Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First night by the numbers: I've got basic questions
First night by the numbers: I've got basic questions
I don't have a card reader yet for the SD card, but I'm also not planning to sweat too much about data minutiae while I get used to getting hosed.

However, I'm not sure how to understand some of the figures on my User panel, and Resmed evidently doesn't think the sleep-deprived will want to know.

The panel I'm looking at says this:

Events per hour 9.3. Is that with the CPAP or without?

What are these numbers and how do they relate to one another? Do these include hypopneas? Do these reflect an O2 desat percentage (this was an issue in my original diagnosis otherwise I might not give a rip)?
AHI 9.3
Total AI 9.0
Central AI 6.9

17l leak rate...is that an average, mean, minumum, max? Considering my jaw flopped completely open at some points this figure seems overly low. And what do the liters mean anyway? How much does a liter effectively reduce the pressure?

As for the mask smiley...it was grinning big time when I had the mask breezing all over my face. It must only be relevant if you have the thing on backwards.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: First night by the numbers: I've got basic questions
(09-29-2017, 10:52 AM)HalfAsleep Wrote: I don't have a card reader yet for the SD card, but I'm also not planning to sweat too much about data minutiae while I get used to getting hosed.

However, I'm not sure how to understand some of the figures on my User panel, and Resmed evidently doesn't think the sleep-deprived will want to know.

The panel I'm looking at says this:

Events per hour 9.3. Is that with the CPAP or without?

What are these numbers and how do they relate to one another? Do these include hypopneas? Do these reflect an O2 desat percentage (this was an issue in my original diagnosis otherwise I might not give a rip)?
AHI 9.3
Total AI 9.0
Central AI 6.9

17l leak rate...is that an average, mean, minumum, max? Considering my jaw flopped completely open at some points this figure seems overly low. And what do the liters mean anyway? How much does a liter effectively reduce the pressure?

As for the mask smiley...it was grinning big time when I had the mask breezing all over my face. It must only be relevant if you have the thing on backwards.

I love your writing style Big Grin

AHI = Apnea Hypopnea Index, that 9.3 is the average number of events you are having per hour.  The lower the number, the better.  Same with the Centrals.

Others more knowledgeable than I can give you more info.

You might try a soft cervical collar to keep your jaw closed.

I just got the same machine the other day, and so far I like it.  I could do without the smiley faces, though.
Post Reply Post Reply
9.3 is your Apnea events per hour. Anything below 5 is considered "treated" but is certainly not optimal. Your machine will not keep track of oxygen desats by itself. For that you would need to attach a device that clips onto the end of your finger. However the Resmed branded oxygen measurement device is exceedingly expensive. Many of us use an aftermarket one. A quick search on the boards here will get you lot of information on this topic.

The leak rate you are being shown is an overall average. 17L is considered below the total leak redline and is not severe so in other words you don't have a significant leak issue.

My advice to you is to post your sleepyhead data so that we can give you more meaningful advice. Please see my signature for information on how to do all that and how to arrange the data as well as posting here. Without seeing the actual data, trying to suggest improvements would be a bit like hunting around in the dark.

As far as preventing your jaw from opening, I myself use a chin strap but occasionally will get air blowing past my lips. Some folks use medical tape to keep their lips closed and you can either use a soft cervical collar or a chin strap for your jaw. An additional benefit of the soft cervical collar is that it can help to keep your neck aligned to prevent positional apneas (where you are tucking your chin in) caused by an overly deep and soft pillow. I would in general recommend a more firm pillow using material such as memory foam, buckwheat hulls or other such material. Seeing the data will help us determine whether you are experiencing positional apneas or whether your pressure needs are being met adequately. A starting pressure of 5 is quite low and would not be sufficient for many people.
Post Reply Post Reply
The AHI number is the treated number, how many events you had per hour while on the machine.

Now that number might seem a bit high, but for the first night it is not that unusual.

The AHI of 9.3 is further broken down into 

AI: 9.0 This is the total number of APNEAS (obstructive and central ) you had per hour on the machine.

CA 6.9. The number of central apneas (so to figure out the number of obstructive apneas you had, subtract 6.9 from 9.0 which gives you 2.1 obstructive events per hour)

Which leaves you with 0.3 for the hypopnea total, per hour. 

The data does not reflect oxygen levels. An oximeter  is required for measuring that.  

Many folks start out having a lot of central events for the first few weeks. I did. It reduced greatly over time, so don't worry about centrals yet.

What you want to do is see the obstructive and hypopnea number be as low as possible because that is what the machine is treating. 

As for the leak data, I am not that informed about leak data (never been an issue for me) so see what others say. I use a soft cervical collar and don't have an issue with leaks for the most part. You might want to try that as well. 

Once you load Sleepyhead data you will be amazed at what you can do to improve your treatment!
Post Reply Post Reply
Go into your settings and change Essentials setting from ON to PLUS. That will give you a better detail of on-screen data. The AHI is too high, and it can be partially getting used to PAP, partially the leaks and we can address all of this later as you get used to things. Meanwhile, it helps us to know what your average and 90% pressure was as well as EPR setting. All of this will be visible once you change Essentials to Plus.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
We have a wiki.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php?title=Acronyms
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
So, I'm gathering from you that the AHI indicated in the info panel is the AHI DESPITE the CPAP treatment?

That's a lot. My sleep study must have grossly underestimated the number. I thought as much...

Some of that number is likely from the cyclone of leakage at a late stage in the night, but I did check earlier when the leakage was a better number, and the AHI was higher than I anticipated then, too.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-29-2017, 12:41 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Go into your settings and change Essentials setting from ON to PLUS.  That will give you a better detail of on-screen data.   The AHI is too high, and it can be partially getting used to PAP, partially the leaks and  we can address all of this later as you get used to things.  Meanwhile, it helps us to know what your average and 90% pressure was as well as EPR setting. All of this will be visible once you change Essentials to Plus.

Pressure reads 9.6. Range autoset 5-15. EPR 2.

Tonight I'm going to focus on leakage. Maybe my SD card reader will get delivered, too.
Post Reply Post Reply
If your settings on the machine are not optimized AND you are still getting used to the treatment that is not an uncommon number. Your untreated AHI values are likely much, much higher.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-29-2017, 01:08 PM)HalfAsleep Wrote: So, I'm gathering from you that the AHI indicated in the info panel is the AHI DESPITE the CPAP treatment?

That's a lot. My sleep study must have grossly underestimated the number. I thought as much...

Some of that number is likely from the cyclone of leakage at a late stage in the night, but I did check earlier when the leakage was a better number, and the AHI was higher than I anticipated then, too.

Yep, the AHI of 9.3 is your current "treated" number.  It is high, but not unusual for just starting out.

Your CA events make up a good portion of your total, but is not uncommon this early in treatment.
You may need to turn EPR to 1 or off.

Your reported leak rate of 17L is ok too, anything over 24L and the machine may not be able to accurately flag events.  

The leaks you feel are more than likely mouth breathing.  You could try a soft cervical collar.  This helps to keep your jaw/mouth from dropping open.  

Once we see some #SleepyHead data, we can give better advice.  

It would be beneficial for all once you post your data is to post to one thread.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Juniper's questions juniper 5 76 56 minutes ago
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 230 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Can someone help me make sense of my Therapy Numbers? kc90 6 334 02-21-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: kc90
  Basic question after night #1 Jskier 33 2,126 01-29-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Frustrating insomnia continues despite numbers alienfrontier 10 564 01-27-2024, 02:04 PM
Last Post: alienfrontier
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 298 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer
  Need Help. Many Questions wkennedy 6 441 12-31-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: wkennedy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.