Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First night: some good, some bad. Need help.
RE: First night: some good, some bad. Need help.
(03-26-2017, 05:06 AM)Ockrocket Wrote:
(03-25-2017, 08:30 PM)Snorilla Wrote: Hi Ock.

Chromebook runs on a completely different operating system, so no go. I don't like downloading software anyway, and don't like that some virus protectors tag it as malware. Maybe it is fine, but I wish it was offered online. The developer could make more money that way if he ran ads on his page as well as just suggested donations. 

Anyway, I do try to sleep on my side, but eventually my shoulders hurt and I have to move to my back. Since you are online, let me ask, how often do you clean your water container for the humidifier? My manual says every dang day. It also says to remove tubes and hang them up to dry. Why not just blow air through them and keep them attached?

I still don't get the "offered online" part, if you can access this forum aren't you already "online" ?  

I have shoulder issues too, but also have a back issue, so I toss and turn from side to side all night long.... I feel your pain, so to speak.  Smile

Cleaning of my mask is maybe once every two to four weeks, the hose maybe every couple of months, and the humidifier tank whenever it starts to look discoloured by calcification or the water is looking cloudy. 
The cleaning of the tank would be dictated by your available water quality, and any possible respiratory health issues you may have. 

Cleaning the mask and hose would be similarly dictated, though mask cleaning would probably be the most often due to skin oils building up and causing it to not seal properly against your face. 

Everyone has a different opinion on cleaning regimes and methods, so it is really more a case of finding what works for you personally in that respect.

Some programs can be used online through your browser at a specific website without having to download the software to your computer. If you want to type a document, you can use Microsoft word if you have it installed on your computer or you can type up a document by using online software like google docs. You don't download any software for google docs, you just go to an online site and type away. 

I thought cleaning the water tank every day was a bit much, although I wouldn't wait until the water looks discolored. We have to be careful of what spores we are inhaling into our lungs. Wouldn't want to catch anything like Legionnaires's disease. My tank says to use distilled water, so I am just sticking with that. Thanks for your reply!
Post Reply Post Reply
Snorilla, it's going to be tough for anyone to offer you more meaningful support without seeing the data from Sleepyhead softwear somehow, as Bonjour already mentioned. I would advice you to find some way of being able to do that in order to get some more substantial advice on what to change in your settings.

Congrats on starting therapy and all the best for your progress!
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-26-2017, 08:14 AM)ajack Wrote: I think you are going to need the sleepyhead program to get decent advice, other than what seems to be a common suggestion, set the auto pressure 2cm under mean pressure and 2cm above 95% pressure.

I would google for the resmed s9 clinician manual, which will help you check and adjust your settings

As to running the program, there are many ways I can think of, ranging from as old PC on the verge on rubbish collection days to using a computer at a library. craigslist etc.

My machine is supposed to work with ResScan so I went to Resmed's site and it says:

This content is restricted for the use of healthcare professionals and our commercial partners. 

Well that is extremely frustrating. Why a "commercial partner" can have access but the person who has the most concern over their health can't seems very unethical. I guess I will figure out a work around for SH. 

So sat night, I didn't use it, but last night I did and I can say that from my 2nd time only, I am completely used to the breathing part, however, the air did give me earaches after a few hours. I had the temp set to 84, but I guess I need to go higher. My mouth was also extremely dry despite having the humidifier set to highest level. Manufacturer said to use nose plugs as that would help, but it didn't. The nose plugs did work great though. Just thought I would throw that in as many previous posters said they were useless. 

However, after 3 hours of not being able to fall asleep due to being annoyed by the tubing while sleeping on my side (it pulled a bit on mouthpiece) and having to stop to take a sip of water, I finally fell asleep for I think an hour and a half. Woke up when tube pulled mouth piece and caused a leak and by now my mouth was sore from how dry it was. 

So, after lying there unable to fall back asleep I gave up. Total usage was 5.5 hrs, but my AHI was 0.7.

I had ESR to 3 and pressure set to 6.2 to 7.8 and the reading the next day said Pressure: 7.4.

Well tonight I am going to keep at same pressure settings, but use coconut oil for the mouth piece and raise the temp. Hopefully that will help and hopefully I can fall asleep. I know it takes a while to get used to, but for the two nights I have used it, it has taken me 3 - 5 hours to fall asleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
[quote pid='197919' dateline='1490639789']
I thought cleaning the water tank every day was a bit much, although I wouldn't wait until the water looks discolored. We have to be careful of what spores we are inhaling into our lungs. Wouldn't want to catch anything like Legionnaires's disease. My tank says to use distilled water, so I am just sticking with that. Thanks for your reply!
[/quote]

Although, based on my background as a microbiologist, I have said there is little risk of infection from CPAP equipment, I agree with the above statement. I would never consider waiting until my reservoir had visible sediment, the water was hazy, or the tubing or reservoir slimy and hazy, before cleaning. Although infection with Legionella pneumophila is unlikely, it's not as far fetched as it may seem. The organism is widely distributed in fresh water including drinking water, and will grow in stagnant water, especially if sediment is present.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Snorilla,
That clicking noise you are hearing on your S9AutoSet is the stat for the heater in your humidifier, I think, hopefully, someone will comment about this. Any way, some of them click louder than others, I think it’s more of an annoyance, rather than a problem with the machine.
I know you have had a rough couple of nights, but just keep trying, you’ll get there.
I’m curious, What mask are you using?
Good luck to you and hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-27-2017, 02:17 PM)Snorilla Wrote:
(03-26-2017, 08:14 AM)ajack Wrote: I think you are going to need the sleepyhead program to get decent advice, other than what seems to be a common suggestion, set the auto pressure 2cm under mean pressure and 2cm above 95% pressure.

