Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First night of trial
First night of trial
Hi all, this is my first post!

A week ago I did a home sleep study. Went in yesterday for results, which showed O2 level down to 85%, and AHI 6.5 (about 44 events). They sent me home with an autopap to use for a week. It came with a nasal mask. Next Monday I bring it back and they'll read the data off the card, presumably to prescribe (and/or program) another CPAP.

First thing I did after I set it up at home was download SleepyHead. :-)

So, last night. The nasal mask was pretty comfortable, but the sound of my own breathing kept me awake, plus I kept getting little leaks here and there. Air blowing into my eyes. So it took a long time to fall asleep (and I usually fall asleep in less than a minute), and I kept waking to readjust the mask.

This morning I popped the SD card into my computer and let SleepyHead do its thing. It showed AHI 3.0, with I think 18 events during the night. One of them was a 2+ minute episode of Cheyne-Stokes breathing. I'd never heard of that one; what I've read about it so far is alarming, but I hoping just one episode's not a big problem?

One thing I'm wondering is about oximetry. The autopap is great in it way but it's not measuring O2, so how will the doctors be able to tell whether the APAP is really helping?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: First night of trial
if you get your events below 5 an hour they are usually done. It's working
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Winterfrost,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
CPAP therapy can take some getting used to but it does get better over time.
Hang in there for more answers to your questions and much success to you as you start your CPAP journey.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-02-2016, 07:19 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi Winterfrost,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
CPAP therapy can take some getting used to but it does get better over time.
Hang in there for more answers to your questions and much success to you as you start your CPAP journey.

Thanks You all seem to be a great bunch of folks. Glad to have you with me on the journey!

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Winterfrost, like you I am new to all this having completed a sleep study only around 3 weeks ago. The trial was awful, nasal mask gave me nose bleeds, dry throat, sore eyes and waking every morning feeling worse than with no treatment!

I returned the machine to be replaced with a ResMed S9 manual machine (UK's NHS do this based on cost) and I begged for a face mask in addition to the nasal mask. They agreed and I walked out with both (in case the face mask was worse ... if that were possible!).

Night one and I tried the face mask - WOW! what a difference, now I either sleep through or wake just once a night, I'm about to check my SPo2 levels but I suspect that they will be fine, for the first time in years I am actually awake!

Can I suggest that you keep with it, try different masks, ask them to try different pressures (they base it on the average of 95% of the results ... it's not an exact science, talk to them and find out what works for you. Whatever you do don't give up! I never realised until these last couple of weeks what life could be like if only we wake up - I'd walk across hot coals if I had to to keep this feeling.

Good luck and I hope you find the solution that suits you.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-03-2016, 01:36 PM)y_not Wrote: Hi Winterfrost, like you I am new to all this having completed a sleep study only around 3 weeks ago. The trial was awful, nasal mask gave me nose bleeds, dry throat, sore eyes and waking every morning feeling worse than with no treatment!

I returned the machine to be replaced with a ResMed S9 manual machine (UK's NHS do this based on cost) and I begged for a face mask in addition to the nasal mask. They agreed and I walked out with both (in case the face mask was worse ... if that were possible!).

Night one and I tried the face mask - WOW! what a difference, now I either sleep through or wake just once a night, I'm about to check my SPo2 levels but I suspect that they will be fine, for the first time in years I am actually awake!

Can I suggest that you keep with it, try different masks, ask them to try different pressures (they base it on the average of 95% of the results ... it's not an exact science, talk to them and find out what works for you. Whatever you do don't give up! I never realised until these last couple of weeks what life could be like if only we wake up - I'd walk across hot coals if I had to to keep this feeling.

Good luck and I hope you find the solution that suits you.

Thank you y_not. I'm actually still in a trial period with this unit. Next Monday I'll be returning it to them, they'll check results and prescribe something. I don't know if I'll get a choice of CPAPs or masks.

The first night was a bit challenging, but last night was totally smooth. I fell right asleep and had no leakage that I'm aware of. SleepyHead data showed a little minor leaking around 5:30a. AHI last night was 2.7.

My only complaint was the puffy red marks on my face, which lasted for the first 3 hours of my workday (maybe longer). I'm going to try fitting the mask looser tonight and see if that helps.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  APAP Trial - First Night's Results - Interpretation? Juicy 9 4,177 03-04-2024, 09:34 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  CPAP trial - Improvements but exhausted still prairiesleeper 7 518 10-02-2023, 10:34 PM
Last Post: Lucky7
  CPAP DreamStation CPAP Pro con Auto-Trial AirSense 10 AutoSet cybor 0 578 09-09-2023, 11:08 AM
Last Post: cybor
  [CPAP] Machine trial with Kaiser KKoelle 5 692 08-08-2023, 11:52 AM
Last Post: KKoelle
  New to CPAP - on week 4 of 6 week trial - Any Sefam S.Box users out there? Kingsway 14 1,714 07-26-2023, 02:59 PM
Last Post: dbcpap
  First night with hose cover, night was full of major mask leaks TiredTom111 2 849 06-30-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: TiredTom111
  Hello folks, here is my graph from last night and night before Phil487 5 897 06-15-2023, 02:05 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.