Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First night very high numbers
First night very high numbers
Hello Apnea Board. I'm new here, just recently diagnosed. Love the board and appreciate all the info / help.
I'm 33 year old male, physically fit.

Last night was my first night on the machine and i feel horrible today, don't feel i slept well. I understand it will take some time to get used to and I'm okay with that. What I'm really concerned about is the high numbers of AHI I'm seeing in SleepyHead for my first night. My sleep study a few weeks ago put my AHI at 12. Lastnights AHI shows as 20.55. Seeing this AHI data and the other events is really scaring me thinking something else is wrong. 
I know this is only 1 day but I'm really concerned with the results.

I'm going to post several screenshots of last nights SleepyHead data. I'm just looking for some general guidance on how these numbers look? Is it possible my AHI is so high due to leaks? Any help / input would be greatly appreciated. 

**Updated** 1/24/17
Added images to sleepyhead data for first night

[Image: 94e564cb-8516-4109-a8bb-8f658f4e90d0_bc0...-54-32.png]

Note: Ignore the first afternoon session, it was just testing.
[Image: 579dd565-87b8-45c5-83cc-040d35a59651_bc0...-14-33.png]

[Image: 074cdbbf-4d95-4218-a3a0-9547b6730437_bc0...-24-35.png]

[Image: 6d61860d-aa6d-49f2-9b48-b18b136cbc2a_bc0...-23-02.png]

[Image: 7dd84664-6ef0-4036-9dd9-b65576c0bda5_bc0...-11-45.png]

**Updated** 1/25/17

Added images of sleepyhead data for second night

Made some adjustments the second night and the difference of results seems significant.
Adjustments made:
1. Turned Flex ON to A-Flex and set to 3 
The first night I had this setting turned OFF as I initially thought it was uncomfortable. After doing some further testing with it ON versus OFF I realized that without this setting turned ON, the air seems to blow all out of the mask much more (leaks) and doesn't seem to have a vacuum like fit / seal unless its turned ON. I could also feel my airway opening wider each inhale on with this setting turned ON. I think this was the setting that made the significant difference for me.
2. Raised minimum pressure to 7, max to 11.5

Second nights results:

[Image: 37fa1085-bcf8-4d78-9e7a-d5453552edf7_bc0...-36-26.png]

[Image: 5c20d418-ed79-40a6-9d6c-60ea3288a453_bc0...-55-22.png]

[Image: 08e02ec4-6b07-4bdf-be17-b0364c560c9e_bc0...-06-29.png]

I'm not sure why I have so many sessions listed for this night, I only turned it off once or twice. Sleepyhead has this night separated in sessions of 1 hour?

[Image: 7752bc5a-1fc0-4c91-a9f1-935b201e73fb_bc0...-51-42.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: First night very high numbers
Welcome.  You need four posts before you can use link.  We can figure out links with spaces in them.

First, don't worry.  Take a deep breath.  Relax.  You are going to be fine.

The higher AHI was likely due to the fact that you were awake much of the night.  The machine does not know if you are awake or soundly asleep and your breathing while awake can look like breathing events.  This is very, very common.  In the sleep lab, the monitor your brain waves and can tell if you are awake and discard data when you are not sleeping.

It could also be that your Flex settings are causing central apnea events, reducing Flex usually fixes this (assuming you don't actually have central apnea!).
Post Reply Post Reply
Flex setting do not cause central events. I would listen if anyone has any case studies proving otherwise.

Two things come to mind for me. Possibly you were not fully titrated in supine or rem sleep. Or your have oral leaking. Either or both will cause high numbers.

I would need to see your sleep study results and your download from last night to make a verdict.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-24-2017, 06:58 PM)chill Wrote: Welcome.  You need four posts before you can use link.  We can figure out links with spaces in them.

The higher AHI was likely due to the fact that you were awake much of the night.  The machine does not know if you are awake or soundly asleep and your breathing while awake can look like breathing events.  This is very, very common.  In the sleep lab, the monitor your brain waves and can tell if you are awake and discard data when you are not sleeping.

It could also be that your Flex settings are causing central apnea events, reducing Flex usually fixes this (assuming you don't actually have central apnea!).

Thanks very much for warm welcome. Yeah trying not to worry to much. I did sleep some though, was only fully awake a few times. 
I turned the flex option completely off as it seemed when i did some testing it was much more comfortable with it off. Not sure if that effects the numbers as well.

I'm going to post the links to the screencasts with some spaces.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-24-2017, 07:12 PM)tuckman Wrote: Flex setting do not cause central events. I would listen if anyone has any case studies proving otherwise.

Two things come to mind for me. Possibly you were not fully titrated in supine or rem sleep. Or your have oral leaking. Either or both will cause high numbers.

I would need to see your sleep study results and your download from last night to make a verdict.

Thanks man. I actually sleep on my back and do not move at all (its very odd). My sleep study showed it, 100% back sleeper.

I have flex turned off. Going to wait until I have 4 posts in order to post the images.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the Apnea Board.  There are a number of members who can offer suggestions based on their own experience on this Board.  We will be better able to offer suggestions when we can see your data.  You will be able to make changes based on suggestions from our own experience and you will be able to determine if your changes produce positive results by looking at your own charts.  Stay in touch.  

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
Fihappy, post a couple more times, and the images won't be a problem, or just add some spaces to the links. Did you have a titration study where you were evaluated on a CPAP to determine your pressures? I'm guessing not.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-24-2017, 07:37 PM)richb Wrote: Welcome to the Apnea Board.  There are a number of members who can offer suggestions based on their own experience on this Board.  We will be better able to offer suggestions when we can see your data.  You will be able to make changes based on suggestions from our own experience and you will be able to determine if your changes produce positive results by looking at your own charts.  Stay in touch.  

Rich

Thanks Rich for the welcome. I installed and have my first nights data into sleepyhead. About to post the data here.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-24-2017, 07:50 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Fihappy, post a couple more times, and the images won't be a problem, or just add some spaces to the links.  Did you have a titration study where you were evaluated on a CPAP to determine your pressures?  I'm guessing not.

Will do. I only had a home sleep study from the doctor. Ares I believe.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-24-2017, 06:58 PM)chill Wrote: Welcome.  You need four posts before you can use link.  We can figure out links with spaces in them.

Updated my post to include the links in text format.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Switching to automatic raised AHI numbers Leitrim 4 122 03-26-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Leitrim
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 128 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 710 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 109 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 121 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  COSA, hypoxemia, AFIB, high BP, polycythemia, and CBTI? Motorheadrulz 45 4,435 03-16-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Motorheadrulz
  Stumbled into amazing fix for my high ahi Lanners 2 218 03-09-2024, 11:15 AM
Last Post: kkjacks

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.