did make their own alarm a while back (search the forum for that). some kind of hose hanger might help.
Post Reply Post Reply
How annoying for you! I know that some people have great success through running a piece of tape from one part of their face to another, crossing a strap of the mask. The theory is that if you start pulling the mask off, the sensation of the tape pulling on your skin will wake you up. Might you want to give that a try?
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-21-2019, 02:33 PM)sheepless Wrote: imo, masks found on the floor in the morning are the result of discomfort from the mask itself or the pressure settings.  

I have both of those issues. As I've increased the pressure I've had to make the mask tighter to prevent leaks. The tighter it gets, the less comfortable it has become. When I woke up this morning I had marks on my face from the pressure of the mask. I might try some tape tonight and see how that goes.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your flow limitations are pretty amazing. That looks pretty awful, and uncomfortable. It really looks like you need to be on a bilevel therapy, which would allow much lower pressure, but the pressure support would help you to breathe normally. Have you had an examination of your upper airway to understand why you have this? It is a very strong indicator of upper airway resistance.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=17289]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
17WRX, just thought I'd let you know there is a Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto in the Phoenix Craigslist for $400. It showed up in your Tuscon listings. That is a far better solution than your airsense 10 Autoset.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I went to one sleep doctor a few months ago but didn't really like dealing with them so I made an appointment with another one who I'll see on the 3rd next month. I did one home sleep study but freaked out and left the hospital one. It was awful. Luckily I didn't get the cpap the last doctor prescribed for me because I was worried I would not be able to use it enough for the insurance. The machine I'm using now I bought from someone for cash. Hopefully the new doctor will prescribe me whatever it is I need. I'll bring my laptop with the all of my oscar data to show her.

I've tried reading about flow limitations but I just can't seem to understand it. Do you know of a guide that explains it in laymens terms? I thought the only thing important was the AHI so I felt I was doing pretty good with it all. Will the doctor clearly see the need in my data? And last but not least, which is the best machine/model for me? I like the Resmed I have more than the Phillips I used for the hospital sleep study. But I don't know a thing about Bilevel. Are they all data capable? I want to know whats going on.
Post Reply Post Reply
Please review our Flow Limitations wiki. Your flow limitations from the image above are worse than the ones I used in the examples in that wiki. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...Limitation

Read the rationale by Dr. Krakow of using bilevel therapy to treat UARS and flow limitation in this wiki http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._and_BiPAP

Flow limitation is simply a restriction in your airway that limits the amount of air that can flow. It is like kinking a water hose. Even when pressure is constant, the water that can flow through the hose is limited. We can increase the flow by easing the kink or increasing the pressure. Bilevel provides comfortable low pressure during exhale that prevents obstruction, but provides pressure support during inhale to increase flow, more than your respiratory effort (diaphram and chest muscles) can accomplish alone. this limiteation of flow, and increased effort of respiration results in respiratory event realted arousals (RERA). This is very disruptive to sleep and results in the symptoms you are experiencing. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._and_BiPAP

Your current treatment achieves a low AHI, and your doctor may be satisfied with that. If he goes beyond AHI and observes how limited your inspiration flow is (flattened flow rates instead of rounded normal peaks), he might suggest seeing an ENT (ortholarangologist) or bilevel pressure to overcome your discomfort and respiratory event related arousals (RERA).
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you very much for this information.
Post Reply Post Reply
            From the links you posted and everything else I've read it appears that I may have UARS in addition to obstructive sleep apnea. I must of woke up 7 times and I've had a bad headache ever since I got up this morning. Sometimes I feel worse getting treatment than without it.
Post Reply Post Reply
You had over 5 hrs of non-therapeutic 'sleep' time because of your 45-minute ramp, either shorten it way down (5-10 minutes) or turn it off,  You seem to do better post ramp in the charts.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 161 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 514 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 251 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  21 nights in, seeking advice smmille1 3 211 03-10-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: smmille1
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,586 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 245 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 206 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.