Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First time here!
First time here!
Hey everyone, 

It's good to be here and be apart of a forum where we all have one goal, to achieve better sleep and quality of life,and of course sharing your experiences, updates and assisting others. 

I'm located in Melbourne, Australia 

I've always been told that I snore pretty loud, but also that there's periods in my sleep where my breathing stops. So recently I decided to take the plunge when I came across the idea of at home sleep test. I'm hoping that once the ball gets rolling I will yawn less during the day and feel less clouded. I don't fall asleep during the day unless I do so on purpose,and if I'm on the train with the motion. I've heard great things about the way people feel after getting accustomed to their machine and I'm looking forward to it.

I recently completed an at home sleep test for a night using the Philips Night One sleep study device about three weeks or so ago, and I recently received my results back in the past few days from the sleep doctors analysis. 

My first question is, 
a) As part of the results, it advises me to let my doctor know, is this necessary or can I just go ahead and buy a device? I would most likely look at obtaining a Automatic CPAP (APAP) device. 

Also because I work Monday to Friday and my gp does also, so in order to see them I will have to find time off (which isn't really an issue, but if I can just go ahead and get a machine, it's somewhat easier) I do understand they can assist with the right settings based on your needs, but that's also what I've been told this forum can help with. 

b) What brand do you guys recommend? I was looking at BMD Luna 3 initially but I think a reputable brand such as Resmed Autosense 10 would be better? Here you can get one for about $1400 AUD and also pay in instalments interest free. 

I have attached my results to this post. If I have any further questions I'll answer where needed

Thank you

Second part of results attached also

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: First time here!
In the US we must have a prescription from a doctor to get a CPAP machine.

ResMed has a good reputation for making good machines, but lately it seems they are suffering from supply chain issues.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Resmed originated in AU vs BMC which is Chinese. The Resmed Airsense 10 or 11 Autoset provides full detailed data and will facilitate getting help on this forum to optimize your therapy. BMC uses a proprietary software and is not currently supported by Oscar which can be a source of frustration with users. Your choice of an auto-titrating CPAP will be pivotal in your success and I urge you to get the Resmed and accept the higher cost as a good investment. Many Australian users source a machine in the U.S. because they are much less expensive, even with shipping. Supplier #2 is a good source for importing a new or lightly-used machine. Hiring a machine from a supplier in AU can give you a head-start on therapy and let you see what to expect when you get your own machine.

Your study suggests very severe apnea that is mainly obstructive with some central and mixed apnea. Good data will be important for you to optimize therapy as you may need to balance therapy for obstructive apnea with avoiding central events. Our wiki on optimizing therapy discusses some of the issues new users encounter and some solutions. Reading this may help you troubleshoot issues if they arise when you start therapy. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ng_therapy
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi jnathanc  Supplier 28 has the AirSense 10 Autoset in stock now for US $780.  Don't know if they would require a prescription for an international shipment.  It was on sale for even less over Thanksgiving weekend.  Might be worth it for you to ship, or maybe Australian suppliers will also have after holiday sales?

Personally, my contacts with sleep doctors, respiratory therapists, and sleep techs have been valuable.  Number one, I had a chance to try on different masks in my pulmonologist's office and started out with specific masks and sizes that have worked well for me.  (That depends on the resources available in your area, of course.) 

Having someone show me how to set up the machine and go over cleaning, etc. was also helpful initially.  Discussions with my sleep doctor and with a registered polysomnographic technician have been key.  

I researched to find people who were more qualified than average.  Their time is always limited, so I've supplemented that with what's on this forum and YouTube.

If you were in a remote area, you might not have such options, but there must be great professionals in Melbourne.  If feel like it's worth getting what you can out of the medical system initially.  Good luck on your journey!
Post Reply Post Reply
well bmc g3 is a good machine, resmed airsense 10 is a better machine, go for resmed airsense 10 if money is not a problem, but dont go for airsence 11 it sux
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-03-2022, 10:26 AM)Lucid Wrote: Hi jnathanc  Supplier 28 has the AirSense 10 Autoset in stock now for US $780.  Don't know if they would require a prescription for an international shipment.  It was on sale for even less over Thanksgiving weekend.  Might be worth it for you to ship, or maybe Australian suppliers will also have after holiday sales?

Personally, my contacts with sleep doctors, respiratory therapists, and sleep techs have been valuable.  Number one, I had a chance to try on different masks in my pulmonologist's office and started out with specific masks and sizes that have worked well for me.  (That depends on the resources available in your area, of course.) 

Having someone show me how to set up the machine and go over cleaning, etc. was also helpful initially.  Discussions with my sleep doctor and with a registered polysomnographic technician have been key.  

I researched to find people who were more qualified than average.  Their time is always limited, so I've supplemented that with what's on this forum and YouTube.

If you were in a remote area, you might not have such options, but there must be great professionals in Melbourne.  If feel like it's worth getting what you can out of the medical system initially.  Good luck on your journey!

