Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First night very high numbers
RE: First night very high numbers
(01-24-2017, 07:50 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Fihappy, post a couple more times, and the images won't be a problem, or just add some spaces to the links.  Did you have a titration study where you were evaluated on a CPAP to determine your pressures?  I'm guessing not.

Updated the post with the images.
Post Reply Post Reply
Looks like you have rem related osa. The pressure is increased suddenly and the leak soars.

How dry is you mouth through the night or right when you wake up?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi fihappy,
WELCOME! to the forum.!!
Good luck to you with your CPAP therapy, hang in there for answers about your graphs.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-24-2017, 08:34 PM)tuckman Wrote: Looks like you have rem related osa. The pressure is increased suddenly and the leak soars.

Mouth does feel pretty dry when I wake throughout the night as well as in the morning. Never had dry mouth problem without the cpap.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-24-2017, 09:12 PM)fihappy Wrote:
(01-24-2017, 08:34 PM)tuckman Wrote: Looks like you have rem related osa. The pressure is increased suddenly and the leak soars.

Mouth does feel pretty dry when I wake throughout the night as well as in the morning. Never had dry mouth problem without the cpap.

That is the main problem I see according to those charts you posted. 

You need a chinstrap or a full face mask to properly address the issue. Once that is fixed then the pressure settings can be fine tuned.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-24-2017, 09:25 PM)tuckman Wrote:

You need a chinstrap or a full face mask to properly address the issue. Once that is fixed then the pressure settings can be fine tuned.

So this high of leaks can cause the system to report high ahi and osa events? I woke up a few times with the mask leaking out the side and shooting in my eyes. I did also open my mouth a handful of times intentionally to relieve some mouth pressure. My leak data look bad? 
If so, I may just need to tighten the mask. I'm hoping that's what caused this high ahi.
Post Reply Post Reply
No, the leaks are not causing the high AHI.  There are plenty of events when the leak rate is under control.  They will cause a dry mouth if you are mouth breathing and will affect your therapy once you get things ironed out more.  

What I see is that your minimum pressure of four is far too low to allow the machine to ramp up to the pressure that you need in time. I think you will want this closer to 9.  You can try bumping it up to six or seven to start with and then gradually moving it up by 0.5 every few nights, depending on how you tolerate the increased pressure.

You can select that session where you were playing around in Sleepyhead and turn it "off" / disable it. That will make the graphs easier to interpret.
Post Reply Post Reply

So this high of leaks can cause the system to report high ahi and osa events? I woke up a few times with the mask leaking out the side and shooting in my eyes. I did also open my mouth a handful of times intentionally to relieve some mouth pressure. My leak data look bad? 
If so, I may just need to tighten the mask. I'm hoping that's what caused this high ahi.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-24-2017, 11:09 PM)fihappy Wrote:
(01-24-2017, 09:12 PM)fihappy Wrote: Mouth does feel pretty dry when I wake throughout the night as well as in the morning. Never had dry mouth problem without the cpap.

Imagine 70 lpm of air rushing out of your mouth. That's air that is not being delivered to assist in keeping your airway open. Yes high oral leaking or mask leaks can cause osa.

Your leak values are too high for a nasal mask at those pressures. Either your mask needs to be tightened or you have oral leaking. Or both. Address the leak first.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am pretty sure that high oral leaking does not cause OSA.   Grin  It can prevent the machine from effectively treating it, depending on how large the leak is.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Switching to automatic raised AHI numbers Leitrim 4 118 03-26-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Leitrim
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 126 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 701 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 106 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 118 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  COSA, hypoxemia, AFIB, high BP, polycythemia, and CBTI? Motorheadrulz 45 4,422 03-16-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Motorheadrulz
  Stumbled into amazing fix for my high ahi Lanners 2 214 03-09-2024, 11:15 AM
Last Post: kkjacks

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.