Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First night on CPAP
First night on CPAP
Well picked up my machine and mask this afternoon. Going to be an interesting night I guess. Have been diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea. Feel a little apprehensive going into this evening. Didn't like any of the alternatives the doctor said were possible other than CPAP machine. So I have committed myself to make this work.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: First night on CPAP
Well, at least you have a low pressure. If you have trouble with the mask let us know. That's often the first hurdle, but it may be that you encounter no hurdles. My son started CPAP therapy a few weeks ago and has experienced no problems.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Paulie,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It's great you have a positive attitude.
I look forward to hearing how you do with your CPAP therapy.
Best of luck.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Made it through the first night - 8 hrs. Only problem is that I had the top of the mask too tight and now my nose bridge is kind of sore. Brought the data in ResScan and had an AHI of 2.8, under 5 so I think that is good. Will have to start reading up and learning about what is all shown. Kind of felt better this morning in that I wasn't as groggy as I am usually.
Post Reply Post Reply
Great news Paulie! Make the mask fit comfortably and you'll be good to go!

Within a week, you'll feel a lot more refreshed and energetic! Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
One of the oddest things about the mask is that looser is better. You would think that tightening the mask would be better but it's not. It takes a while to get that adjustment so that it is loose enough not to be uncomfortable but not too loose that it leaks.

If the bridge of your nose is sore tonight, try putting a bandage on it. That little bit of material might help cushion the mask enough to not make it worse.
Post Reply Post Reply
This thread on how to get a good mask fit might be of some help:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...GUARANTEED

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I have managed in two nights to create a small sore on my nose bridge. Last night it was so irritated the mask only stayed on for a couple of hours. Tonight I am going to put a blister pad on as suggested. I went through the post on getting a good mask fit. Will try some of its recommendations also. I thought my mask was on pretty lose but maybe not. This is only my first mask so I would have been really luckly to get the perfect match right out of the gate. Made an appointment with the DME to evaluate another mask to see if I get a better fit. Patience is definitely called for.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-10-2013, 09:29 PM)Paulie Wrote: I thought my mask was on pretty lose but maybe not. This is only my first mask so I would have been really luckly to get the perfect match right out of the gate. Made an appointment with the DME to evaluate another mask to see if I get a better fit. Patience is definitely called for.

Right attitude and right action. Patience is necessary to find a mask that works for you. Hopefully your DME will be helpful.
Post Reply Post Reply
Trying the ResMed Swift FW Nasal Pillow now. Going to stay away for now from the nasal mask. So we will see how tonight goes. The pillows felt pretty good in the DME office, of course the Comfort mask did also.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Cool [Diagnosis] Hello! Hola! New to CPAP, first night of SD card (Help Appreciated!) punkrockcholo 29 2,132 03-06-2024, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Doubts about my diagnosis? (Test results + First night with CPAP) IAXEM 14 882 02-26-2024, 03:46 PM
Last Post: IAXEM
  New CPAP user - Longest night I've been able to keep it on bopbop 4 400 01-31-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: bopbop
  new CPAP user night 12 .......runny nose Barbara Williams 0 350 11-11-2023, 04:14 PM
Last Post: Barbara Williams
  [CPAP] Preparing for first night with CPAP (help required) applebee 2 432 10-28-2023, 11:20 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Night Guard use with CPAP brettski99 3 634 10-14-2023, 09:52 AM
Last Post: jstro84
  [Treatment] Low AHI/RDI with CPAP but still jolting awake every night boogiemoogie 0 487 08-09-2023, 05:39 AM
Last Post: boogiemoogie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.