Thank you for your response. I figured out that after conversion, I can get a local machine for the same price as what you've mentioned, circa $1170. 

I think it would only be worth it getting it shipped internationally is if there was a massive sale that wins over the Aussie price. 

I have found on Facebook marketplace a lady that is selling the Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset for $650 and 6 month warranty - is there such things as fakes for these machines and what do you think?

So basically with your contacts and etc, you also recommend me to see my gp first with my results? Rather than just getting the machine first based on my sleep study? 
I have also found my insurance should cover my cpap machine only, but will need to check.

I'm also I believe a nose snorer, so will a nasal mask or nasal pillow be best? I might see if I can find a clinic that I can visit to try for sizing. 

There are great resources around especially because I'm in the metropolitan area, it's just being able to make time to see them with work and all.

(12-03-2022, 10:40 AM)Psychotech Wrote: well bmc g3 is a good machine, resmed airsense 10 is a better machine, go for resmed airsense 10 if money is not a problem, but dont go for airsence 11 it sux

Thank you, I was thinking the same, not that a Chinese built machine is bad, but just overall quality and maybe cx service

(12-03-2022, 09:12 AM)Sleepster Wrote: In the US we must have a prescription from a doctor to get a CPAP machine.

ResMed has a good reputation for making good machines, but lately it seems they are suffering from supply chain issues.

In Australia, a prescription isn't needed. 

I have heard that they've had recalls recently but I'm not sure as to the reason
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-03-2022, 10:04 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Resmed originated in AU vs BMC which is Chinese. The Resmed Airsense 10 or 11 Autoset provides full detailed data and will facilitate getting help on this forum to optimize your therapy. BMC uses a proprietary software and is not currently supported by Oscar which can be a source of frustration with users.  Your choice of an auto-titrating CPAP will be pivotal in your success and I urge you to get the Resmed and accept the higher cost as a good investment.  Many Australian users source a machine in the U.S. because they are much less expensive, even with shipping. Supplier 2 is a good source for importing a new or lightly-used machine.   Hiring a machine from a supplier in AU can give you a head-start on therapy and let you see what to expect when you get your own machine.

Your study suggests very severe apnea that is mainly obstructive with some central and mixed apnea. Good data will be important for you to optimize therapy as you may need to balance therapy for obstructive apnea with avoiding central events.  Our wiki on optimizing therapy discusses some of the issues new users encounter and some solutions. Reading this may help you troubleshoot issues if they arise when you start therapy.  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ng_therapy
 Thanks for your response. 

I will most likely choose the ResMed Airsense Auto set model. 

Could I just use the device in Auto mode and not have to therefore visit my doctor first with my sleep study results? I will visit them first if I have to, but just would be convenient if I could just get the device.

I need to buy an APAP model, so is the ResMed Airsense Autoset an APAP? 

I will be looking to do a trial of the machine for a month that's offered her at $100 first before diving in aswell. 

Amazing, I'll take a look at the forum and be back once I get my machine with any questions anyway. Thank you
Post Reply Post Reply
Autoset is APAP, and can also be operated as CPAP if that turns out to work better at some point.  Of course, read the fine print carefully before you order to be sure of what you're getting.

Yes, with Autoset, you can start with a wider range of pressure and the data from the machine will help you narrow it down, based on the data you can get out of it.

Be certain you can insert an SD card into the machine you get.

I'm trying to remember where I've seen information about buying alternatives.  Buying from an established dealer is safest; Facebook would be one of the less safe options.  Not so much that the machine would be counterfeit, but its condition and hours of use might not be what you'd been led to believe, and then what do you do.
Post Reply Post Reply
I found the section of the Wiki I was thinking of earlier -- it outlines all the steps for getting a CPAP with considerations to keep in mind when purchasing.  So much great information available on this website!

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ing_a_CPAP
Post Reply Post Reply
I appreciate your responses, Lucid. 

Alright, I will make sure it has an SD card slot. I have seen models with 3G/4G capability, is this for connection between the unit and the respective phone application?

I will most certainly make my purchase eventually from an authorized store, too risky to fork out half the money just because its, half the money. Just thought I would grab an opinion.

If you use a machine yourself, what do you have?

Thanks again
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newbie Q on using OSCAR for first time Tman1966 0 15 1 hour ago
Last Post: Tman1966
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 5 209 Yesterday, 06:51 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,435 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  TIME FOR SLEEPRIDER'S annual DST WARNING srlevine1 19 619 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  First time looking at graphs interpretation help smallhandsfeeding 1 244 03-11-2024, 08:12 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  Taking mask off at the same time everynight sleepyman95 2 173 03-08-2024, 12:25 AM
Last Post: sleepyman95
  Having a terrible time--please help with OSCAR Montacute 25 808 03-06-2024, 10:27 AM
Last Post: sarahsleeps

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.