Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Stay with Machine?
RE: Stay with Machine?
(11-10-2015, 11:08 PM)Charles1970 Wrote: I do hope to use sleepyhead later this week. Is it true that I can program the machine myself using it (as well as access its sleep data?)

No. SleepyHead only reads the data and shows it to you. It can't control the machine.

Please fill out your profile with more information. Exact make and model of the machine you are using for one thing.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Stay with Machine?
(11-10-2015, 11:08 PM)Charles1970 Wrote: Yes, central apneas did show up in my study. And since I'm still a bit fatigued during the day (not excessively) my doctor wants to check for narcolepsy next.

I do hope to use sleepyhead later this week. Is it true that I can program the machine myself using it (as well as access its sleep data?)

Sleepyhead displays your data in a whole lot of useful ways but it doesn't allow you to change machine settings. However that can easily be done manually - go here: http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual and request the clinician manual for your machine. Make sure you read and follow the instructions carefully as there are hundreds of machines listed.

Quote:Right now I see this in the data window:

Max pres 20,
epap min 4
epap max 15
ps min 3
ps max 15
bpm auto

Under 90% epap: 5.0
Avg ps - 4.5

Not sure what it means - thanks!
c

Epap is the pressure your machine applies when you're breathing out (expiratory positive airway pressure). This needs to be high enough to prevent hypopneas and obstructive apneas.

PS is pressure support - the additional pressure the machine applies when you're breathing in (IPAP = inhale PAP). This normally runs quite low, but if the machine detects a central apnea it will rapidly increase the PS (and hence the IPAP) to get you breathing again.

With a max EPAP of 15 and a max PS of 15, you could get a peak IPAP of 30 cm h2o, which is a bit of a blast. IPAP = EPAP + PS However there is also a max pressure setting (in your case 20) which prevents it going too high.

It seems your machine is only delivering a fairly low PS so I'm guessing that things are fairly under control, but still with a lot of room for improvement.

It would be really interesting to see the SleepyHead plots to work out what's really going on.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,410 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  Improvement after adjustments - still can't stay asleep DKane 0 74 04-12-2024, 09:55 AM
Last Post: DKane
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 10 358 04-02-2024, 01:41 PM
Last Post: DKane
  What can I do to stay on my front (positional apnea due to large tongue)? aplacelikethis 1 535 03-18-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [CPAP] Month on CPAP can't stay asleep Trep1018 1 182 03-08-2024, 06:10 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Equipment] ResMed heated humidifier tubing doesn't stay warm Dr.Bob 8 1,335 04-06-2023, 05:19 AM
Last Post: sauerkraut
  Need help: stinky air from CPAP after hospital stay SakimaStorm 4 594 01-26-2023, 07:49 PM
Last Post: SakimaStorm

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.