Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First nights Data. Do I even have apnea??
First nights Data. Do I even have apnea??
Here's my first full nights data. I tried the machine two nights ago and didn't get much sleep. Last night I slept most of the night except for a couple of bathroom breaks + a couple hours since I was so exhausted from the previous night.

My events are very low. Is there any why to tell what my untreated AHI would be from this? It seems like the sleep study I had could be wrong and I don't have much apnea or hypopnea, or is it just very low since I'm using the machine with a 7 for the minimum pressure?

[Image: DIBsd74.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: First nights Data. Do I even have apnea??
Very well controlled apnea.
Whether or not you have apnea depends on your scores without a xPAP machine such as during your initial sleep study. My dailies are very similar to yours (higher pressure) with AHI under 1.0 typically, My unaided score was 90 AHI years ago but only 70 last November.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-26-2017, 10:39 AM)bonjour Wrote: Very well controlled apnea.
Whether or not you have apnea depends on your scores  without a xPAP machine such as during your initial sleep study.  My dailies are very similar to yours (higher pressure) with AHI under 1.0 typically, My unaided score was 90 AHI years ago  but only 70 last November.

My initial study stated my AHI was 9 on my side, and 20 on my back. Mostly or all from obstructive hypopneas. I'll see if I can get a full sleep study from the doctor, they only gave me a single paragraph typed note.
Post Reply Post Reply
It appears that your treatment is working.

You could move the EPR to 1 to minimize clear airways, but really, it all looks good, except........I notice alot of breaks in your sleep. Could be just getting used to therapy.

What was your "untreated" AHI?
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-26-2017, 10:44 AM)OpalRose Wrote: It appears that your treatment is working.  

You could move the EPR to 1 to minimize clear airways, but really, it all looks good, except........I notice alot of breaks in your sleep. Could be just getting used to therapy.

What was your "untreated" AHI?

those breaks in my sleep are why I got a sleep study to begin with. I wake up 5-15 times per night. I don't feel like it was due to the mask last night, just felt like my normal wake-ups. 

Untreated AHI was 9 on my side, and 20 on my back. They said it was due to obstructive hypopneas. 

I was hoping the CPAP would help with the wake-ups. Maybe it will with more time.
Post Reply Post Reply
Then you have Apnea, without question.
Nice job on controlling it. Nice numbers.

Now the important question, How do you feel?
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-26-2017, 10:47 AM)bonjour Wrote: Then you have Apnea, without question.
Nice job on controlling it. Nice numbers.

Now the important question, How do you feel?

Thanks. I did quite a bit of research on the forums here before starting. My prescribed pressures were 5-15, but started with 6 as suggested by some of the members. I found that that wasn't even enough so bumped it to 7 last night and the feeling the need to yawn stopped.

Feeling very well rested today, but the true test will be later in the day I think. 

My nose is a little sore from having my face in my pillow last night
Post Reply Post Reply
As bonjour stated.....you have Apnea.  

When I first started therapy, I would wake up several times, but for me, it was due to anxiety.
I got over it and it didn't take long to adjust and get better sleep.

Try to keep a schedule when preparing for bed.  Turn off TV, Ipads, Computers, etc.  
Make your room as comfortable as possible.  Don't eat or drink caffeinated drinks 4 to 6 hours before bed.  

You have very good results for just starting out.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I can official say I'm quite exhausted today, despite sleeping pretty well for 10 hours. Not sure what's going, but may need to give it more time.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hang in there. It does take time for most people to start feeling the full benefit of cpap therapy.

For now just concentrate on getting used to sleeping with the machine and work with the people on the forum in getting familiar with your machine and fine tuning your therapy, if needed. You've got two of the most knowledgeable members of the forum helping you and more waiting in the wings, if needed.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 617 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 254 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  21 nights in, seeking advice smmille1 3 216 03-10-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: smmille1
  First two nights with results meettherobinsons 5 453 01-18-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: meettherobinsons
  First week - One "good" night and waking up with mask off most nights ghost10 9 683 12-15-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: ghost10
  [Treatment] My very first two nights! domod 6 583 11-30-2023, 10:06 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Sad One of my worst nights. adamwhereartthou 1 455 11-06-2023, 02:23 PM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.