Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First night with the equipment
First night with the equipment
So, a user goes to bed, knowing that there'll be considerable time spent watching a baseball game on television. That might be 30 minutes to an hour. Yet, at some point during the time frame sleep will overtake. The TV may or may not be turned off but sleep is inevitable in that general time frame. Should the user go to bed with the mask on or wait until sleep overtakes - realizing that if he waits he may end up sleeping without the mask?  Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: First night with the equipment
I lay down to watch tv with maskon so I dont have to wake up and put it on
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Gary. I’m doing that as I type this! This CPAP will take some getting used to I’m afraid...
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, it surely will.  You'll find ways to make it 'smoother' though.  It will become second nature soon enough.  You'll adapt, find that you need to change a few things that seemed pretty certain (like a mask or headgear), learn some things about CPAP and yourself....and in a couple of weeks or more you'll be looking forward to the better sleep CPAP will almost certainly afford you.
Post Reply Post Reply
We in the UK were always told to put the mask on if there was any risk of sleep creeping up on you.
That was fine when the machines were all CPAP and fixed pressure and didn't store much information about you other than hours used.
Today it is another ball game in that the machine stores a lot of information, including all apneas that happen and as the machine is just a machine it has no idea if you are sleeping or not.
In the UK this makes a big change as we have to be below 5 AHI to keep our driving license.
They don't tell you if they average it out or not but at one time it used to be asked "How do you feel"?
This was enough if you felt fine and not sleepy, now however, they look at the data, so it might not be such a good idea, thought saying that we also have to have five hours of use as well, so if you are having a few late night it could affect their decision of whether we get our driving license back!

So we need <5 AHI and >5 hours sleep.

So the question is do you put the mask on or leave it off and risk falling asleep.
I would just put it on anyway, it is not worth falling asleep without the mask on.

Be interesting what others would do.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Encouragement appreciated!
Post Reply Post Reply
In the UK I was told that the requirement was to be on treatment for at least 4 hours per night, when I complained that I was unlikely to make the 4 hours I was told to falsify the data by just lying there with the machine on until the clock ticks over the 4 hours, job done.

As claimed previously, the machine is not aware of whether you are asleep or awake.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good point. Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Best place to buy cpap equipment in Dubai or UAE Foxhunt 6 546 02-14-2024, 11:45 PM
Last Post: Macka
  [Equipment] Beginner Must Have Equipment/Supplies PoutinePrincess 7 375 02-07-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  [Equipment] Successful equipment modification tcurran 8 552 01-05-2024, 05:23 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  hammer44 - ASV Therapy Equipment Question hammer44 11 601 01-01-2024, 01:47 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [CPAP] CPAP Equipment Selection mgonthier 1 333 09-13-2023, 06:33 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  First night with hose cover, night was full of major mask leaks TiredTom111 2 850 06-30-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: TiredTom111
  What to do with "old" equipment? Paul Van Benschoten 10 939 06-30-2023, 08:34 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.