Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First time seeing my stats with Oscar
First time seeing my stats with Oscar
SO I've been on cpap/apap for at least 15 years and it truly saved my live. But I have recently dedicated myself to a healthier lifestyle and have lost 50 pounds in the last 7 months, and greatly improved many other metrics like my Trig. BP and BG. I'm wondering what my Oscar numbers indicate, if anyone would be so kind as to help me out? I'm hoping to one day sleep without a machine, if at all possible. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
Jason
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: First time seeing my stats with Oscar
G'day Jason. Welcome to Apnea Board.

First of all, congratulations on losing so much weight - I really need to follow your example!

Going by your numbers, you seem to have everything well under control. Compliance at 100%, AHI very acceptable, other parameters are all within the expected ranges. So your machine is doing its job and treating your apnea successfully. So the numbers look good - the next question is "how do you feel?" Do you wake up refreshed, no headache? Can you work through the day without nodding off at the desk / wheel?

As for doing without a machine, that is a vexed question. I think the answer is that the machine treats your apnea, but doesn't cure it. On the other hand, the lifestyle changes you've made might be sufficient to improve your natural sleep breathing. The only way to find out for sure is to have a sleep test without the machine and see what turns up. My guess is that you'd still need the machine.

Best wishes
Paul
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi DB. 

Thanks for your view. I do sleep thru the night, and I don't nod off like I used to back in the pre cpap days. I am using a new/older machine that I bought myself with no hours on it for a couple a hundred bucks, but I haven't had a sleep study in 8 years. I'm glad to hear it all looks good, I wonder if I could adjust the settings anywhere.

Thanks again for your respected opinion!
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow, what wonderful improvements you’ve made to your health! And it’s great you are sleeping OK and feeling OK during the day.

I have the suspicion that you could probably fine-tune your settings, but I don’t have the expertise to advise you. Someone else may be along tomorrow to offer some thoughts.

With the data from your machine, can Oscar prepare charts with graphs showing a timeline for the night’s events, flow rate, pressure, leaks, flow limitations, and snores? (Or some of those, anyhow.) If so, that would be useful to post.
Post Reply Post Reply
You are better putting up the chart as outlined in instructions.
Just going on the stats page. I would have min 9 max 15. For now. Flex to what is comfortable
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Looking at the trends on your charts, you have seen decreases in obstructive apnea, slight increase in clear airway events, and your pressures are trending lower as well as leaks. You have maintained the same treatment pressure settings throughout the period which helps evaluate the trends and removes a significant variable. These subtle changes are probably an accurate reflection of your health improvements as a result of lifestyle changes and weight loss. It remains extremely unlikely that you will eliminate the need for CPAP therapy, even if you return to near-normal or even below normal weight. There are more factors involved in sleep apnea than weight, including physiology. You should have much less obstruction as the result of pressure from an enlarged neck or stress from body weight, but the upper airway, and particularly structures in the soft palate and posterior pharyngeal wall does not generally improve with age or weight loss.

Upper airway restriction and obstruction are likely going to be a continuing issue if CPAP airway support is removed or discontinued. You can experiment with lower pressure to verify whether lower pressure increases your event rate, including snoring, flow limitations and RERA. Even though you are unlikely to lose the need for CPAP, many other benefits will continue to accrue as you maintain a healthier weight.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all the replies. I would be happy to post some of the more detailed charts, but I'm not sure which would be most helpful. Is it the daily or the overview, and what time frame? Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
Post a couple of the most recent charts from the daily page.

Be sure to include the following graphs: Events, Flow Rate, Pressure, Leak Rate and Snores.
Include the left side bar stats, minus the calendar and pie chart. This way more information shows.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I take a screen shot of a daily, the file size is too large. 2MB. Any idea how to reduce this? Prob doesn't help I use a 4k monitor. Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
How's this? Thanks again for all the help!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 5 201 Yesterday, 06:51 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,416 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  TIME FOR SLEEPRIDER'S annual DST WARNING srlevine1 19 614 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  First time looking at graphs interpretation help smallhandsfeeding 1 244 03-11-2024, 08:12 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  Taking mask off at the same time everynight sleepyman95 2 171 03-08-2024, 12:25 AM
Last Post: sleepyman95
  Having a terrible time--please help with OSCAR Montacute 25 802 03-06-2024, 10:27 AM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
  Update on Stats After Constant Use of Knightsbridge Chin Strap cmpman1974 6 364 03-01-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.