Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AirFit N10 Nose irritation
AirFit N10 Nose irritation
I have just started using the ResMed AirFit N10 Nasal mask and am having trouble with soreness in the columella area between the nostril openings. It is very raw to the touch and the mask seems to pull upwards on the nose piece causing pressure one the entire lower part of the nose. No adjustment of the straps alleviates the pressure.

I have tried small bits of tape (or band-aid) to cover the area but it pulls the skin off when I attempt to remove the tape in the morning. I am planning to use paper tape that won't have as tough of adhesive tonight.

I've seen others use Lanolin in the area, and am wondering if it might damage the rubber of the inner soft part of the N10?

I love the lightness of the N10 and am happy other than wearing it for more than four hours is painful.

Any suggestions would be great.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AirFit N10 Nose irritation
Hi wildhorsesfilm,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
HPA Lanolin cream is good because it doesn’t have any petroleum in it.
The mask manufacturers recommend that you use creams without petroleum in them because it can break down the silicon in the masks.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi wildhorsesfilm,
Is it possible your nasal mask is too small and is rubbing on that part of your nose?
You don't say what size you are wearing, but try one size up.

Also, important that the straps are not too tight. If the nasal piece is pulling up, losses the strap a little.

Just know that there are many different masks out there. If you have a trial period, talk to your DME, and try a different size or mask.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I used the N10 for about 2 months until switching to the P10 nasal pillow and had similar issues. I was able to relieve the pressure on the bottom of my nose by ensuring the straps were loose enough - you should be able to fit two fingers between the straps and your face (helpful tip from my DME during the fitting). This allows room for the nasal cushion to inflate and rest gently on your face. Lanolin-based lotion is also effective at reducing irritation, but I did not care for the feel of it - too thick and heavy.

If you're still not happy with the N10, I STRONGLY recommend trying the P10 nasal pillow. It made a night and day difference in my therapy comfort level. You hardly even realize it's there with the minimalist head gear and light weight of the mask itself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-27-2016, 05:15 PM)OpalRose Wrote: Hi wildhorsesfilm,
Is it possible your nasal mask is too small and is rubbing on that part of your nose?
You don't say what size you are wearing, but try one size up.

Also, important that the straps are not too tight. If the nasal piece is pulling up, losses the strap a little.

Just know that there are many different masks out there. If you have a trial period, talk to your DME, and try a different size or mask.

OpalRose,
Thank you for the suggestions. This mask has Average and Wide. Not sure the wide would work 'cause my schnoz ain't that wide. But anything is worth a try...!
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-27-2016, 05:26 PM)Possum Wrote: I used the N10 for about 2 months until switching to the P10 nasal pillow and had similar issues. I was able to relieve the pressure on the bottom of my nose by ensuring the straps were loose enough - you should be able to fit two fingers between the straps and your face (helpful tip from my DME during the fitting). This allows room for the nasal cushion to inflate and rest gently on your face. Lanolin-based lotion is also effective at reducing irritation, but I did not care for the feel of it - too thick and heavy.

If you're still not happy with the N10, I STRONGLY recommend trying the P10 nasal pillow. It made a night and day difference in my therapy comfort level. You hardly even realize it's there with the minimalist head gear and light weight of the mask itself.
Possum,
Thank you for the fast response. I did nasal pillows in my test and hated it.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-27-2016, 04:47 PM)wildhorsesfilm Wrote: I have just started using the ResMed AirFit N10 Nasal mask and am having trouble with soreness in the columella area between the nostril openings. It is very raw to the touch and the mask seems to pull upwards on the nose piece causing pressure one the entire lower part of the nose. No adjustment of the straps alleviates the pressure.

I have tried small bits of tape (or band-aid) to cover the area but it pulls the skin off when I attempt to remove the tape in the morning. I am planning to use paper tape that won't have as tough of adhesive tonight.

I've seen others use Lanolin in the area, and am wondering if it might damage the rubber of the inner soft part of the N10?

I love the lightness of the N10 and am happy other than wearing it for more than four hours is painful.

I started my therapy with the same mask, I really tried hard to like it but just couldn't make the correct connection .
So I asked my DME what else I could try , She gave me a F&P Eson mask and that did the trick, I like it so well it's hard for me to even want to try some thing else.
Good Luck!
Keep trying it's all about comfort!
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-29-2016, 09:50 PM)Mr. Van Winkle Wrote:
(01-27-2016, 04:47 PM)wildhorsesfilm Wrote: I have just started using the ResMed AirFit N10 Nasal mask and am having trouble with soreness in the columella area between the nostril openings. It is very raw to the touch and the mask seems to pull upwards on the nose piece causing pressure one the entire lower part of the nose. No adjustment of the straps alleviates the pressure.

I started my therapy with the same mask, I really tried hard to like it but just couldn't make the correct connection .
So I asked my DME what else I could try , She gave me a F&P Eson mask and that did the trick, I like it so well it's hard for me to even want to try some thing else.
Good Luck!
Sleep-well

You helped me immensely! I tried a full face mask. That didn't work so I went back today and tried the Eson mask and that I think is gonna do the trick! Thanks for the suggestion.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-02-2016, 01:40 PM)wildhorsesfilm Wrote:
(01-29-2016, 09:50 PM)Mr. Van Winkle Wrote:

Good Luck!
Sleep-well

You helped me immensely! I tried a full face mask. That didn't work so I went back today and tried the Eson mask and that I think is gonna do the trick! Thanks for the suggestion.
Used the Eson mask last night and am very happy. Thank you for the recommendation!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Introducing the ResMed AirFit F40 MrIvanDrago 50 3,185 2 hours ago
Last Post: car54
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,574 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,812 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 196 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 152 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,977 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 172 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.