Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First night
RE: First night
(02-04-2014, 06:18 PM)retired_guy Wrote: but on the surface it seems to me that if you take in 18 and put out 14, you're going to hyperventilate.

I'm not entirely sure myself. It seems to work similar to a CPAP with EPR. It's forcing 18 up my nose when I inhale, and senses when I begin to exhale, and brings the pressure down lower(14). I assume a VPAP/BiPAP just allows a larger swing between pressures. Which is also why I don't understand the recommendation of a VPAP, only to set a 4 point difference.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-04-2014, 05:20 PM)zonk Wrote: whats the leak?

I can't really trust the daily report, because I was doing mask fitting and learning last night, so it's through the roof.

When I was looking at the screen while wearing it, and adjusting my mask, I was usually under 5. I saw as high as 10-11 at times.

Hopefully I'll have a better idea after tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I made it 2.9 hours last night. I estimate 2 hours of that to be solid sleep, which is better than my first night. Once I woke up, I just couldn't go back to sleep with it on. I guess I'm less tolerant in the middle of the night, because it sure felt like I tried to go back to sleep for more than another hour.

Also my leak and AHI information were probably a lot closer to accurate this time, since the machine wasn't on during mask testing/fitting and just being turned on randomly.

My AHI was 2.7, and my leak was 7L/min.

My mask was tight as all get out. I know less leak is better, but I've read on various threads about the acceptable number for ResMed is under 24L/min. Should I consider loosening up a little bit and accepting a little more leak in exchange for comfort?
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-05-2014, 10:50 AM)Dgsr Wrote: Well, I made it 2.9 hours last night. I estimate 2 hours of that to be solid sleep, which is better than my first night. Once I woke up, I just couldn't go back to sleep with it on. I guess I'm less tolerant in the middle of the night, because it sure felt like I tried to go back to sleep for more than another hour.

Also my leak and AHI information were probably a lot closer to accurate this time, since the machine wasn't on during mask testing/fitting and just being turned on randomly.

My AHI was 2.7, and my leak was 7L/min.

My mask was tight as all get out. I know less leak is better, but I've read on various threads about the acceptable number for ResMed is under 24L/min. Should I consider loosening up a little bit and accepting a little more leak in exchange for comfort?

I'm thinking a couple of things Dgsr.... Yes it sounds like your mask is too tight. There is a great thread out here somewhere about how to adjust the mask, and it makes the point that you put it on gently and allow the mask to make the seal it was engineered to do. You may or may not get more leaks that way when you toss and turn in the night, but you will most certainly will be happier to wear the thing.

The other thing is you sound a bit like me when I started using a mask. I fought it every step of the way. When you said "I made it 2.9 hours" that reminded me of how I felt "oh good, I tolerated the stupid thing for 3 hours this time... Far better than the 15 minutes earlier." That sort of stuff.

Once I "surrendered" to the mask and machine and allowed them to have their way with me I was much happier. Then, working on mask fit until it was more comfortable I finally achieved the nirvana point when the mask and I became one. Not always, but at least some times.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-05-2014, 10:50 AM)Dgsr Wrote: Should I consider loosening up a little bit and accepting a little more leak in exchange for comfort?
I would do just that. comfort is essential, mask that hurt wont be on your face for long before removing it. my leak number is higher than yours, does not bother me at all as long as not disrupting my sleep or goes near my eyes which is a no no. leak number on the screen is 95th percentile ... leak was at or below this number for 95% of the time. good mask fit indicate 70th percentile leak is less than 24 L/m

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the info!

I'll try to do some searching on mask fitment. I tried following the video from ResMed, but it only resulted in air shooting into my left eye.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-05-2014, 02:39 PM)Dgsr Wrote: Thanks for the info!

I'll try to do some searching on mask fitment. I tried following the video from ResMed, but it only resulted in air shooting into my left eye.
personally I prefer masks with the forehead dial like the original quattro and my mask, might looks bulky for some but the forehead dial allows you to fix leak into the eyes

here is quattro air review http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-face-mask

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-05-2014, 03:01 PM)zonk Wrote: personally I prefer masks with the forehead dial like the original quattro and my mask, might looks bulky for some but the forehead dial allows you to fix leak into the eyes

I wanted the original quattro, but my DME would have had to order it. They said if they ordered it, I couldn't return it. So I went ahead and tried the air, since I have two weeks to return it.

I'm going to ask my Dr. for a list of the rest of the local DME's in the area and do some calling around to compare what they carry and their return policy. Not sure if this is standard, but they might not be my DME for long.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-05-2014, 04:15 PM)Dgsr Wrote:
(02-05-2014, 03:01 PM)zonk Wrote: personally I prefer masks with the forehead dial like the original quattro and my mask, might looks bulky for some but the forehead dial allows you to fix leak into the eyes

I wanted the original quattro, but my DME would have had to order it. They said if they ordered it, I couldn't return it. So I went ahead and tried the air, since I have two weeks to return it.

I'm going to ask my Dr. for a list of the rest of the local DME's in the area and do some calling around to compare what they carry and their return policy. Not sure if this is standard, but they might not be my DME for long.

My new DME brought me 11 masks to try. My old DME (Apria) will let you look at the masks but they won't let you try them on, at least in my state that is how they do it. They have a few different masks on dummy heads to look at and that is it.

This is why I like my new DME. the manager drove from his office and met me at the sleep lab where I was having my titration in a few weeks to let me try them on. They were all brand new in the original package and unopened.

Post Reply Post Reply
I don't like this business of not allowing the client to pick out what ever mask they want.
With the profits the DME's are rolling in they could let you try them ALL on and throw them away afterwards.
The revolving door they have going on with the health insurance companies would cause you to break out in a rash
if you could see their cash flow. They really make their money in "machine rentals' where they buy the machine
and rent it to you at $800 a month (billed to insurance) for a good part of the year then some will even bill YOU for a major fraction of the purchase price (if you keep up with compliance) after pocketing all that rent money.
DO not be fooled, they are still just picking your pocket inidirectly with the insurance company acting as middle man.

I am not making this up. There is a link you can search google for "The True Cost of Health Care" by David Belk, MD
You will be astounded.
*end rant*

Good luck with your therapy, Dgsr
Stay with it and live long enough to be a constant problem for your DME!

Sleep-well
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First night with hose cover, night was full of major mask leaks TiredTom111 2 850 06-30-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: TiredTom111
  Hello folks, here is my graph from last night and night before Phil487 5 897 06-15-2023, 02:05 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Great Night into Terrible Night dcsleep 1 1,109 12-15-2020, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Pressure] AHI varies from night to night KKBW 6 1,341 07-31-2020, 10:29 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  New to CPAP - First Night Great, Second Night not so much oasised 22 3,234 07-24-2020, 10:26 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Here is my data from 3rd night and Friday night slingshot383 16 2,252 05-25-2020, 05:35 AM
Last Post: slingshot383
Question One night AHI 0, next night leaks and high AHI. MyronH 7 2,202 09-29-2018, 09:29 AM
Last Post: MyronH

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.