Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First night
First night
Tonight will be my first night, wish me luck! Got my machine today and getting ready.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: First night
(10-16-2013, 08:42 PM)Jasonlboyd Wrote: Tonight will be my first night, wish me luck! Got my machine today and getting ready.
Hi Jasonlboyd
Journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step
Best of luck to you
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-16-2013, 08:51 PM)zonk Wrote:
(10-16-2013, 08:42 PM)Jasonlboyd Wrote: Tonight will be my first night, wish me luck! Got my machine today and getting ready.
Hi Jasonlboyd
Journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step
Best of luck to you
Have a good sleep .
Post Reply Post Reply
If your like most of us, the first night was tough...but keep it up, it gets way better.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Jason,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Rest well and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

It will be beneficial to you, if you can, to download sleepy head and ResScan software and monitor your data.

Happy sleeping!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hang tough, and remember, the sooner you keep the mask on all night, the sooner you will get used to it.

Start telling yourself you can't breathe in bed without it, and other stuff like that to brain-wash yourself.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, the first night wasn't too bad. It took me a little longer to fall asleep than usual, but not too long. I noticed when I rolled to my side that it would leak a little around the edge of the mask. Not enough to hurt anything, and not really bothersome, but I would end up going to my back again to stop the leak. I woke up a couple times during the night and I couldn't tell the machine was even on until I'd change my breathing a little and feel the pressure. I don't think it will take me long to get used to it. I woke up about 3 hours after I went to sleep and thought real hard about taking the mask and throwing it on the floor, but I didn't. I did notice that when the alarm clock is across the room, your wife will get a little irritated waiting on you to get unhooked to turn the alarm off when you wake up an hour before she does....
I noticed 3 things I have questions about.

1) My throat was a little sore when I woke up, and has continued to be not for about 2 1/2 hours, should I turn up the humidifier?
2) It seemed that over 7-7 1/2 hours of sleep, there was only a trace amount of water missing from the humidifier, is this common?
3) I noticed I had a stale taste in my mouth when I woke up, is this normal? I think I am normally a nose breather, but resort to mouth breathing automatically when I seem to not get enough air.

I had my humidifier set on 2, this is where the lady who set me up with the machine said she usually started everyone off at.
Other info- S9 Elite, H5 Humidifier, Slim Hose, Mirage FX Nasal Mask. Arkansas is known for high humidity so this could be a factor. Pressure of 10, 20 min ramp starting at 8.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-17-2013, 07:37 AM)Jasonlboyd Wrote: Well, the first night wasn't too bad. It took me a little longer to fall asleep than usual, but not too long. I noticed when I rolled to my side that it would leak a little around the edge of the mask. Not enough to hurt anything, and not really bothersome, but I would end up going to my back again to stop the leak. I woke up a couple times during the night and I couldn't tell the machine was even on until I'd change my breathing a little and feel the pressure. I don't think it will take me long to get used to it. I woke up about 3 hours after I went to sleep and thought real hard about taking the mask and throwing it on the floor, but I didn't. I did notice that when the alarm clock is across the room, your wife will get a little irritated waiting on you to get unhooked to turn the alarm off when you wake up an hour before she does....
I noticed 3 things I have questions about.

1) My throat was a little sore when I woke up, and has continued to be not for about 2 1/2 hours, should I turn up the humidifier?
2) It seemed that over 7-7 1/2 hours of sleep, there was only a trace amount of water missing from the humidifier, is this common?
3) I noticed I had a stale taste in my mouth when I woke up, is this normal? I think I am normally a nose breather, but resort to mouth breathing automatically when I seem to not get enough air.

I had my humidifier set on 2, this is where the lady who set me up with the machine said she usually started everyone off at.
Other info- S9 Elite, H5 Humidifier, Slim Hose, Mirage FX Nasal Mask. Arkansas is known for high humidity so this could be a factor. Pressure of 10, 20 min ramp starting at 8.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Your throat being sore could be that you opened your mouth during sleep. Have you tried a full face mask? Have you tried a chin strap?

Just curious why they didn't give you an Auto Set.

I am sure someone else here will be able to answer your other questions for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
I can't answer your questions, but I'm new to this too and that's about how my first night went. Good luck. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First night with hose cover, night was full of major mask leaks TiredTom111 2 849 06-30-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: TiredTom111
  Hello folks, here is my graph from last night and night before Phil487 5 897 06-15-2023, 02:05 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Great Night into Terrible Night dcsleep 1 1,109 12-15-2020, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Pressure] AHI varies from night to night KKBW 6 1,340 07-31-2020, 10:29 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  New to CPAP - First Night Great, Second Night not so much oasised 22 3,233 07-24-2020, 10:26 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Here is my data from 3rd night and Friday night slingshot383 16 2,252 05-25-2020, 05:35 AM
Last Post: slingshot383
Question One night AHI 0, next night leaks and high AHI. MyronH 7 2,201 09-29-2018, 09:29 AM
Last Post: MyronH

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.