Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First post and need help
First post and need help
I am new to this Apnea Board. I have had some health issues that give me pain when I sleep. I am 79 yrs old. My sleep study last year had 35 Ahi. I have been on a Cpap since 12/16.
I had difficulty with high readings and leaks when I was sleeping on my back. I eventually found a way to side sleep in a fetal position that works but I have leg pain during night and as a consequence roll over several times a night. My Ahi’s now range from 6.0 to 13.0. I have begun to experiment with some pain meds during night to see if that may help with all my night activity when I sleep.
My SleepyHead data graphs have stabilized, but my charts seldom work. How do I proceed to get help.
Ted

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: First post and need help
Hi! Perhaps your doctor could address your leg pain....depending on the cause of it there may be medication that can help and then it will be easier to stay on your side. My events are much higher on my back too. I hope you find a solution soon!
Post Reply Post Reply
I am not as old but had same problems with legs when sleeping on side for long periods.

Get yourself a skinny pillow or a body pillow or something.

Put between legs when sleeping on side.

Helped me a lot.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a body pillow between my legs. It helps a great deal.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi moonman,
WELCOME! to the forum.!]Good luck to you with CPAP therapy, hang in there for more suggestions and answers to your question.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Moonman, if the issue is to get you more comfortable, besides the body pillow you could also try a hose buddy, it's a device that lifts your hose and lets you roll from side to side with less disturbance by the hose. You can find one if you google hose buddy. I also suggest to talk to your doctor about the pain and finally, if you can post your Sleepyhead charts here, people might be able to help you get your therapy optimized to where your AHI levels come down some more. Best of luck with your therapy, hopefully it will become more comfortable for you soon!
Post Reply Post Reply
You may be able to improve your AHI numbers by using a soft cervical collar which will help kep your airway open when you roll onto your back. The OTC Cervical Collar sold by amazon for around $11 comes in a variety of sizes. I also roll onto my back during the night and the cervical collar helped me. Also the right pillow can help. A buckwheat chaff pillow such as the CPAPfit CPAP Pillow sold at Amazon for $50 permits you to configure the pillow with a hollow for your head and support undder your neck o help keep the airway open. It is also quite comfortable.

You mentioned leak issues while on your back. I assume that is a reference to mask leaks. I suggest you look at the mask primer: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer   It has a section on managing leaks.

Please post some sleepyhead data and we will be able to provide more guidance on how to lower those AHI numbers. See the links below for instruction on how to organize and post data. You will need three more posts in the forum. Just respond with a thanks to each of those who have resonded to you and you will be there.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
You may need to increase the upper pressure to assist for when you are on your back. Or if sleeping on your back is your preferred position due to pain, there are ways to help.

Raise your upper body slightly using pillows or whatever. Also put something under your knees. This helps the back as well as keeps you from sliding. The upper body being raised helps against gravity which pulls things down. So when elevated slightly, it isn't pulling it straight down and blocking the airway.

I take an body pillow and make a U out of it and place at the head of the bed, with the open part toward the foot of the bed. I put a pillow straight up in the middle of this. That is where I lay. The legs of the U support my arms and the top of the U raises the pillow. If needed, I also put another pillow in the usual direction on top of or under the body pillow to raise even higher. Depending on need, I have various pillows  under my legs or I use a wedge there.

[Image: pillow_zps1b7l3nbz.jpg]
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 7 118 Yesterday, 12:48 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Arrow Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here SuperSleeper 1,364 625,866 03-24-2024, 07:19 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 6 186 03-23-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  r4robin - Therapy Thread (Help with BiLevel settings-post #5) r4robin 42 1,818 03-11-2024, 01:26 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  First Post - Help with Settings Ideas jrudicel 3 169 03-10-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: jrudicel
  First post, provider is not much help. DPAlaska 2 270 01-26-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: DPAlaska
  [CPAP] New User Struggling - PSG and CPAP Data Post PSG1 4 2,114 01-08-2024, 06:57 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.