Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First night - Claustrophobic
RE: First night - Claustrophobic
Welcome Crysti, it took me the best part of a few weeks before I became a wee bit comfortable with my mask and machine. I was determined like you that it was not going to beat me and I am pleased to say it hasn't.
We just have to take it easy on ourselves, be gentle and take one day at a time, one breath at a time.
I was lucky and didn't suffer with the claustrophobia problem like you, so I am not sure what to say about that. I use pillows, Aifit P10 which just go up in to my nostrils so my nose and mouth aren't covered.
I wish you all the best, just remember to take it easy and take one day at a time.
Stay in touch and ask any questions you may have, you will always receive an answer here.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply

[/quote]
Perhaps persons of high intelligence are more sensitive to change.
[/quote]

I'm sure you are 100% correct! Laugh-a-lot
Update:

Night two went MUCH better. I did call and ask for a nasal pillow, which is what I was supposed to have been given. However, I was determined last night to prove to myself that I could do this, and I did. I slept all night with my mask on. It took a while to get used to it, but, I managed. I woke up feeling wide awake. I'm usually one who drags until 10:00 or later.

Thanks for all of the wonderful advice!
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-02-2014, 09:50 AM)Crysti Wrote: Update:

Night two went MUCH better. I did call and ask for a nasal pillow, which is what I was supposed to have been given. However, I was determined last night to prove to myself that I could do this, and I did. I slept all night with my mask on. It took a while to get used to it, but, I managed. I woke up feeling wide awake. I'm usually one who drags until 10:00 or later.

Good job Crrsti! Now you KNOW it can work. Before you simply hoped so. It'll get easier and better for you. There may be a few bumps in the road, but nothing you will not be able to handle. Your hubby must be very proud of you.
Post Reply Post Reply
So if you are able to use a Nasal Pillow AT ALL, your best bets will be the Resmed Airfit P10 (those who CAN use it almost always find it either the best mask every or very close to it) or the Fisher & Paykel Pilairo which is a close 2nd and has adjustable headgear.

The main issue for SOME people with the P10 is that the headgear only adjust a small amounts -- due to its minimalist nature.

IF you can use it then it is really a great mask that almost disappears once you get a little bit used to it.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-02-2014, 01:19 PM)herbm Wrote: So if you are able to use a Nasal Pillow AT ALL, your best bets will be the Resmed Airfit P10 (those who CAN use it almost always find it either the best mask every or very close to it) or the Fisher & Paykel Pilairo which is a close 2nd and has adjustable headgear.

The main issue for SOME people with the P10 is that the headgear only adjust a small amounts -- due to its minimalist nature.

IF you can use it then it is really a great mask that almost disappears once you get a little bit used to it.

I had a nasal pillow when I did the second part of my sleep study (titration? I'm still learning all the cool kids lingo Smile ) and did okay with it. I only slept two hours that night, so "okay" may not be the best choice of words.

I read in bed every night and I wear glasses. With the nasal mask I have now, I can't put my glasses on, so I can't read. I also have red marks around my nose from the mask last night. The RT told me I had a tiny nose, so the small she gave me might be too big still. I'm hoping my phone call to the insurance company and doctor's office yesterday will result in me having a new mask sooner rather than later. When (if) they call me, I'll request the model you've mentioned.

Thank you for your helpful input.
Post Reply Post Reply
Glad you are doing so much better. Just keep at it and it will get better as you acclimate more and more to it and find the things that work best for *YOU*.

The pillows are great for reading as NOTHING needs to come up above the bottom of your nose.

With a good nasal pillow mask the marks are minimal, and with the P10, I don't even get strap marks.

To use a pillow (or a nasal) mask you just need to be able to:

1) Breathe through your nose

2) Keep you mouth closed (on your own or with a strap, tape, etc.)

Having to use a strap to keep you mouth close is a nuisance and negates SOME of the benefit of a minimalist pillow mask, but it still is generally preferable from what I can determine.

With the P10, you need one more caveat: The head strap has very LITTLE adjustment so it has to approximately fit you. (Oddly enough most people do make it work.)

Some people cut the strap or otherwise rebuild it -- I think Gabby did that with velcro.

The P10 comes in a "for Her" which replaces the LARGE pillow with an EXTRA Small (you get Small and Medium with both the regular and the lady's mask though.)

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

Post Reply Post Reply
Perhaps persons of high intelligence are more sensitive to change.
[/quote]

I'm sure you are 100% correct! Laugh-a-lot
Update:

[/quote]
Hi Crysti,
GOOD JOB! Keep up the good work.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Crysti:
Welcome Aboard:

I too like to read in bed and wear glasses. You'll find the nasal pillows will let you do this.

Good Luck and hang in there, it gets easier with time.
Sleep-wellCoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Chrysti,

That you were DETERMINED to wear the mask the THE MOST important thing but the news that you made it through the night and FEEL BETTER is amazing.

Many people go a long time before having EITHER of those successes.

One of the KEYS is to remain DETERMINED to wear the mask and get the treatment.

Don't let them just give you "any" mask, the DME works for YOU!

You can take your business elsewhere with most insurance if they don't service you properly.

You can also rat them out to the insurance company if they don't follow through on promises....

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First night with hose cover, night was full of major mask leaks TiredTom111 2 850 06-30-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: TiredTom111
  Hello folks, here is my graph from last night and night before Phil487 5 897 06-15-2023, 02:05 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Great Night into Terrible Night dcsleep 1 1,109 12-15-2020, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Pressure] AHI varies from night to night KKBW 6 1,341 07-31-2020, 10:29 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  New to CPAP - First Night Great, Second Night not so much oasised 22 3,234 07-24-2020, 10:26 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Here is my data from 3rd night and Friday night slingshot383 16 2,252 05-25-2020, 05:35 AM
Last Post: slingshot383
Question One night AHI 0, next night leaks and high AHI. MyronH 7 2,201 09-29-2018, 09:29 AM
Last Post: MyronH

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.