Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First night with new gear: AirTouch F20 and Ultimate Chinstrap
RE: First night with new gear: AirTouch F20 and Ultimate Chinstrap
(01-24-2018, 09:30 AM)Shin Ryoku Wrote: I'm guessing that the reason I get more flow limitation and higher AHI with full face masks in general is likely related to either neck flexion or mandible movement, both of which could be helped with a collar, so I'd very love to find a collar that can work for me.

The mandible movement might just be a strenuous objection from your jaws: they're being pinched and pressured by the grossly over-tightened strap. If you look at the lower strap on your right cheek, it crosses exactly over the mandible, jamming it in place. The jaws need to relax while you're sleeping, just like your other muscles. They're powerful, too; they're going to want to be out from under the squeeze. Give them a break!

If you have to wear the F20 that tight to keep it from leaking it's probably not the right mask for you, or you need another method like a mask liner.

---------

I'm guessing neck flexion would be the same with a pillow or an FFM, so it might not be a factor in the comparison.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think a FFM is probably just not the right type for me. I've tried a bunch of different ones and always go back to nasal masks. But again, the reason it is pushing into my face so much in the picture is that I've adjusted the straps for 20cm H2O and have the pressure low in the picture. Once the pressure goes up, the mask lifts away from my face and isn't digging in so much.

Regarding neck flexion, I definitely feel like some of the FFM straps contribute to neck flexion. YMMV.
-Amin
Nothing I say on the forum should be taken as medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
Reading your thread I decided to try the Air touch again. I actually slept pretty well. But my AHI went up from .20 to 2.0 . I had forgotten that you need to increase the pressure when switching to a FFM from pillows. You might want to try the Air Touch after increasing pressure up 1cm to see how your results are.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I just ordered a Padacheek liner and anti-leak strap to see if that helps me use the F20 AirTouch without making the straps so tight.
-Amin
Post Reply Post Reply
I was reading some reviews on the Ultimate chin strap and some said they had a problem with the top strap slipping. Did you have any problems with that?
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-25-2018, 11:44 AM)Walla Walla Wrote: I was reading some reviews on the Ultimate chin strap and some said they had a problem with the top strap slipping. Did you have any problems with that?

I've not had that problem, but I can see how it would happen.  Unlike my other chinstrap, there is nothing to keep the UC top strap from moving except for friction and head shape.
-Amin
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-25-2018, 12:07 PM)Shin Ryoku Wrote:
(01-25-2018, 11:44 AM)Walla Walla Wrote: I was reading some reviews on the Ultimate chin strap and some said they had a problem with the top strap slipping. Did you have any problems with that?

I've not had that problem, but I can see how it would happen.  Unlike my other chinstrap, there is nothing to keep the UC top strap from moving except for friction and head shape.

Hmmm- I have a pointed bald head.  Probably not a good device, eh?
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-25-2018, 08:00 AM)Shin Ryoku Wrote: I think a FFM is probably just not the right type for me.  I've tried a bunch of different ones and always go back to nasal masks.  But again, the reason it is pushing into my face so much  in the picture is that I've adjusted the straps for 20cm H2O and have the pressure low in the picture.  Once the pressure goes up, the mask lifts away from my face and isn't digging in so much.

Regarding neck flexion, I definitely feel like some of the FFM straps contribute to neck flexion.  YMMV.

I guess I'm not understanding. When the pressure goes up, the cushion on the mask inflates more, the mask ends of tighter, not looser, surely? The mask pushes into your face more. That's my experience.

It is, though, important to balance tightness with leaks. It's just that that mask, per Resmed, is designed not to be tight (at any pressure).

But yes, some folks aren't into FFM's at all.
Post Reply Post Reply
Actually one of the selling points Resmed uses for the Air Touch is you can tighten it up to get rid of leaks. It's on a Resmed Q & A YouTube about the Air Touch.
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, Walla Walla, that was my error. I thought we were referring to an Airfit F20, and not the Airtouch F20.

But my point about jamming the jaws and overly tight straps still stands.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Knightsbridge Chinstrap Owners.... Lucky7 0 64 04-13-2024, 11:10 AM
Last Post: Lucky7
Angry AirTouch N20 - digs into cheek - any solutions? Lilaq88 2 671 03-26-2024, 03:16 PM
Last Post: Valtor
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 231 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
  AirTouch F20 mask date code? Labromaniac 4 466 02-14-2024, 12:34 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  Cleaning CPAP & AirTouch F20 Mask PoutinePrincess 2 408 02-10-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Airtouch F20 nose irritation artg 4 508 01-10-2024, 06:45 AM
Last Post: artg
Question ChinStrap & Data tblaster 2 414 11-28-2023, 10:59 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.