Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First night on CPAP
Just diagnosed, need advice
Hello everyone. New to the site.   I just had an overnight sleep study and was diagnosed with mild/moderate  SA.  I expext to hear from my Pulmonologist tomorrow or Tuesday...Any advice on things I should ask him?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Just diagnosed, need advice
Welcome to the forum.  
When you can post a redacted copy of your Sleep Study.  
I have to ask because you said your doctor was a Pulmonologist, do you have any breathing disorders other than Sleep Apnea?  

You want to get a full data capable machine.  The ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet is one of the best and unless your test and doctor indicate that you need a higher level machine it is the one you NEED to get.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have no other breathing disorders. My family doctor referred me to the Pulmonologist to get a sleep study.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know how this will help, but here's what I did the first time I met my sleep doctor:

1. I pretended not to know anything about sleep apnea. So I asked her. She explained this and the CPAP treatment in detail, like I was six years old.
2. I didn't tell her I already bought a CPAP machine. I got the result of my sleep study before I met her, then shopped and bought a Resmed Airsense 10.
3. I asked which is better, a manual CPAP or an auto-CPAP. She preferred for me the Auto-CPAP and she listed the potential suppliers.
4. Only then did I tell her I already had one. She approved of my choice which was a Resmed Airsense 10.
3. Then I surprised her (mildly, I think) with a summary of Sleepyhead for a week's worth of data on paper.
4. She pointed out that the initial results were good and that I should continue faithfully.
5. Then she said that I should lose weight and exercise, since there is a possibility of pressure increasing if my weight would also increase.
6. She advised that the CPAP treatment should not be an excuse to be complacent, given the newfound benefits it provides.
7. I asked when is my next appointment and she said in 6 months time.
8. I asked if there were any food or activities that would "contra-indicate" with the CPAP treatment. She said, don't smoke and or drink too much. Good diet and exercise.

I realized later I was being a dick. But she was a pro, with lots of capital letter initials after her name, so it was good.

Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
That's great.
You can start your education on Apnea by reading the articles linked in my signature.  Please ask any questions that you may have,
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleep studies may be diagnostic, or sometimes they include a titration study that determines the effective CPAP pressure. If you did not have the titration study your doctor may want to schedule you for one. An alternative is to ask that your doctor simply prescribe an auto CPAP and you can do the titration yourself. The recommended machine is the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset, because it is very responsive to obstructive apnea, hypopnea and flow limitations and will quickly acquire an effective pressure. It also provides full data that will allow you to optimize the pressure range. If you don't find the clinic environment comfortable, or if you have deductibles and copayments, self titration is a better, cheaper and effective alternative. Ask your doctor to prescribe the Autoset in lieu of an additional test.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Did you consider a home sleep study? I'm debating getting one vs. an overnight sleep study for the cost savings and convenience. I don't like the idea of sleeping in a random place for a couple of nights.
Post Reply Post Reply
For me, the insurance paid for it.  My step-dad did a home study about 6 months ago.  He was diagnosed with sleep apnea from it.  The one advantage of doing the sleep center study is that the check for other sleep disorders (I cant remember which).  That being said, it was uncomfortable. 

I received my sleep study yesterday.  I will try to post it soon.
Post Reply Post Reply
First night on CPAP
I picked up my Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset and Resmed F20 mask this afternoon. Pressure is set at 8.0-16.0. Humidity is at level 2. I have more hypopneas than apneas so it was reccomended that I turn EPR on fulltime at level 2.

Any advice before I drift off to sleep?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: First night on CPAP
Download Sleepyhead so you can post your data. We will probably recommend increase to EPR 3. Sleep well.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Cool [Diagnosis] Hello! Hola! New to CPAP, first night of SD card (Help Appreciated!) punkrockcholo 29 2,129 03-06-2024, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Doubts about my diagnosis? (Test results + First night with CPAP) IAXEM 14 878 02-26-2024, 03:46 PM
Last Post: IAXEM
  New CPAP user - Longest night I've been able to keep it on bopbop 4 400 01-31-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: bopbop
  new CPAP user night 12 .......runny nose Barbara Williams 0 349 11-11-2023, 04:14 PM
Last Post: Barbara Williams
  [CPAP] Preparing for first night with CPAP (help required) applebee 2 431 10-28-2023, 11:20 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Night Guard use with CPAP brettski99 3 633 10-14-2023, 09:52 AM
Last Post: jstro84
  [Treatment] Low AHI/RDI with CPAP but still jolting awake every night boogiemoogie 0 487 08-09-2023, 05:39 AM
Last Post: boogiemoogie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.