Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First three weeks
First three weeks
Hi folks.  I'm trying to get used to this machine as it's been difficult.

I'm finding that I'm getting claustrophobic.  I need to settle down to a low breathing rate for this to work off the start.  As if it's not delivering enough flowrate.  

Is this common?  

How can I fix this?

I'm not liking this experience so far.  I've gone just short of 4 hours max.  

Any pointers on how to make this thing tolerable?  I've ripped it off a couple of times.  And it blows a lot of air and I have to fully take up to turn the stupid thing off.

Any insight and advice fully appreciated.

Cheers
----
daBee in Toronto
Unit: MesRed AirSense 10 Nasal pillow | min 7 cm no ramp
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: First three weeks
min of 5 cmw may be too low for you. try raising it a cmw at a time. if you experience runaway pressure at the upper end, reduce your max pressure one cmw at a time. post your oscar charts for others to comment on.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds like a plan.
----
daBee in Toronto
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-10-2019, 06:58 PM)daBee Wrote: Hi folks.  I'm trying to get used to this machine as it's been difficult.

I'm finding that I'm getting claustrophobic.  I need to settle down to a low breathing rate for this to work off the start.  As if it's not delivering enough flowrate.  

Is this common?  How can I fix this?

I'm not liking this experience so far.  I've gone just short of 4 hours max.  

Any pointers on how to make this thing tolerable?  I've ripped it off a couple of times.  And it blows a lot of air and I have to fully take up to turn the stupid thing off.

Any insight and advice fully appreciated.

Cheers

Hi Welcome!

This link might of some use  Mask Primer

If you search there will be many threads that start with the few statements below and quickly start moving toward success.  

Download and install OSCAR   Daily pull the SD Card from your machine and load the nights results into OSCAR so you can see what is really going on.  

Organize and attach your charts to posts in this thread and the group will help you work it all through.  
  Organize Charts 

Attaching Charts 

Soon in the conversation we often encourage people to try a collar or neck rest but we should see your charts first  Soft Cervical Collar

WillSleep

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum.

Is this common? Very common.

Set your min pressure to 6 and EPR =2 full time.

Make sure you have an SD Card in your machine and download OSCAR so we can help you further.  See the organization link in my signature for what charts to include.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK, my laptop is tiny, so two screenshots:

----
daBee in Toronto
Post Reply Post Reply
set your min pressure to 6, there is no need to change the EPR.
To get used to the CPAP try using it while doing something you like, watch TV, Read a book, play games on your phone.

Your AHI here is zero which is extremely unusual, Why are you on CPAP? Can you post copies of your sleep tests.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't have a copy of my tests.  Control by Ontario healthcare.  Yay.  

Anyway I'm often 0.0.  I've sat here using this thing, but sleeping is awkward.  My tests show >90 episodes per hour.  With the machine, I'm good.  But claustrophobic at the beginning and a severe PITA.
----
daBee in Toronto
Post Reply Post Reply
Why claustrophobic? Are you currently claustrophobic? Have you tried P10 pillow mask? It is good to know we are only working on your comfort.
Post Reply Post Reply
It looks as though you have a long ramp with a pressure of 4. For many people, a pressure that low makes it hard to breathe. Either raise the ramp pressure to 6 or turn the ramp off. Let us know if you notice a difference.

Also, you might try setting the machine up during the day so you can read or watch TV while using it. This can help your body adapt to the feel of the mask and the pressure.

Most importantly, your reactions are pretty normal, and with a little patience and some adjustments, your therapy truly will get better.

Keep us posted!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 131 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question Oscar Help - Analysis after 3 Weeks, Improvements! ef8mk 7 319 03-24-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: ef8mk
  Trialing a Dreamstation (2?) for 4 weeks NeedSleepPlease 46 1,488 03-12-2024, 05:05 PM
Last Post: NeedSleepPlease
  2 weeks in. Mask leak and flow limit Jojo1982 11 672 02-22-2024, 01:51 PM
Last Post: Jojo1982
  [Pressure] I just started apap therapy 3 weeks ago and I feel worse.Should I change settings? AndreiChivu 1 323 02-03-2024, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] 5-6 Weeks into CPAP Therapy, Sleep Getting Worse of Late SleepyLP 17 911 01-16-2024, 06:32 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  3 Weeks in the World of APAP MaskedOne 2 311 01-16-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: MaskedOne

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.