Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First time, needing advice
RE: First time, needing advice
Is it cheating to look at the tick marks that OSCAR puts above the events? Follow them up to the Events chart...
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes I peeked...but what I'm really asking is how can you tell the difference between a OA and a CA from the flow rate chart - the plotted line itself, not the labels?

It is intuitive to me that an obstructive apnea, by definition, would cause an increase in pressure, and a clear airway apnea would not.
Post Reply Post Reply
It depends on the cause of the centrals. The most common centrals are, simple explanation, CO2 induced And are caused by the flushing out of too much CO2 from your system. This happens gradually resulting in the typical waxing waning pattern with a CA events at the nadir or low point of the pattern. Note the very slow restart to the breathing. OA events often have a recovery breath, a large breath following. Also learn that awake breathing is very irregular. Start there then ask us about a specific case as you need. Also realize that single events are mostly insignificant, it is when they occur frequently that the become an issue. In other words don't chase zero events.
Post Reply Post Reply
I realize I dropped a bombshell in my last post, that your needs are for ASV, and I did not offer sufficient explanation for that conclusion.  You stated your sleep test result was "severe central apnea".  Your charts show you have extended episodes of central apnea that result in an AHI from 12 to 24 events per hour in what we have seen so far.  When I said your flow charts are filled with central apnea artifacts, I meant that you fluctuate between hyperventilation and hypoventilation over long periods of time, with and without central apnea in the hypoventilation phase. Your chart showing tidal volume shows a classic central apnea / apneic threshold characteristic of periodic breathing or regularly spaced hypo/hyper ventilation.  Just look at the flow rate graph here and it hits you in the face. Also you posted the fluctuating tidal volume chart.

CPAP and bilevel therapy without a respiratory backup rate cannot treat these problems. Our wiki article on ASV may help you to understand how this device works.  It look like any other CPAP, but it works to maintain an even minute vent rate and respiration rate by using adaptive pressure support. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...tion_(ASV)   I do not anticipate that you will ever achieve efficacious treatment with CPAP. If you doctor is clueless on how to treat central apnea, then you need to go to one that is aware of the condition and how to treat it.  Your diagnosis and results all point to a central apnea problem, not obstructive sleep apnea.  You are not being helped currently.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=46394]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=46372]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 161 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 14 248 Yesterday, 12:33 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 5 200 Yesterday, 06:51 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 848 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,416 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,775 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  Needing help fixing my sleep with cpap nunogarcia 2 154 03-22-2024, 09:04 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.