Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[split] What does machine class as apnoea event? [multicast thread]
[split] What does machine class as apnoea event? [multicast thread]
(05-10-2020, 02:11 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: It sounds like SWJ so I'd disregard.

So might we say that an event scored as apnoea without a flow limitation is SWJ?  Take this, e.g.:

Unfortunately the machine responded with an increase of pressure ...

Mike
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What does machine class as apnoea event?
SWJ occurs near a therapy break. No breaks are apparent in the chart and therefore no SWJ unless you know this is an awake period. We ignore all awake periods because we are lookig at treating during sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-12-2020, 09:09 AM)multicast Wrote: So might we say that an event scored as apnoea without a flow limitation is SWJ?  Take this, e.g.:

Unfortunately the machine responded with an increase of pressure ...

Mike

Mke that example looks like real obstructive flow apnea that was the result of positional apnea (chin-tuck). The increase in pressure is expected behavior, and there are two additional clusters of OA that kind of confirm you might benefit from a soft cervical collar.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=22864]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks a lot!

Mike
Post Reply Post Reply
Again thanks for your reply.  But there's one thing I don't understand thoroughly.  As stated in the clinical manual, p6.:

"An OA apnea is when the upper airway becomes severely limited or completely obstructed."

The appropriate response is a defined increasement of pressure.  

"During a CA, the airway will remain open, but there is no flow" and no action is taken.  This is absolutely clear to me.

Now, CA and OA have in common that there is no flow, right?  The difference is that on an OA the airway is obstructed and on an CA clear. Is that right as well?

Independently the machine measured the flow rate and reacts by an increase of pressure if certain conditions are fullfilled and thus preventing OA.  So far, so good.

Now my question.  In the screenshot I sent the machine detects an OA and hence the pressure was raised.  BUT that OA occurred without any detected flow limitation, actually the limitation was zero, whereas in my imagination it should be near 100% as the airway was very limited.

What am I missing?  

Mike
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know if my thinking is accurate, but it could be that if the event escalates above just a flow limit, then via the aspect of the duration of the event, it would either be hypopnea or apnea and flagged as such. To me, flow limits are the beginning of an apnea/hypopnea event where some restriction to the airflow pathway is taking place.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Duration does not determine the class of event. To be classified as an event, hypopnea or apnea, obstructive or Central it must be 10 or more seconds in length. This is an arbitrary duration picked to put a line in the sand. Obviously the longer an event the more severe. Also shorter events, especially when clustered can have a considerable impact.

Centrals occur when no drive, no electrical or nervous signal is sent to breathe. This occurs from a variety of causes, some known, some not (ideopathic).

Both obstructive and Central have a continuum of events from apnea, to hypopnea, to flow limits or limited breathing, and finally normal breathing. On centrals you can see this in CSR where breaths start small, get big, then back to small, then a Central apnea and repeat.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your answer despite it didn't address my problem directly maybe because I didn't described it correctly enough -- sorry, I'm not a native speaker of your language.  Here's what I was confused about: I think I had a wrong notion of what "flow limitation" is, namely that if an OA occurs there must be "no flow" because of the obstruction.  That was wrong.

Here's what I've found out.  An apnea is defined as a reduction in ventilation below a certain percentage of recent breathing for at least 10 seconds.  Now this apnea may be obstructive or central.  To classify the event, ResMed machines use a force oscillation technique to examine if the airway is closed or not.  In that sense the detection of apnea is something "short-timed", momentarily.

Now "flow limitation" is "long-timed based" in contrast, calculated by some indices as flatness, breath shape, ventilation change and breath duty cycle calculated in the time of three to five minutes.

From here there is no contradiction that the flow limitation is zero when OA occurs.

Mike
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: [split] What does machine class as apnoea event? [multicast thread]
Moderator Note:  This thread has been split out from another members thread.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,086 03-27-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,271 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 969 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,219 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Jan's - Therapy Thread Jan Flikweert 71 2,592 03-21-2024, 11:01 PM
Last Post: Jan Flikweert
  brainfoggysleeper's Therapy Thread brainfoggysleeper 23 542 03-21-2024, 08:38 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  SleepyLlama therapy thread SleepyLlama 5 237 03-20-2024, 03:30 PM
Last Post: jcp519

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.