Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First time posting, asking for advice
First time posting, asking for advice
Hi everyone,

I've been using my CPAP consistently for a couple of months now after a rocky start of a few weeks.
To be honest it's a hit or miss, one night i'll have a low AHI and the next day with same settings it'll be a lot higher.
I thought i had found the right combo of settings/sizing  with my FF dreamwear (attached 2-1 and 2-2) 
It's been 2 nights with this size (medium) excellent leakage rate, first night super low AHI but second is over 2.
I'll keep monitoring using this mask but wanted to post now since something is consistent, and that is Central AHI. 
It makes the bulk of it don't matter which mask, i'm wondering why it would be so much higher from one day to the next using same mask, pretty much same settings etc.

Any feedback is appreciated 

Note: the attached file for Jan14 i'm using the p10 pillows.  Attached for comparison

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: First time posting, asking for advice
Same sleeping position? Back vs right side vs left side?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: First time posting, asking for advice
Welcome!

Your leak rate with the P10 is perfectly fine UNLESS the leaks wake you up.  Your machine can compensate for leaks up to, and probably beyond, 24 l/m.  The very short large-leak interval is insignificant.  But again, if the leaks wake you up, stick with the FFM.  Otherwise, feel free to use the P10 if that is more comfortable for you.

CAs are, as people here say, consistently inconsistent.  It is normal to have a scattering of CAs during the night, and it is normal to see variation in the CA index from one night to the next.

Sometimes CAs happen during or after an arousal.  You can tell if that's what is going on by zooming in on the flow rate.  In cases like that, it's the arousal, rather than the CA itself, that may be problematic.  See attachments.

If you're interested: CAs often happen when you've been breathing more deeply than usual, as in a period of arousal from sleep.  The deeper breathing washes out a bit of CO2 from your bloodstream, which in turn slows  your "breathe now" neurochemical respiratory response.  The result is a pause between breaths, and if the pause is 10 seconds long or more, it will earn a CA flag.

I've attached two examples of CAs that came after an arousal.  The arousal breathing is irregular by comparison with the sleep respiration that comes before it.  In these two examples, the arousals were pretty innocuous; you can see nice sleep breathing resuming shortly after the CAs.  I find that if I have a longer wake-up after an arousal (with or without a CA), the amplitude of the flow rate graph will be smaller than it is when I'm sleeping.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 164 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 14 250 Yesterday, 12:33 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 5 202 Yesterday, 06:51 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 853 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,416 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,783 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 143 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.