Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First night on autopap (central apneas)
First night on autopap (central apneas)
Last night was my first night. I'm using airsense 10 autoset. I got the data from entering clinical mode on the machine (see below).

I had no problem falling asleep or anything.  So I'm wondering where these centrals came from. I had a pretty high RDI on my sleep studies (esp in rem and on my back) but AHI was always around 8 or so. I only had 1 central during sleep study (only slept 3 hours). I know the data is limited but what do you guys think? Is 6.5 centrals normal first night? I had approx. two glasses of wine last night btw (if that means anything). Thx.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: First night on autopap (central apneas)
Your AHI is high, and your indicated Centrals are as well.  We want to see under 5 for your AHI.
The question is how to adjust.  For that it will really help if you get SleepyHead software (free), organize your charts, take a screenshot, and then post.
See my signature for the how to.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
It is normal to see some centrals when starting on CPAP. This is probably due to your body picking up oxygen a little more easily with the CPAP. Centrals should abate in a week or so. If this is not the case then you should talk to your doc.

Looks to me like you had a good first night.

You might want to download Sleepyhead software so you can keep track of your treatment. you might also want to get the clinicians manual from the Set-up manual link at the top of the page. The manual tells you how to get to all the features on your machine and gives you an idea what they do.

Welcome to the forum. You have found a good place.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi JohnnyGobbs.  Welcome to the Apnea Board.  Yes your data is very limited but it is still highly likely that your Centrals are related to your treatment.  These sometimes go away on their own but there are several tweaks to your settings that could just about eliminate them as well.  You have a very good data capable machine.  Your best bet is to install the Sleepyhead software and post some data snapshots. You may also want to download the Clinicians manual to get a better idea as to how you make the minor changes that might be necessary.  You are on your way to gaining control of your therapy and this Board is here to help.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
Thx Payton, Rich and everyone for the responses! This board is great. I will get access to more data (I had to go into clinical mode in the machine just to get that much).

Hoping the centrals go down as that's somewhat alarming and unexpected.
That's 6.5 centrals an hour right? (So 50 centrals total basically last night).

Would alcohol at dinner time effect results (even with apap treatment)?
I know it can't help but maybe 3 nights a week I'll have two glasses of wine and just wondering if typically that effects people with apap or if apap just ups the pressure those nights and the end AHI result is the same as a no alcohol night.
Post Reply Post Reply
Post your minimum and maximum pressure and EPR setting. It might help with making a judgement. Also #Sleepyhead can't be beat for seeing what is going on. I don't know that one night is a basis for making changes, but it sure doesn't look like these settings are doing you any favors either.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi JohnnyGobbs,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more answers to your questions.
Good luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-09-2017, 04:03 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Post your minimum and maximum pressure and EPR setting.  It might help with making a judgement.  Also [url=http://OSCAR Official Download Page ----> CLICK HERE ./]SleepyHead[/url] can't be beat for seeing what is going on.  I don't know that one night is a basis for making changes, but it sure doesn't look like these settings are doing you any favors either.

Min 5.0
Max 18.0

EPR level 2
EPR type Full time
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for replying back with your settings of 18/5 and 2 EPR. Hopefully you will have a more comfortable night. Be sure to download #Sleepyhead software so we know how these events correlate to pressure.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Are these good starting settings?

Could these settings be contributing to the centrals?

Off topic: this forum really isn't playing well with my iPhone. It's not configuring the forum to the size of my phone well and it's quite glitchy. Any suggestions to make it smoother? Thx.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,512 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,395 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 23 536 03-24-2024, 06:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 846 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 211 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 263 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  [Treatment] Having several Unclassified Apneas.... meatheadmd 7 300 03-19-2024, 07:54 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.