Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First night on autopap (central apneas)
RE: First night on autopap (central apneas)
It's not really optimized for mobile devices.  I use a laptop when I can. My iPhone 7plus has a larger screen than most, and I can read the forums, but it's far from my first choice.  Similarly, you can't use Sleepyhead on a mobile device, so most of us old guys still have a computer stashed away.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay here's the 2nd night data (no alcohol but I took a low dose of Xanax in the evening)...

Used 8.5 Hours
pressure 7.9
leak 19L/min
AHI 1.7
Total AI 1.5
Central AI 1.0

So the central index went down from 6.5 (first night) to 1.0 the 2nd night.

So was this a flawless night? I feel pretty decent by the way but not life changing (though I have a bit of a cold this week).
Post Reply Post Reply
Jonnie, the reduction in centrals is typical for becoming adapted to the therapy. I'd say an obstructive AI of only 0.5 is extremely well treated. It will take a while to fully feel the benefits of the using CPAP. Give yourself a couple weeks to catch up. The goal here is to feel "normal" which is not sleepy, fatigued or some of the other abnormal symptoms of sleep apnea. Whether you feel a "life-changing" effect is relative to how badly affected you were before starting this. The new normal may not be that exciting, but it should be better.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay here's the 2nd night data (no alcohol but I took a low dose of Xanax in the evening)...

Used 8.5 Hours
pressure 7.9
leak 19L/min
AHI 1.7
Total AI 1.5
Central 1.0

So the centrals went down from 6.5 (first night) to 1.0 the 2nd night.

So was this a flawless night? I feel pretty decent by the way but not life changing.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would not say flawless but mighty good. Your leak rate is a little on the high side but still within reasonable limits. If it were me, I would do some more work on your leaks but every thing else looks very good. Good job.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-09-2017, 04:03 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Post your minimum and maximum pressure and EPR setting.  It might help with making a judgement.  Also [url=http://OSCAR Official Download Page ----> CLICK HERE ./]SleepyHead[/url] can't be beat for seeing what is going on.  I don't know that one night is a basis for making changes, but it sure doesn't look like these settings are doing you any favors either.

Min 5.0
Max 18.0

EPR level 2
EPR type Full time
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-09-2017, 11:56 AM)JohnnyGobbs Wrote: Last night was my first night. I'm using airsense 10 autoset. I got the data from entering clinical mode on the machine (see below).

I had no problem falling asleep or anything.  So I'm wondering where these centrals came from. I had a pretty high RDI on my sleep studies (esp in rem and on my back) but AHI was always around 8 or so. I only had 1 central during sleep study (only slept 3 hours). I know the data is limited but what do you guys think? Is 6.5 centrals normal first night? I had approx. two glasses of wine last night btw (if that means anything). Thx.

On the alcohol part, I guess it depends on the individual. For me, if I take 2 big glasses of wine, my AHI reading will go up. It's because the throat muscles are more relaxed.

Without APAP, I would probably wake up with a headache the next morning, so the machine has a few good uses and excuses Smile .
lots-o-coffee
The doctor says coffee does not affect my tinnitus and it's got lots of antioxidants....however, the after dinner drinks are a different matter altogether. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-10-2017, 09:26 AM)JohnnyGobbs Wrote: Okay here's the 2nd night data (no alcohol but I took a low dose of Xanax in the evening)...

Used 8.5 Hours
pressure 7.9
leak 19L/min
AHI 1.7
Total AI 1.5
Central AI 1.0

So was this a flawless night? I feel pretty decent by the way but not life changing (though I have a bit of a cold this week).

(02-15-2017, 02:18 AM)JohnnyGobbs Wrote:
(02-09-2017, 04:03 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Post your minimum and maximum pressure and EPR setting.  It might help with making a judgement.  Also [url=http://OSCAR Official Download Page ----> CLICK HERE ./]SleepyHead[/url] can't be beat for seeing what is going on.  I don't know that one night is a basis for making changes, but it sure doesn't look like these settings are doing you any favors either.

