Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First night wearing FF mask - arrgh
RE: First night wearing FF mask - arrgh
Hey Jim,
I had the exact same problem at first with the Quatro, it all went away with the addition of the climateline hose. I found that once I got the temp / humidity setting nailed down, my mouth was no longer dry and I was using less water in my humidifier every night. I've since switched to the Amara View with even better results. Good luck,
Mike
Post Reply Post Reply
I wore a chin strap for three years and I still hadn't trained myself to keep the air from leaking out. I tried several types of chin straps and adjusted the heck out of them. It wasn't until I switched to a FFM that I finally got rid of daytime tiredness. No doctor or DME taught me this. I had to learn it myself from studying my leak rate graphs.

The problem with tape is there's no anti-asphyxiation valve. I can't believe a medical professional would recommend it. I'd be too scared to try it. There is an anti-snore thing sold in the UK called chin up strips. Google it and it'll give you clues about how you can tape your mouth shut in such a way that you leave an opening in the center.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried the tape last night with my nasal mask, and it worked great. My numbers are very good with no OAs at all. I had a few centrals just before I woke up, which I think is normal for me. I slept soundly for about five hours, and felt good today. My AHI was 2.2, including the few centrals and a few UAs, and one or two hypopneas. There was only one large leak just before I got up, so it was probably due to my shifting positions while waking.

The tape that my doc recommended is a special tape with weak adhesive and a thin paper backing. He was adamant that I use only that kind of tape and not use any old garden variety tape for the reasons Paula02 mentioned. Before I went to bed, I applied the tape and confirmed that I could open my mouth with only moderate pressure. After my testing, I'm not the least bit worried that I can't remove it easily if necessary. In fact, I was able to yawn and re-apply it without any problem. It stayed in place all night, and after a while, I couldn't even feel it. I was able to remove it easily with no adhesive residue.

My mouth was slightly dry in the morning, so I'll increase the humidity a bit tonight.

I also picked up some nasal rinse and the Biotene mouthwash to try.

I think I'm on the right path to getting better therapy thanks in part to the forum. Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
What tape are you using?
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-18-2015, 10:40 PM)Sleepster Wrote: What tape are you using?
It's a type of tape that is normally used to apply surgical dressings to areas with a lot of hair, since it can be removed with little discomfort. I bought the CVS house brand. It is about two inches wide and easy to tear into pieces. The doc showed it to me in his office so I'd know what to buy.

And BTW, I don't recommend anyone using tape without consulting with your sleep doc first. Some patients may have underlying conditions that preclude use of tape. In any case, try it out before applying it and going to sleep. You should be able to open your mouth quickly without much effort.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-18-2015, 10:52 PM)Jim Bronson Wrote: I bought the CVS house brand.

Can you tell us what it says on the package?
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
I tossed the packaging, but you can search CVS/paper tape/sensitive skin, and you should find it. I'll take a look next time I'm in the store, probably this week.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Haven't been able to fall asleep wearing biPAP AlgebraicMisery 1 240 02-17-2024, 07:25 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Unable to keep mask throughout night Overdrawn 4 242 02-10-2024, 08:13 PM
Last Post: Overdrawn
  Mask riding up at night robbob2112 1 321 12-22-2023, 05:58 PM
Last Post: mushroom
  First week - One "good" night and waking up with mask off most nights ghost10 9 683 12-15-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: ghost10
  Mask type in settings isn’t the mask I’m wearing 3k9BAO 1 419 11-15-2023, 11:31 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Can't keep mask on all night emash124 4 577 09-19-2023, 01:08 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question [CPAP] Waking at night with headache, switch from nasal to full face mask. new2paphopeful 1 626 07-23-2023, 07:51 PM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.