Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First of what I am sure will be many questions
First of what I am sure will be many questions
Hello all,

I am new. Not completely thrilled with the idea of having this challenge but I will make the best of it. I have researched everything I can and it appears that I may be in the minority and not have OA but mostly CA type events, which if I understand correctly is more difficult to treat since positive pressure keeping the airway open doesn't seem to be my major issue. My untreated AHI was 40+ so the CPAP is certainly making a difference.

Three questions for the group.

1) my DreamMapper IOS app says all is fine and reports 100% Mask Fit, 1 Disconnect, 0:01hrs Large Leak, Large Leak 0.3% but SleepyHead says "You mask is leaking way to much...Talk to your CPAP Advisor"

2) It seems like something needs to change. I was going to try a full mask?

3) Do I need to consider a different type of machine?

[attachment=2639]

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: First of what I am sure will be many questions
Welcome

You have a low level of CA now, but most of what is labeled CA is right at the beginning of your sleep schedule, and is likely what we call "sleep/wake junk" You certainly have OSA, and it is largely mitigated by the CPAP. If you subtract out the CA events that occur in the first hour there, you have a treated AHI

How long have you been using the machine? Some of this may subside as you become accustomed to it.

You are on a constant pressure of 12. Your profile says you have an APAP, so I am guessing you had a in-lab titration and that they saw CPAP induced CA when you had pressure changes and they put you on 12 as a tradeoff --- although that is a guess
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
also, I would guess that you are mouth breathing... try the technique in my sig Smile pillows are more comfy than ffm - but if you can't, then, yeah try the ffm!

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Daria,

They said I was a "shallow breather" so I assumed it was HA events. I have a follow up appointment the 28th to get more information.

I had a sleep study they woke me up put a pillow mask on me and I assume tirtated me for the rest of the night.

After the test they said I didn't mouth breadth during the study.

Once I got an in home unit I noticed my throat and mouth were extremely dry even without humidity. I went back and asked for a chin strap, that seemed to help alot and my AHI dropped almost in half but 2 or 3 times a night I still experience dry teeth and gums and have to drink water.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi dontwantapnea,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
CPAP therapy takes some getting used to but just stick with it, it does get better.
Hang in there for more answers to your question, good luck to you on your CPAP journey.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
if it isn't mouth breathing, it could be just a mask that doesnt fit well enough. the right mask is 85% of the battle, I think!

Post Reply Post Reply
I assume my oxygen level drops and my HR increases...

Is this normal if the therapy is working?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Your heart rate will vary quite widely during REM sleep (dreaming). It's quite normal and yours never goes above 100 which is well within the normal range. Your heart rate does go quite low, though, although not abnormally low if you are exercising a fair amount.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
DreamMapper can be optimistic, but I think your SleepyHead configuration might be wrong. In SleepyHead, go to Preferences - CPAP. "Flag leaks over threshold" should be 24 L/Min for your machine. I think.

You do seem to have more leaks than you should. You might need a different mask, or might just need to adjust the mask that you have.

With the leak rate and your newness to the therapy, I will guess that you don't need a Bi-level or ASV machine. I had a number of CA's when I started and they have disappeared.

You said, "my throat and mouth were extremely dry even without humidity". I assume you meant with not without. Otherwise you are adjusting in the wrong direction. More humidity should help with this. If it does not, you are mouth breathing.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 146 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 267 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 258 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 306 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer
  Need Help. Many Questions wkennedy 6 463 12-31-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: wkennedy
  My treatment fun. Questions. robbob2112 15 1,593 10-26-2023, 10:19 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie questions - What am I seeing? lmftit 0 358 09-04-2023, 04:44 PM
Last Post: lmftit

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.