Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First night treatment
First night treatment
Wanted to say a huge thanks to all of you who have taken time to give me advise.

I picked up my machine from the DME yesterday. I was ready to fight to get my machine of choice but was presently surprised when they came out to me with a ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset. They gave me an option of whatever mask I wanted so though I was previously leaning towards a ResMed F20 due to chronic sinus congestion I decided to give nasal pillows a try based on feedback I got here and went home with a ResMed P10.

I can say that I did not sleep very well last night and recall several sudden awakenings and had to take the mask off after a few hours. That said I managed to keep the mask on for 4.5 hours of sleep and see my AHI has gone from 17 to 4. Even with the fragmented sleep I definitely feel more alert and awake today albeit a bit more run down than usual.

This morning I had some throat horseness and dryness so tonight I will be increasing the humidity from 4 to 5 to see if that helps. I also have ordered a fleece hose cover as I woke up several times feeling like the air was too cold and the hose was freezing. I only have a standard hose and the DME has said if I need a heated one they can supply it and it will be covered by insurance.

Leak rate was around 18L/min. Waiting on SD cards right now to get sleepyhead up and running but therapy seems to be going well. I hope the rest of the acclimation is this easy and I can fine tune things to keep from waking up during the night but so far I feel like things are off to a great start.

Has anyone had any experience with the inline aromatherapy devices I saw pop up on Amazon? They look interesting and I was thinking they may help.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: First night treatment
Call the DME ASAP to get your heated hose. It was supposed to come with the A10A, AFAIK.

Padding the hose has many other benefits besides keeping the air warm. It keeps the hose from rattling against the head of the bed or wall. It keeps it from sliding around on the bedcovers. It feels better against your skin than wire coils do. You can get all kinds of fun designs.

I wish I'd gotten a zippered hose cover. The non-zippered are a hassle.
Post Reply Post Reply
HalfAsleep Wrote:Call the DME ASAP to get your heated hose. It was supposed to come with the A10A, AFAIK.

Padding the hose has many other benefits besides keeping the air warm. It keeps the hose from rattling against the head of the bed or wall. It keeps it from sliding around on the bedcovers. It feels better against your skin than wire coils do. You can get all kinds of fun designs.

I wish I'd gotten a zippered hose cover. The non-zippered are a hassle.

I checked several online dealers as well as the ResMed site and all of them seem to indicate the non heated hose is standard, the ClimateLine hose is considered an optional upgrade (though most insurance will cover it). Same thing with SD cards, they used to be included but not anymore due to the cell modem.

Thankfully I ordered a zippered hose cover! Since I have a gooseneck lamp next to the bed I am using that for hose management to keep most of it off the bed or floor.
Post Reply Post Reply
My DME (Apria) told me the non-heated hose was standard. They only supplied the heated hose to me because my doctor included it in my prescription. I did have to pay extra for it.
Post Reply Post Reply
The above is true about the hose though some dealers do throw in a heated hose in the deal.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
My insurance covered 80% so it wasn't a huge deal.
Post Reply Post Reply
Whats the point of giving you a humidifier without a heated hose? I guess Texas is pretty warm and there will not be much heat lost through an unheated hose but Washington gets down to some ridiculous minus zeros in winter so wouldn't a heated hose be required as standard with a humidifier?

When the temperatures went below zero here some weeks past, for the first time I had rain-out and this caused my P10 vents to block up with moisture. Had to wake up to dial down humidity.
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you're referring to my location, it's Washington State, not Washington, D.C. And I'm in western Washington, so it's a very temperate climate. Occasionally into the teens, but usually lows in the 40s during the winter.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you're going to get the heated hose, you may want to do it before the end of the year if you've already met your deductible.

The aromatherapy device looks interesting. I've also seen people recommend placing essential oil on a cotton ball near the intake filter.
Post Reply Post Reply
The high average leak rate combined with dry throat suggests you might be exhaling through your mouth. This is a common side-effect of nasal masks and nasal pillows which is obviated by using a full face mask. Alternatively you need to learn to seal off your mouth using the tongue-suck method, chin straps, cervical collars or (heaven forfend) taping your lips. If you have a bed partner, ask them if there is a sound of air escaping from your mouth while you have the machine on. Once you get #SleepyHead running, you can also identify mouth leaks by the distinctive wave form.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New user struggling with treatment bsroberts 22 800 1 minute ago
Last Post: Expat31
Question Please help interpret data to improve treatment length during the night GalaxyPast 3 183 04-14-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: GalaxyPast
  Any Central Sleep Apnea receiving treatment other than CPAP, ASV? ivan007 0 160 04-07-2024, 06:19 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  Which machine to get for initial self treatment - Auto CPAP vs. BIPAP ST MVoltaire 8 250 04-04-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 19 686 04-02-2024, 10:30 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Treatment] TiredFGO - Treatment Thread TiredFGO 1 140 03-30-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Gross [Treatment] Successful Treatment... Still Significant Struggle TiredTim 0 164 03-27-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: TiredTim

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.