Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Switching to FFM from nasal pillows, for effectiveness
Switching to FFM from nasal pillows, for effectiveness
Last week I came down with a nasty head cold (seems everyone I know is getting it), and this was the first time I had experienced a cold since going on CPAP at the beginning of the year. I've been using nasal pillows since Day 1 and adapted well to them. The only time I used a FFM was at my titration. I considered myself fortunate that I was able to start with the least intrusive mask. But because of the head cold, I asked my DME for a FFM (Resmed Quattro Air).

However, after using the FFM, (and adapting pretty well to it in fact), I find that I am sleeping BETTER with the FFM. I was actually pretty surprised. I thought that, if leakage issues were the same with either mask, that the effect would be the same, but I feel that the FFM is actually more effective. Fortunately my leak rate with both masks has averaged 100%.

Is it unreasonable to think that perhaps I'm getting more air flow with the FFM than the nasal pillow even if leakage is practically nil for the same type of mask?

For now I'm sticking with my FFM even after I recover from this cold.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Switching to FFM from nasal pillows, for effectiveness
novatom,
Glad that is working for you. I tried a full face mask once, didn't last too long, about 3 hours.

Just curious though, did you feel that you had to up your pressure at all using the full face mask?

I heard others say that more pressure is needed with full face compared to nasal pillow.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-05-2015, 09:20 AM)OpalRose Wrote: novatom,
Glad that is working for you. I tried a full face mask once, didn't last too long, about 3 hours.

Just curious though, did you feel that you had to up your pressure at all using the full face mask?

I heard others say that more pressure is needed with full face compared to nasal pillow.

Hi Opal. I'm only in the first week of using the FFM and the first night my AHI was below 1 which is rare for me. The next couple nights it was up a bit but remained below 5. Generally I have found that my AHI has remained about the same, if a little lower than when I used the nasal pillow. Still may be a bit too early to tell. Pressure has not changed, still at 6, the same as I started with back in January. I'm not sure if my doctor even knows that I changed masks. All I had to do was ask my DME and they provided it gratis the same day I requested it (covered by my insurance).
Post Reply Post Reply
NovaTom,

Welcome to the anti-cult. Big Grin Big Grin

It is good that your change is working out well for you regardless of the direction of the change. Did you change the mask settings on your machine ( I do not remember what P-R calls that setting)? Do you use the exhalation relief? If so, have you noticed any difference in the transitions from EPAP to IPAP or the reverse?

Chances are that you are getting more air flow with the FFM, since the vent is probably larger. I switched from a nasal mask with a smaller vent to a FFM with a larger vent and I like the feeling of more air flow better.

Glad that you found something that helps you to sleep better regardless of what it is.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-05-2015, 11:52 AM)PaytonA Wrote: NovaTom,

Welcome to the anti-cult. Big Grin Big Grin

It is good that your change is working out well for you regardless of the direction of the change. Did you change the mask settings on your machine ( I do not remember what P-R calls that setting)? Do you use the exhalation relief? If so, have you noticed any difference in the transitions from EPAP to IPAP or the reverse?

Chances are that you are getting more air flow with the FFM, since the vent is probably larger. I switched from a nasal mask with a smaller vent to a FFM with a larger vent and I like the feeling of more air flow better.

Glad that you found something that helps you to sleep better regardless of what it is.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Thanks. I've seen references to "mask settings" on other boards but I have not investigated that yet. I will tonight. My DME (the same person that gave me my machine in the first place) never mentioned anything about mask settings when he gave me the FFM. I don't know much about exhalation relief, is that a setting on the PR One as well?

Post Reply Post Reply
I believe that exhalation relief for the P-R machines is called Aflex or something like that.

As far as the mask type settings for P-R machines, I think that it is called "resistance" or maybe "mask resistance" or something on that order. Maybe one of our P-R machine users can make this more specific.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
On the PR machines, it's called System One Resistance with a setting of 0 through 5. The mask packaging should have a resistance control number on it.

The exhalation relief is called C FLEX if using straight CPAP or A FLEX if on auto, with settings of 1 through 3, with 3 being the most relief.

I believe C Flex works most the same as EPR on ResMed machines.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Switching to automatic raised AHI numbers Leitrim 4 117 03-26-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Leitrim
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,763 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Switching from Dreamstation 1 to AirSense II autoset jed3 2 167 03-21-2024, 07:39 AM
Last Post: jed3
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 317 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 389 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 396 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
Question Snoring worse with FFM vs pillows PaulaO2 12 933 01-28-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.