Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] SA
SA
Hi all,
I have been diagnosed with SA.
I have ordered a cpap machine on the Internet.As this is all new to me I would appreciate any advice

Thanks Lorraine
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: SA
you could start by telling us exactly what you ordered.
Post Reply Post Reply
G'day Lorraine, welcome to Apnea Board.

You've come to the right place - there is a LOT of information and advice available on this forum. The Wiki is a good place to start - see the link at the top of this page. There you can browse anything that takes your interest. The list of acronyms and glossary will be especially useful.

To manage your therapy properly you will need to know what's happening with your breathing each night. The excellent [url=http://OSCAR Official Download Page ----> CLICK HERE ./]SleepyHead software[/url] will display your results in great detail, and plenty of people here will help you to understand them.

The best general advice I can give you right now is don't panic, keep calm and breathe. Smile Lots of people see this diagnosis as a something terrible, when really it's an opportunity to greatly improve your quality of life. Breathing with the aid of a machine is just breathing. There's no special skill or ability required. It can feel strange at first, but that quickly passes. The hardest part is to get a mask which fits properly and is comfortable. Be prepared to try several different masks until you find the one that's right for you.

At this stage, we really need you to share some information with us, so that we can provide more specific advice. Please tell us about your diagnosis - did you have a full sleep test? Do you know what your apnea-hypopnea index (AHI) is? Do you know the breakdown between obstructive and central events? If you don't know these things, please ask your doctor for a copy of your sleep test report, and ask him/her to go through these items with you.

And, importantly, what type of machine have you ordered?

Good luck, and welcome.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the apnea forum. Best way to learn is to just read some of the posts. As you read you'll learn some things and get curious about others. Also use the 'search' feature. Maybe you heard about 'heated hoses', what's that you say, search on 'heated hoses' and you'll learn answers to questions you never thought to ask. Since we can't know all there is about you, but you do, you are the best judge of what piques your curiosity and what you need to know. The more you read, the more you learn. I like to read new posts, even if they are about something weird like 'SA' (your post) - I have learned a lot in my 2 months here just by reading new posts. Learn and enjoy, it may seem daunting but it ain't rocket science.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Lojos71,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
What kind of machine did you order? Please tell us some more information so we can help you a bit better.
Hang in there for more answers to your questions and much success to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.