Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First night ever - First Nights Data
RE: First night ever - First Nights Data
Are there any machine adjustments you would suggest? Should I try the constant pressure now?

[Image: OcoQbAPl.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
How are you feeling comfort-wise? If you are feeling resistance to exhaling, you could increase EPR, as it will make higher pressures more tolerable. I don't see any need for constant pressure. Event rates are improving, and I'd rather see you eliminate the possibility that tucking your chin is causing the apnea. When I first commented on your charts, I thought the OA clusters might actually be CA. I no longer suspect that is a problem, and the auto CPAP is probably the right way to go, but you may be moving to higher pressure if we can't find another way to manage the obstruction.

It's hard to see the individual breath waves here (need to get in closer), but there still appears to be some flow limitations which is a flat-topped inspiration wave. I asked about EPR because the exhale looks a bit abbreviated. Again, hard to see at this scale.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's not really a problem exhaling. And i think i feel air initially and then everything is sealing up?

I am trying the c collar tonight...

Thanks again
Post Reply Post Reply
Light Bulb !

Sleeprider - the C Collar!

It's only an hours worth because I literally woke up and thought I had a BoaConstrictor around my neck and ripped everything off!

But NOW this HAS to be what the main problem is! (I completely skipped night before last due to frustration.... )

Now what?

[Image: ZPzG7gMl.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
The event, zoomed in

[Image: WaisoxZl.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
Stick with it and find ways to make it more comfortable. I think we may have stumbled on your root problem. There is a bit of flow limitation there and mild hypopnea, but pretty impressive difference, but as you note, it's only one hour.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Meridith410,
I have been following this thread, but haven't jumped in, because you are already getting good advice.

I wanted to comment on the soft cervical collar. It took me awhile to realize that I also slept with my chin tucked into my chest. You really do have to measure the circumference of your neck, then add a couple inches to the collar you buy. Also measure the area from your chin to bottom of neck.

I didn't do any of the above, and ended up with a too tight colar and one that was too high and it felt like my chin and everything in my mouth was being realigned. Sad

If you decide to stick with trying the soft collar, Amazon has a variety of lengths and heights that make it a more comfy fit.

The collar should not be too tight, and be able to move a little with your movements. The idea is that it sits under your chin, and doesn't let it drop.

One other idea that I found works just as well. While shopping in the kids department, I found a neck collar for toddlers. I think they are used in baby's car seat to keep neck stable. They are a crescent shape, or half moon shape.

I purchased one of the kids pillow and use it instead of the collar. You just place it in front under your chin. It is small enough and stays in place, and nothing wraps around the back of neck.

It works for me, and was only $5.

Good luck, you are making progress.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Lots of alternatives are out there in cervcal or neck pillows and travel neck supports. Glad to see OpalRose getting in here. You may have to experiment with some alternatives to fine "the one" the works for you and gently supports your chin without pinching on your neck or interfering with the mask. The important thing is you have found a direction; now you just have to look for the best way to make it happen.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Opal Rose! I am so excited about this - strangely...

I'm going to walmart today to check out the baby section. I know exactly what you are talking about and that sounds like the ticket. I could even put a velcro closure on the back if need be.

I'm curious if this isn't the entire problem. Do you know if there is anyway to use the machine without any air at all just to see what happens?

Post Reply Post Reply
It funny how trying to solve a problem can excite us, especially if it turns out to be something not too complex.

Not sure what you mean by using the machine without any air, but I guess you could just try laying down with a collar or neck pillow and lay in different positions to see how it feels. The one I use is small and only wraps around the sides of my neck, not the back.

Some nights I toss and turn a lot due to "other" pain issues, but the small "kids" pillows seems to move with me. Sometimes I knock it out of place, but when I turn over, I usually hold the hose to move with me as it lays in front over the neck pillow.

It's hard to say if "chin tucking" is your entire problem, but is easy enough to solve with a little trial and error.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First night done, now what? (OSCAR data attached) Stephaniea0213 5 141 03-20-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 251 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  21 nights in, seeking advice smmille1 3 211 03-10-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: smmille1
  First two nights with results meettherobinsons 5 452 01-18-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: meettherobinsons
  First week - One "good" night and waking up with mask off most nights ghost10 9 682 12-15-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: ghost10
  [Treatment] My very first two nights! domod 6 582 11-30-2023, 10:06 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Sad One of my worst nights. adamwhereartthou 1 451 11-06-2023, 02:23 PM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.