Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First night ever - First Nights Data
First night ever - First Nights Data
I got up a few times. Am I supposed to turn machine off or just take mask off or unplug if I have to get up? What is best for the data collection?

Three of the times I woke up with very dry mouth and throat, much like if I had a really good snoring session. Does the heated climate hose help that or is that just a function of the humidifier and the regular tube? I am a mouth breather (with FF mask)

I've printed the beginners guide to Sleepyhead and am studying - I would appreciate anything your experienced eyes see in these that I should be looking at. My sleep test showed AHI 20, OAI 9.5, Hypopneas 10.3

The overall experience wasn't as bad as I had anticipated. The mask is definitely the hardest part to get "right" (and I'm not even sure its right...) but when it's blowing air into my eyeballs I am taking a wild guess that things aren't optimal Bigwink

When I have it all on and going I "think" it makes me feel sleepy (?) or maybe that's what I know it is all for so I get sleepy? Also it reminds me of being on an airplane for some reason....

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: First night ever - First Nights Data
Hi!
Common practice is to turn your CPAP off when not using it. Otherwise your sleep data will be skewed and show a large leak during this time. This includes bathroom breaks during the night.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I made a google doc, won't let me post links. Tried uploading the screen shot, says exceeded 200KB. ?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Meredith,

I am only one week ahead of you on learning about learning how to view my data. You will find this site a wealth of information lots of people to help.

Here are two links that were shared with me on how to get your screenshots on the site, they give all the steps and it works well. Now that you are over 4 posts, you should have no problem posting links.

How to organize your Sleepyhead
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ganization

How to post images
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...pnea_Board

Good Luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
[Image: 5nn0rrI.png]
Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
If you wake up with dry mouth I would recommend the climate line hose and use humidity setting on Auto. Set the tube temp to your liking. My throat likes 84. Others prefer colder or warmer. You just have to experiment and find what works for you.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-19-2016, 09:09 AM)Meredith410 Wrote: I got up a few times. Am I supposed to turn machine off or just take mask off or unplug if I have to get up? What is best for the data collection?

Shut the machine down every time you wake up. Otherwise you get meaningless data in your results, which you don't need.

Quote:Three of the times I woke up with very dry mouth and throat, much like if I had a really good snoring session. Does the heated climate hose help that or is that just a function of the humidifier and the regular tube? I am a mouth breather (with FF mask)

I had the same problem. A chin strap helped me avoid mouth breathing. I found a FFM doesn't stop my mouth drying out when I mouth breath even when set at highest humidity from the machine. So now I wear the FFM with a chin strap.

Quote:I've printed the beginners guide to Sleepyhead and am studying - I would appreciate anything your experienced eyes see in these that I should be looking at. My sleep test showed AHI 20, OAI 9.5, Hypopneas 10.3

Don't draw big conclusions from one night. If after a week or so you are having an AHI over 5 you may need to increase the pressure if it's mainly obstructive apneas and hypopneas. If it's mainly open airway events then this may go away with getting used to the machine, but if it doesn't you may need a different type of machine. In either event a consultation with your doctor or sleep therapist would be a good idea if your AHI stays over 5. IF your AHI is under 5 and your mask isn't leaking excessively (SleepyHead will warn you) then it's working.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
Make sure the humidifier is full before going to sleep. It is less likely to run out while sleeping (Been there; woke with the Sahara visiting my throat!)

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the suggestions... I did try the climate line and it seems like it will help, but I also think I'm going to have to get my mouth shut somehow as well.

Some thing went really wrong. The mask felt like it wouldn't get right and the machine seemed like it was blowing really hard the entire time. (Like hanging head out of an airplane....).

Saw the crazy AHI number after about an hour and turned it all off.

This is starting to feel like it is going to be like breaking a wild horse....... Oh-jeez

[Image: 5kB2edTl.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
Your minimum pressure of 7 is not doing you any good. With a 95% number at over 12cm, it may make a difference in treating the number of obstructives you have if you move the minimum pressure up. I would start to move it up by 1cm every couple days until you start to see a difference. You will probably need to be at a minimum pressure of 10cm.

Flow limitation is also high, which indicates not enought air flow.

Fixing leaks is important, whether it be your mask or mouth breathing.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First night done, now what? (OSCAR data attached) Stephaniea0213 5 140 03-20-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 248 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  21 nights in, seeking advice smmille1 3 211 03-10-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: smmille1
  First two nights with results meettherobinsons 5 451 01-18-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: meettherobinsons
  First week - One "good" night and waking up with mask off most nights ghost10 9 682 12-15-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: ghost10
  [Treatment] My very first two nights! domod 6 581 11-30-2023, 10:06 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Sad One of my worst nights. adamwhereartthou 1 450 11-06-2023, 02:23 PM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.