Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

2nd night and feel like this is miraculous!
RE: 2nd night and feel like this is miraculous!
doctorlady99 good for you!

I suffered night terrors also. And I was tested for narcolepsy in my early twenties. As a skinny but fit youngster I guess the idea of sleep apnea was on no ones radar but looking back it seems very possible this has haunted me for at least 40 years or more.

I am happy you are aware of this now and doing better.

As RG said the euphoria will wane and do be sure not to try to do too much with your new found energy. That seems to have bitten me hard Rolleyes
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-15-2015, 06:14 AM)doctorlady99 Wrote: I feel like crying, as I have not felt this way for many, many years. I had no idea the apnea was afecting me so much!
My apnea is mild- 13.2, and I am only 37. I thought that I was "too young" to have sleep apnea, but my doctors now think I have probably had if my entire life. My whole life, I have experienced

It's both funny and sad the way medicine has reduced this to numbers and labled them as "mild" moderate" and "severe" since there's pretty much no level of "not breathing" that's good to have.

Just imagine if someone came in to your room while you were sleeping, and tried to smother you 13 times/hour. It certainly doesn't seem mild.

Congratulations on feeling better!

Post Reply Post Reply
I guess I'm an odd case. I never experienced night terrors until the past few years. I never even knew what they were. The first one was truly frightening and followed the textbook description. I now get them once or twice per year, and even though I know what's going on, I still get spooked because I can't move to defend myself against the demons that seem so real. One was actually a "night pleasure" that I hoped was real, but no such luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
Have never had night terrors. Glad of that.

Only upon my own dreaming and recall, very few nightmares and all seemed to be in same sleep architecture with 'good' dreams. During my 6 months of therapy, for only 4 cases in almost 800 dreams was my sleep during dreaming odd looking (like I might not have been in REM). None of these 4 occurrences were nightmares.

REM (for me) shows itself with shorter, faster respirations with a 15% decrease in TV, but mostly maintained minute ventilation.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
I can absolutely relate to your results. When I started treatment, I felt wonderful. I spent years of waking up tired, being tired all the time - even worried about falling asleep driving. I always thought it was just the way I was. When I started to gain weight and was diagnosed with pre-type2 diabetes, I asked my doctor about it. After a sleep study, I had a crazy AHI in the 70s. I am 10 years older than you, but life has been just a fight. I am so happy there are forums like this!

I get zero support from my wife as the machine is really only an annoyance to her.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-19-2015, 06:59 PM)bronty Wrote: I get zero support from my wife as the machine is really only an annoyance to her.

So she wants you dead?

I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
Great story for the first couple of days use. I sure wish I'd been introduced to CPAP therapy 20 years ago when I was 37. The thing I didn't understand was the linkage between obstructive apnea and atrial fibrillation. My father developed Alzheimer's symptoms from decades of afib causing mini-strokes. My physician detected afib last summer and a cardiologist immediately sent me off to a sleep center. I've known I had sleep apnea problems for many years but nobody had ever explained the health risks beyond feeling tired.

I'll echo loading up the software to monitor how you adjust to the machine and make tweaks as necessary. I pulled down ResScan from this web site on day #1 and never felt the need to use the open source SleepyHead software. The nurse practitioner at my sleep center let me take charge of things. I consulted her when I wanted to tweak something and got the Rx changed so my DME was kept in the loop. Since this is a life-long process, I changed things very slowly and gathered weeks of data. At this point, I just use the DME for spare bits & pieces and won't talk to the sleep center until my insurance company thinks I need to.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-19-2015, 09:46 PM)Mark Douglas Wrote:
(05-19-2015, 06:59 PM)bronty Wrote: I get zero support from my wife as the machine is really only an annoyance to her.

So she wants you dead?

I think I have too much life insurance.

I think so few people understand how important treatment for sleep apnea is. Most people, my PCP included, really don't know a lot about it. That is likely why so many people are not diagnosed!

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 3 178 10 hours ago
Last Post: Abhi
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 85 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 827 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 324 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,013 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] First PAP usage (BiPAP) for treating UARS + Maybe OSA - Feel like hyperventilating? OneShleepyBoi 21 895 03-02-2024, 06:35 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [CPAP] Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE TiredDude 4 807 02-15-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: TiredDude

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.