First sleep study: Scored a 34 on the AHI. Still can't get any CPAP equipment.
greatunclebill Offline

Members-b

Machine: Respironics System one Auto A-Flex
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model:
Humidifier: System one
CPAP Pressure: 8-12
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreViewer

Other Comments: quattro fx full face

Sex: Male

RE: First sleep study: Scored a 34 on the AHI. Still can't get any CPAP equipment.
(03-20-2012 03:45 AM)tiltrite Wrote:  Sleep doctor came through with a prescription for Ambien for the night of my test. He prescribed four 5mg tablets. Reading up that 10mg is the standard dose, so I might just take that. Looking forward to this Thursday night's sleep test so I can finally get this process underway.

i'm jealous. i only got 3 ambien. good luck and most of all enjoy the legal high. the first time around my sleep was so fragmented he had to guess and gave me a 9. years later with the ambien i slept all night and got a 12 with good data. the answer to the next question is both my sleep doc and my pulmonologist are triple board certified and said the ambien does not skew the results. some people think it does but they are not my doctors.
03-20-2012 03:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Netskier Offline

Members

Machine: Resmed S9 Autoset, Mirage Quattro Full-Face Mask, Slimline tube.
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model:
Humidifier: H5i, but not being used.
CPAP Pressure: 6-13 cm H20; Ramp OFF.
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Currently studying Reversal of Aging.

Sex: Male
Location: Los Angeles South Bay, about 20 min South of Downtown LA.

RE: First sleep study: Scored a 34 on the AHI. Still can't get any CPAP equipment.
(03-20-2012 03:45 AM)tiltrite Wrote:  Sleep doctor came through with a prescription for Ambien for the night of my test. He prescribed four 5mg tablets. Reading up that 10mg is the standard dose, so I might just take that. Looking forward to this Thursday night's sleep test so I can finally get this process underway.

Ambient is purported to not reduce REM sleep but there are reports that it does, and the worst obstructive apnea occurs during REM. I found a really good article that I recommend to you at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/body/walker-sleep.html and note particularly that it says "Numerous sleep studies of the effects of Ambien have been conducted. Common findings include an increase in deeper stages of non-REM sleep, and there may also be a decrease in REM sleep." This suggests to me that Ambien reduces REM in at least some people, so it might lead to an under measurement of your true obstructive apnea.

If I were taking the test, I would first go with Zonk's cherry juice and bananas (cf. his two post on 2012-03-15), plus my 1-3 melatonin pills, and hold the Ambien in reserve, using it if necessary to sleep, because you really do want to sleep the entire night, particularly the latter part of the night because that is where most of the REM occurs, so that you get good data regarding obstructive apnea.

Have a great sleep study.

My age is none of my mind's business. --- Netskier
03-20-2012 04:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Sleep latency -study results Dagmar 1 105 12-06-2016 10:04 PM
Last Post: chill
  [Diagnosis] Waiting for sleep study results...got Pulse Ox in the meanwhile jds2001 10 338 12-01-2016 03:13 AM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
  sending sleep study to another doctor's office sleepytimegal 3 247 11-30-2016 10:26 PM
Last Post: Mosquitobait
  [News] ASAA received large supply of donated equipment big_dave 0 117 11-28-2016 11:34 PM
Last Post: big_dave
  Accuracy of Resmed AS10 vs Sleep Study Type IMSleeplessInSeattle 5 461 11-28-2016 12:11 AM
Last Post: sleepytimegal
  Sleep Study: Nasal vs. Full Mask harmon k 2 339 11-20-2016 06:38 PM
Last Post: harmon k
  When is it time to get another sleep study done. duece12345 7 377 11-19-2016 11:51 PM
Last Post: Sleepster