Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First sleep study: Scored a 34 on the AHI. Still can't get any CPAP equipment.
First sleep study: Scored a 34 on the AHI. Still can't get any CPAP equipment.
I'm glad for this forum and ones like it as I'm trying to educate myself as much as possible about my new 'condition.'
I got a call from the tech from my first sleep study. I scored a 34 on the AHI, which he said was "high-moderate."
Unfortunately I only slept for about an hour and couldn't fall asleep again, so I didn't get to do the CPAP titration portion of the study. Therefore no CPAP equipment has been prescribed to me as of now, and I'm trying to make do on my own.
Fortunately I'm going in for another study, where they're going to try to do the CPAP titration.
This whole process of doctor/insurance approval/study/doctor/repeat has been quite draining, not to mention the exhaustion of the apnea itself, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Looking forward to getting this solved!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: First sleep study: Scored a 34 on the AHI. Still can't get any CPAP equipment.
(03-19-2012, 02:01 PM)tiltrite Wrote: I'm glad for this forum and ones like it as I'm trying to educate myself as much as possible about my new 'condition.'
I got a call from the tech from my first sleep study. I scored a 34 on the AHI, which he said was "high-moderate."
Unfortunately I only slept for about an hour and couldn't fall asleep again, so I didn't get to do the CPAP titration portion of the study. Therefore no CPAP equipment has been prescribed to me as of now, and I'm trying to make do on my own.
Fortunately I'm going in for another study, where they're going to try to do the CPAP titration.
This whole process of doctor/insurance approval/study/doctor/repeat has been quite draining, not to mention the exhaustion of the apnea itself, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Looking forward to getting this solved!

welcome to the forum.

you need to get the sleep doctor to prescribe a sleeping pill so you can sleep during the study. normally the doctor calls in the order and the sleep tech gives you the pill when you get settled in ready to sleep. it's the only way it worked for me.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: First sleep study: Scored a 34 on the AHI. Still can't get any CPAP equipment.
Same here, the pill was the only way they got me to go to sleep before the wee hours of the morning! Sleep-well
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
Great idea. My GP wouldn't prescribe me anything, stating that it would be dangerous for me to be prescribed sleep medication while I have sleep apnea. Seemed very odd and like a catch 22- more like a Cover Your A** move on his part than anything else. I have a call into my sleep doctor, (he's actually an Ear Nose Throat Dr.) whose staff seemed much more amenable to the idea of giving me a sleeping pill before my next sleep study. We'll see how it goes.

Being hooked up to about 40 sensors with the added pressure of "having to sleep" and also having the apnea just made it impossible to sleep during my sleep study. Ironic to have insomnia during a sleep study. I suppose a good pill will surely help.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am a night owl so with both my tests, I didn't have to show up until 11:30. By the time they got me hooked up and the light out, it was after 1am, my usual sleep time. It really helped. The only problem was we had to be very quiet due to everyone else being asleep. The walls were very thin, they said.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-19-2012, 03:51 PM)tiltrite Wrote: Great idea. My GP wouldn't prescribe me anything, stating that it would be dangerous for me to be prescribed sleep medication while I have sleep apnea. Seemed very odd and like a catch 22- more like a Cover Your A** move on his part than anything else. I have a call into my sleep doctor, (he's actually an Ear Nose Throat Dr.) whose staff seemed much more amenable to the idea of giving me a sleeping pill before my next sleep study. We'll see how it goes.

Being hooked up to about 40 sensors with the added pressure of "having to sleep" and also having the apnea just made it impossible to sleep during my sleep study. Ironic to have insomnia during a sleep study. I suppose a good pill will surely help.

a sleeping pill is ok during testing because you are under direct supervision of a tech and usually in some kind of medical facility where emergency services and/or equipment are available. people may differ on this but sleeping pills and apnea are extremely dangerous together especially when not under direct supervision. my doc said he will not prescribe them for home use in an apnea patient, but will only do it during a study. our studies are in a major medical facility down at the end of a quiet wing.

virtually everybody has trouble sleeping during a sleep study. you are no different than anyone else.

First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
Paula02: Sounds like you're a considerate person that you were conscious of trying to be quiet. I wish you had been my neighbor during my last test. During my last test I could hear the guy in the next room yakking away on his phone until bedtime, which was 11pm. After 11, his yakking turned to loud snoring. He finally settled down but I still couldn't get to sleep. If I owned a sleep clinic I hope that I'd try to put some effort into soundproofing the rooms. Seems like they just lease regular old office space and leave it at that. Right now I'm just glad that I have insurance and that they ok'd a 2nd study.

Uncle: I see the point about not prescribing for home use. I'm just learning about this condition, but that seems to be logical. Hopefully it will work out for me that I can get a prescription for just the night of the test, when there is monitoring and a qualified tech there to make sure all is aok.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-19-2012, 04:10 PM)tiltrite Wrote: Paula02: Sounds like you're a considerate person that you were conscious of trying to be quiet. I wish you had been my neighbor during my last test. During my last test I could hear the guy in the next room yakking away on his phone until bedtime, which was 11pm. After 11, his yakking turned to loud snoring. He finally settled down but I still couldn't get to sleep. If I owned a sleep clinic I hope that I'd try to put some effort into soundproofing the rooms. Seems like they just lease regular old office space and leave it at that. Right now I'm just glad that I have insurance and that they ok'd a 2nd study.

Uncle: I see the point about not prescribing for home use. I'm just learning about this condition, but that seems to be logical. Hopefully it will work out for me that I can get a prescription for just the night of the test, when there is monitoring and a qualified tech there to make sure all is aok.

Sleeping pills are depressants of the Central Nervous System. Monitoring could protect you if the monitors don't fall asleep.

I prefer non-pharmacological, more natural sleeping aids, such as Melatonin or Tryptophan (found in bananas). Warm milk before bed is a traditional home remedy for insomnia. Two or three bananas plus warm milk might do it, and you could test this at home. Melatonin is available at Costco and many food supplement stores. I almost never have sleep-onset insomnia, but I take melatonin if I want to go to sleep earlier than normal, and it works well for this. I take 1-3 pills depending on how much of a hurry I am in getting to sleep. I weigh 208 pounds. Tryptophan is also available from food supplement stores.

My age is none of my mind's business. --- Netskier
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks all for the information. I'm still quite new to treating this condition, and want to proceed in a smart, measured fashion. I'm 5'10'' and 225 lbs. I put on about 40 lbs. in the last couple of years, and have noticed the apnea symptoms since then. Hopefully weight loss will help, but in the mean time, I need to breathe and sleep. At this point I actually dread bed time, as I know that the choking and gasping is about to start.

My last tech seemed to be on the ball. I don't think she fell asleep. Maybe I will bring her an espresso next time.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-19-2012, 04:46 PM)Netskier Wrote: I prefer non-pharmacological, more natural sleeping aids, such as Melatonin or Tryptophan (found in bananas). Warm milk before bed is a traditional home remedy for insomnia. Two or three bananas plus warm milk might do it, and you could test this at home.
Me too prefer banana Banana smoothie with a double shot of rum.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...te-saviour

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 227 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 76 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 531 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 6 186 03-23-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Needing help fixing my sleep with cpap nunogarcia 2 158 03-22-2024, 09:04 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 118 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.