I would google for the resmed s9 clinician manual, which will help you check and adjust your settings

As to running the program, there are many ways I can think of, ranging from as old PC on the verge on rubbish collection days to using a computer at a library. craigslist etc.

My machine is supposed to work with ResScan so I went to Resmed's site and it says:

This content is restricted for the use of healthcare professionals and our commercial partners. 

Well that is extremely frustrating. Why a "commercial partner" can have access but the person who has the most concern over their health can't seems very unethical. I guess I will figure out a work around for SH. 

So sat night, I didn't use it, but last night I did and I can say that from my 2nd time only, I am completely used to the breathing part, however, the air did give me earaches after a few hours. I had the temp set to 84, but I guess I need to go higher. My mouth was also extremely dry despite having the humidifier set to highest level. Manufacturer said to use nose plugs as that would help, but it didn't. The nose plugs did work great though. Just thought I would throw that in as many previous posters said they were useless. 

However, after 3 hours of not being able to fall asleep due to being annoyed by the tubing while sleeping on my side (it pulled a bit on mouthpiece) and having to stop to take a sip of water, I finally fell asleep for I think an hour and a half. Woke up when tube pulled mouth piece and caused a leak and by now my mouth was sore from how dry it was. 

So, after lying there unable to fall back asleep I gave up. Total usage was 5.5 hrs, but my AHI was 0.7.

I had ESR to 3 and pressure set to 6.2 to 7.8 and the reading the next day said Pressure: 7.4.

Well tonight I am going to keep at same pressure settings, but use coconut oil for the mouth piece and raise the temp. Hopefully that will help and hopefully I can fall asleep. I know it takes a while to get used to, but for the two nights I have used it, it has taken me 3 - 5 hours to fall asleep.

You have the same machine as I do, You can download the resscan program from a page here, pay attention to the request.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...d=99#pid99
The resmed program isn't as good as sleepyhead IMO.

I hear your frustration, as you are getting use to cpap, the pressure of 6.2 to 7.8 is fine, given your AHI <1, you may not need to change it. I'm currently at 13/18. I put the cpap on while I watched TV, I found it's a matter of becoming acclimatised to it. Give it a month. The more I wore it, the easier it was.

as to the tube, there are a few ways, I use a pool noodle. search the site for the different ways, including buying a stand.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-27-2017, 02:49 PM)Melman Wrote: [quote pid='197919' dateline='1490639789']

Although, based on my background as a microbiologist, I have said there is little risk of infection from CPAP equipment, I agree with the above statement. I would never consider waiting until my reservoir had visible sediment, the water was hazy, or the tubing or reservoir slimy and hazy, before cleaning. Although infection with Legionella pneumophila is unlikely, it's not as far fetched as it may seem. The organism is widely distributed in fresh water including drinking water, and will grow in stagnant water, especially if sediment is present.
[/quote]

Thanks for the info. I am not a microbiologist, so it's good to know there are some things you learn from your non-microbiologist mom that just make sense.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-27-2017, 04:56 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi Snorilla,
That clicking noise you are hearing on your S9AutoSet is the stat for the heater in your humidifier, I think, hopefully, someone will comment about this.  Any way, some of them click louder than others, I think it’s more of an annoyance, rather  than a problem with the machine.
I know you have had a rough couple of nights, but just keep trying, you’ll get there.
I’m curious, What mask are you using?
Good luck to you and hang in there for more responses to your post.

I figured that when it was warming up, but thought it was doing it when it was in cool down mode and had been for hours. I will have to check again. 

I have an oral mask made by Fisher and Paykel called the HC452. I don't know if I can link to it, but it is easy to find online. The nose pillows look ok, but I can't train myself to not breathe through my mouth and I don't want to wear that chin strap thing. I break out very easily and the less things touching my face the better. The oral mask really is fine except for the drying out part. 

I also don't like that I had earaches last night. They have subsided now, but is that something common?
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-27-2017, 04:57 PM)ajack Wrote:
(03-27-2017, 02:17 PM)Snorilla Wrote:

You have the same machine as I do, You can download the resscan program from a page here, pay attention to the request.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...d=99#pid99
The resmed program isn't as good as sleepyhead IMO.

I hear your frustration, as you are getting use to cpap, the pressure of 6.2 to 7.8 is fine, given your AHI <1, you may not need to change it. I'm currently at 13/18. I put the cpap on while I watched TV, I found it's a matter of becoming acclimatised to it. Give it a month. The more I wore it, the easier it was.

as to the tube, there are a few ways, I use a pool noodle. search the site for the different ways, including buying a stand.

Thanks for the link. Now I must research this pool noodle idea!
Post Reply Post Reply
this may help interpretating the results
http://www.apneaboard.com/ResScan_Interp...-Guide.pdf

this is one of the hose threads
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...rap-around
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Idea [CPAP] New to CPAP, Good So Far! TWINDAWN 2 73 03-27-2024, 04:30 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Need help to find a good Luna G3 pressure. johnathanb76 13 205 03-22-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Good AHI but Low Tidal Volume and Minute Ventilation erolalper 1 149 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 183 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
  [CPAP] Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE TiredDude 4 808 02-15-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: TiredDude
  Poor quality sleep on ASV with good AHI sleepydawg99 8 625 12-19-2023, 12:23 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  First week - One "good" night and waking up with mask off most nights ghost10 9 683 12-15-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: ghost10

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.