Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First night with the Air Touch F20 memory foam mask
First night with the Air Touch F20 memory foam mask
Hello everyone,
I wanted to share my experience with the new Air Touch F20 memory foam mask.  I have been trying out several new masks recently in hopes of finding one that would not leave the pressure marks I am currently getting with using the Quattro FX.  For starters the Air Touch F20 is a beautiful mask.  Very light weight, love that the cushion pops in and out so easily and the magnetic clips are wonderful.  Also very easy to disconnect the hose from the mask.  The outer part of the cushion is still silicone with only the inner part that comes in contact with your face being memory foam.

I put it on for the first time last night in front of the bathroom mirror so I could clearly see what I was doing.  The thing I noticed immediately was that the mask put pressure on the bridge of nose.  It was almost like the cushion instantly gravitated towards the bride of the nose and away from the middle of the chin.  Being that I had the same issue when I tried the Air Fit F20 recently, I removed the mask and placed a band aid over the bridge of my nose.  Once I put the mask back on I tightened the lower straps so the mask would sit better on the lower part of my face.  Unfortunately the upper straps are very short on this mask.  I only had them folded over about an inch and there was no way to really loosen it any more.  I found that if I pushed the back of the headgear up a bit it did help a little with the pressure on the bridge of the nose.

When I got in bed and turned the machine on, the memory foam felt very comfortable against my face.  While on my back the mask sealed beautifully with no further adjustments.  When I turned on my side it was a different story.  The mask instantly leaked in the lower part of the cushion.  I was able to adjust it to seal back up.  I have often read and seen video's where they say to pull the mask away from your face so it can reseal.  It is really impossible to do with this mask.  Being that the upper straps are so short there is almost no give when trying to pull the mask away from your face.  The diffuser is noisier than on the Quattro FX.  I had to pull the sheet up as it actually blew cool air on me which was a little annoying but something I could get used to.

For the most part I would say I slept quite well.  I am predominantly a side sleeper.  I found that the straps on the Air Touch are much more comfortable than the Quattro FX when sleeping on my side.  I did awaken a couple times due to leaks in the lower part of the cushion but was able to adjust it quickly.  I woke up this morning feeling quite rested.  My machine does not have any data so it is impossible for me to know how well I really slept.  The bridge of my nose was sore this morning and even though I put a band aid over my nose, there was a distinct red mark running across the bridge of my nose.  I also had those dreaded pressure marks on my face from the cushion and no real visible marks from the straps.  

I used the wipe to clean the cushion and mask as is advised.  I am not really crazy about using just a wipe to clean the mask.  To me it seems like washing something in warm soapy water would be much more sanitary then just wiping it down.  I also wonder how well the memory foam will hold up over time.  The area of memory foam is pretty thin on the cushion so I could see how it would start to wear out quickly.  But I guess time will tell.

For those of you using the Air Touch, does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the pressure off the bridge of the nose?  It seems to me if I get the cushion to lie more evenly on my face it would be much better.  But given that those upper straps are so short I don't see how that is really possible.  I can easily run two fingers underneath the upper and lower straps so I definitely don't have the mask too tight.   I ordered the Air Touch for her mask in a size medium as that is the size I measured at from the template.  Maybe a different size cushion?  I would appreciate any comments or suggestions anyone might have.  Sorry this is so long but I wanted to be as detailed as possible regarding my experience with this mask as I know others might be interested in trying it.  Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: First night with the Air Touch F20 memory foam mask
How 'bout an update, I'm wondering how long the memory foam will last.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a similar problem with the F20 mask, and then noticed that I had an F20 S mask. The mask comes in small (S), standard (nothing), and large (I haven't seen what it has). I exchanged my S for a standard, and the fit is better (longer top straps). I still find that the mask doesn't work for me. I have beautiful readings with nasal pillows, and terrible obstructive apnea with the mask. It's a good fit, however Smile .  I'm back to my nasal pillows.
Richard
Post Reply Post Reply
My mask will soon be 4 months old and it still looks good. To clean it I spray it with cpap mask cleaner citrus two, then I take a Waterwipes (which has no chemicals) and wipe it down. I have oily skin and seems to be working. Make sure your face is clean when using your mask.

I used to use an airfit f20 which bothered my nose and here is a link that helped. I have carried it over on the airtouch F20

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...e-nose-fix

car54
Post Reply Post Reply
When I got the ASV a month ago, I chose the Air Fit F20, the RT gave it in medium. No go as it kept leaking. She sent me a small cushion, I swapped it in and bingo it works great. The RT then sent me accidentally 2 more cushions but they were medium like the first one. I requested a return be processed as I didn't open the other mediums. Apria sent the pickup OK to UPS to take them from the house. While calling about the 2 wrong cushions, I asked to try the AirTouch cushions. Got 2 of them and they are great as well, but don't seal as good for me. 5 or 5 coffees. Dave
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,893 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  CPAP compressed air path design, foam, filtration & maintenance MaNoise 10 323 03-25-2024, 11:07 AM
Last Post: MaNoise
  Unable to keep mask throughout night Overdrawn 4 279 02-10-2024, 08:13 PM
Last Post: Overdrawn
  Switch to memory foam cushion? Toddsims 4 544 12-28-2023, 12:14 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Mask riding up at night robbob2112 1 345 12-22-2023, 05:58 PM
Last Post: mushroom
  First week - One "good" night and waking up with mask off most nights ghost10 9 708 12-15-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: ghost10
  Remstar -> DS 1(new foam) mw1655 0 273 11-29-2023, 05:54 AM
Last Post: mw1655

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.