Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First night very high numbers
RE: First night very high numbers
I completely agree with Rich, and this was my original recommendation as well...not the minimum pressure, but the single CPAP pressure. This is characteristic of central apnea, and is what Richb went through when he arrived here. Notice he uses an ASV machine? I think you will too. It took Rich over a year to get approved an to satisfy all the testing to accomplish what he did. That said, we have had pretty good success in getting members with central and complex apnea into reasonable efficacy by limiting pressure and pressure fluctuations.

This is important, we are not talking about auto CPAP mode. We want to see CPAP mode with a fixed single pressure and no flex.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-25-2017, 09:32 PM)richb Wrote: Thank you for posting the clips.  Your graphs are showing the rising and falling patterns typical of Central Apnea even during periods that are not scored.  I would try the 6.5 with no flex.  The idea is to eliminate the pressure differential from inhale to exhale.  Your machine can just about eliminate Obstructive events but can cause Central events due to the washing out of normal blood CO2 levels.  This dual type of Apnea is often referred to as Mixed Apnea.  The first goal is to work with the settings to try and eliminate the Central events with lower fixed pressures while still keeping the Obstructive events at bay.  6.5 is a low pressure but is considered in the therapeutic range for Obstructive Apnea. Try tweeking your present machine before looking at other options.  

Rich

Good info Rich. Will give it a shot. To set a "fixed" pressure do I have to change the cpap mode from auto to cpap, or just change the min/max?
Post Reply Post Reply
You can achieve the same thing in Auto mode setting min and max to equal pressure. The advantage is that you retain data recording for flow limitation which will be disabled in CPAP mode.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-25-2017, 10:29 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I completely agree with Rich, and this was my original recommendation as well...not the minimum pressure, but the single CPAP pressure.  This is characteristic of central apnea, and is what Richb went through when he arrived here.  Notice he uses an ASV machine?  I think you will too.  It took Rich over a year to get approved an to satisfy all the testing to accomplish what he did.   That said, we have had pretty good success in getting members with central and complex apnea into reasonable efficacy by limiting pressure and pressure fluctuations.  

This is important, we are not talking about auto CPAP mode.  We want to see CPAP mode with a fixed single pressure and no flex.

Last night I changed the settings to:
min 6 
max 6
Flex: OFF

Below is my results from sleepyhead. 
*Notes to consider in the data.
* I initially tried 6.5 when i went to bed but had a hard time breathing out and changed it shortly after to 6.
* I laid in bed for at least an hour awake after starting the machine and probably did not start falling asleep until around 3:15a-3:30a
* Sometime around 8:30am I woke up, turned off the machine and looked at the AHI to see it at 15. At that time I turned FLEX back ON and pressure to 6.5/6.5 and laid there for a few minutes but couldn't go back to sleep and turned the machine off.

My results confuse me, especially given how different they are from the previous day. Previous day showed the CA events high, now today its the OA events. I think the flex has a large effect on me ON/OFF.

[Image: bfd3b218-b789-4840-a179-5de6055ad786_bc0...-08-35.png]

[Image: 7c3c2ca7-9b94-4b31-86d2-091740e16761_bc0...-09-56.png]

[Image: 1f804e3a-24d7-4759-97a9-05accf57442b_bc0...-11-13.png]

Some clips

[Image: d80e232b-d2ce-4553-b0a8-46ca8fe01f06_bc0...-19-00.png]

[Image: 7609828c-2eb1-409f-8051-52f03eac7957_bc0...-20-54.png]

[Image: 22f3f393-ed3b-4c87-b34c-0cd22c75eac6_bc0...-23-12.png]

[Image: e32c411f-b96a-48f6-ae22-3c274d176d66_bc0...-28-33.png]

[Image: 233a5dbb-a4c9-48e4-8133-386f0d03d2dd_bc0...-15-50.png]

[Image: fa1593d1-f188-4302-87ed-aef1a47e76fb_bc0...-16-52.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, you now have the Centrals under control but now the pressure is too low to control the OSA. You are most likely a candidate for an ASV machine that can provide enough pressure to eliminate the OSA and can provide pressure pulses to stimulate inspiration to overcome the Centrals that the OSA treatment produces. Higher pressures will also create mask issues that are a separate issue. SR suggested a new sleep study and a titration on a new machine . Looks like that new machine should be an ASV machine. You can still try increase your pressures by 1 cm H2O at a time to see if there is a sweet spot with an AHI under 5. If you can't find that sweet spot it is a very good indication that traditional CPAP/APAP will not work for you. Medicare and most insurance requires that you fail at traditional CPAP/APAP before you can get an ASV machine. Using an ASV machine during a PSG/titration will determine if you can actually use the ASV machine. Leak issues and comfort issues can be worked out later. So, try some higher settings with no or minimal pressure relief but be prepared to make an appointment to discuss Complex/Mixed Apnea along with a new PSG and titration.
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Switching to automatic raised AHI numbers Leitrim 4 122 03-26-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Leitrim
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 131 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 714 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 110 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 122 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  COSA, hypoxemia, AFIB, high BP, polycythemia, and CBTI? Motorheadrulz 45 4,438 03-16-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Motorheadrulz
  Stumbled into amazing fix for my high ahi Lanners 2 218 03-09-2024, 11:15 AM
Last Post: kkjacks

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.