Min 5.0
Max 18.0

EPR level 2
EPR type Full time

Just trying to put together some of this information.  You are currently using Auto CPAP with minimum 5.0 and maximum 18.0 with an average pressure of 7.9, and EPR setting 2, resulting in OAI of 0.5 and CAI of 1.0. 

Does that sum it up accurately?  Results are good, and no changes needed.  I would increase minimum pressure to 6 or 7 based on those results, simply to reduce pressure changes.  With a minimum pressure of 5, your actual inhale/exhale pressure is 5/4. This moves to 6/4, 7/5, 8/6 etc.  Just as a matter of course, I usually recommend setting the minimum pressure closer to average on a Resmed machine, and avoid minimums that cannot keep exhale pressure above the machine's minimum pressure output of 4.0 cm.  Otherwise, as said earlier, things look pretty good.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-15-2017, 09:42 AM)Sleeprider Wrote:
(02-10-2017, 09:26 AM)JohnnyGobbs Wrote: Okay here's the 2nd night data (no alcohol but I took a low dose of Xanax in the evening)...

Used 8.5 Hours
pressure 7.9
leak 19L/min
AHI 1.7
Total AI 1.5
Central AI 1.0

(02-15-2017, 02:18 AM)JohnnyGobbs Wrote:

Min 5.0
Max 18.0

EPR level 2
EPR type Full time

Just trying to put together some of this information.  You are currently using Auto CPAP with minimum 5.0 and maximum 18.0 with an average pressure of 7.9, and EPR setting 2, resulting in OAI of 0.5 and CAI of 1.0. 

Does that sum it up accurately?  Results are good, and no changes needed.  I would increase minimum pressure to 6 or 7 based on those results, simply to reduce pressure changes.  With a minimum pressure of 5, your actual inhale/exhale pressure is 5/4. This moves to 6/4, 7/5, 8/6 etc.  Just as a matter of course, I usually recommend setting the minimum pressure closer to average on a Resmed machine, and avoid minimums that cannot keep exhale pressure above the machine's minimum pressure output of 4.0 cm.  Otherwise, as said earlier, things look pretty good.

Yes, correct on all the settings info.

My 1 week avg since I started one week ago is:

Pressure 7.9
Leak 12L/min
AHI 3.0
Total AI 2.6
Central AI 2.0

I've definitely woken up several nights with either the mask leaking, or water or me drooling. I'm not exactly sure what was happening, maybe it was just air leaking making my face feel wet and waking me up. AHI has been ranging in the 1's to 4's and a couple centrals some nights.

I will consider adjusting the pressure min up. What is the cons of the pressure changes? Could they be causing events? Thx.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your minimum pressure is quite low, and starting a bit higher just prevents the inevitable pressure changes later. It also stabilizes the EPR at 2, so the pressure difference between inhale and exhale remains constant. The fact your median or average pressure is nearly 8, means you are starting off at 3 cm below the median effective pressure, and even further below your therapy pressure, which is about the 90% reported pressure.

There are no cons to higher pressure, and it will probably reduce the maximum pressure the machine reaches. Pressure fluctuations are a common cause for CA events as they are disruptive. My pressure only varies by 3 cm all night most of the time. Even though your auto machine is capable of increasing pressure rapidly to address obstruction, do you really think that is restful? When the machine increases pressure, it also will drop back towards the minimum until respiratory changes increase the pressure. As a result, you are constantly at a low threshold for stabilizing the airway...it works, but by setting the pressure where it should be, you can be more comfortable and get better treatment and rest.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 12 2,666 04-13-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Cannabis treating central apneas? ashwa 17 2,566 04-12-2024, 01:39 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Treatment] Most events are Central Apnea / Clear Airway joeblough 7 200 04-08-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: joeblough
  Any Central Sleep Apnea receiving treatment other than CPAP, ASV? ivan007 0 116 04-07-2024, 06:19 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 34 1,057 04-03-2024, 10:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 19 625 04-02-2024, 10:30 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question [CPAP] Clear Airway/Central AI? mattymast 3 178 03-30-2024, 09:43 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.