Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First night
Thumbsdown 
First night
Hello everyone, just wanted to share my crappy first night with the vpap and see if anyone had any tips.

I went for my sleep study a few weeks ago, and they did a split night. They woke me up around 1, slapped a mask on me, told me nothing, and wondered why I couldn't fall back asleep for almost two hours.

During that time, I noticed every time I started to nod off, I would wake up feeling like I wasn't breathing. This resulted in them only get a few hours of time with me asleep, so they kind of guesstimated what my pressure should be when I went home.

Fast Forward to last night.

I kept nodding off for a few minutes, and waking up feeling like I wasn't breathing. This seemed to happen like 6-7 times. I finally fell asleep, but woke up an hour later with dry throat(humidity was on 80, moved it to 85). I tried falling back asleep, went through the same struggle getting asleep, and woke up again with a dry throat after another hour and a half. At this point I couldn't go back to sleep with the head gear on.

I'm curious if the waking up feeling like I'm not breathing is normal, or if it means my pressure needs to be adjusted.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: First night
Welcome, Dgsr. While I don't have any experience with a VPAP, it sounds like you may need a chin strap to assist in keeping your mouth closed.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks!

I thought chinstraps weren't required for full face masks though? I do have a deviated septum, which possibly causes me some airflow issues through my nose.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-04-2014, 11:04 AM)Dgsr Wrote: Thanks!

I thought chinstraps weren't required for full face masks though? I do have a deviated septum, which possibly causes me some airflow issues through my nose.

I think that what Pollcat is trying to say is that a chin strap would probably help the dry mouth problem which is probably from mouth breathing even with a full face mask.

I am sure that there are others who have had problems breathing at one time or another who will be chiming in and I am sure you will get plenty of information.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Do you know what pressure they set the machine at? Waking up feeling like you're not getting enough air is a symptom of not getting enough air. Strange as that sounds. So to begin with, we need to know how much air, if any, is actually coming through your machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Dgsr,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I'm sorry you had such a bad night but hang in there with it, the therapy can take some getting used to.
What you might try is, during the evening while you are watching TV or reading, wear the mask and use your machine to help your body get used to this new way of sleeping.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and best of luck with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-04-2014, 01:39 PM)retired_guy Wrote: So to begin with, we need to know how much air, if any, is actually coming through your machine.

I'm set for 18 on intake, and 14 when breathing out. Not getting enough air was also my concern, as the Dr. had to make a little big of a WAG when setting my pressure. I don't think I got enough real sleep during the study to be 100% on my levels. The DME was supposed to send me home with an oximeter to help with making sure my levels were correct, but they (and I) forgot about it on my way out yesterday.

I tried watching TV prior to attempting to go to sleep, and I'm not terribly uncomfortable with the mask on. I have a slight feeling of discomfort, like I can't get my whole breath out, but I think its just a matter of getting used to breathing against the pressure.

My main concern was just that if I can't get to sleep with the mask on, then I'll never get used to it.

Thanks for the replies everyone!
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-04-2014, 09:22 AM)Dgsr Wrote: Hello everyone, just wanted to share my crappy first night with the vpap and see if anyone had any tips.
Hello Dgsr
Some have the good luck to adapt from the first night but not that simple for most of us.
My first night was crappy too, the first 3 months did not get much sleep either
As for dry mouth, its expected with full face mask as you,re breathing through the mouth, customize humidity helps somewhat. whats the leak?

Any tips ... http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...CPAP_users

Post Reply Post Reply
I have and use the Quattro air and to help with keeping my mouth closed. I ware it as high as I can on the bridge of my nose. This puts the bottom of the mask close to my mouth helping to keep it closed. My pressure is 11 and I do not have trouble breathing out so I can't help u there. Good luck.
"Being happy doesn’t mean that everything is perfect. It means you’ve decided to look beyond the imperfections." ~Unknown
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-04-2014, 03:28 PM)Dgsr Wrote:
(02-04-2014, 01:39 PM)retired_guy Wrote: So to begin with, we need to know how much air, if any, is actually coming through your machine.

I'm set for 18 on intake, and 14 when breathing out.

I really don't know if those numbers are correct or not. We need (and I'm really sure we'll find) someone who is using a VPAP to say if they are in the reasonable range or not.

I don't know how that machine works, but on the surface it seems to me that if you take in 18 and put out 14, you're going to hyperventilate. But as I said, I don't know how the VPAP thing works. So hang in there until we get an opinion or two.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First night with hose cover, night was full of major mask leaks TiredTom111 2 849 06-30-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: TiredTom111
  Hello folks, here is my graph from last night and night before Phil487 5 897 06-15-2023, 02:05 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Great Night into Terrible Night dcsleep 1 1,109 12-15-2020, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Pressure] AHI varies from night to night KKBW 6 1,340 07-31-2020, 10:29 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  New to CPAP - First Night Great, Second Night not so much oasised 22 3,234 07-24-2020, 10:26 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Here is my data from 3rd night and Friday night slingshot383 16 2,252 05-25-2020, 05:35 AM
Last Post: slingshot383
Question One night AHI 0, next night leaks and high AHI. MyronH 7 2,201 09-29-2018, 09:29 AM
Last Post: MyronH

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.