Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First time set-up Resmed Airsense 10 autoset
First time set-up Resmed Airsense 10 autoset
Hi, following a sleep test it was recommended that I purchase a cpap machine. (440 mins of data, average heart rate 59.5, Average Spo2 92%, lowest Spo2 58%, AHI 36.9 events 10s or longer and Desaturation index 3% )
Owing to tight fiances I purchased a secondhand Resmed Airsense 10 autoset. 
I have spent sometime sanitising the machine and purchased a new humidifier chamber, climate hose,filters and a new P10 mask.
Owing to consultant costs I was wondering it I could just put the machine on Auto and give it a trial?
I got the P10 mask as it was indicated post sleep test consult this would be the likely recommended mask. 
Any help or advise anyone can offer will be much appreciated. 

Kind Regards
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: First time set-up Resmed Airsense 10 autoset
First thing, follow the instructions on this link to obtain the clinician's manual:
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

The Wiki is a good general resource:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...=Wiki_Home

Here's some good information, please read this carefully:
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...re-on-cpap

You *can* just set the machine "wide open" (4-20) and run with it... that's how my sleep doc set mine. I was back within 2 days to have the minimum adjusted up to 6.
Download Sleepyhead and make sure you have a flash card in the machine (or even better, a Toshiba FlashAir card that connects to your wireless network) and review your charts daily to monitor your progress. People on the forum will be more than willing to offer help if you post some of your charts (links in my signature cover how to format them to be the most useful)

The problem with just buying a machine and going with it is not all Apnea cases are the same. For basic, Obstructive Sleep Apnea, APAP is the "gold standard" and nothing works better. There are less common situations called "Complex Apnea" and these include a number of breathing abnormalities. A CPAP/APAP machine can not solve a severe "Central" Apnea situation, which is when your brain simply does not tell you to take a breath, due to any number of reasons.
In these cases, an "ASV" or Active Servo Ventilation machine may be required.
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome

You're off to a great start with machine choice and Rich gave good intro directions. When you get reports posted, members can assist in suggesting probable adjustments for optimizing the therapy settings. Best wishes for near future successes with CPAP.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Ruee,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck with CPAP therapy.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
You should reset the device and its settings to their factory-recommended values and format the SD card before you start. All of the information necessary to accomplish these tasks can be found in the clinician's manual which can be downloaded from this forum -- see the header "CPAP Setup Manuals" on the top of this page.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
Check what pressures the machine get up to during the night and take the lower pressure up to around 80% of the pressure it goes up to, then adjust the pressures after you get some data charts up and get some advice.  At the moment it is up to you what you set the machines high at, I have my one at 20, though it has only ever got to 30.8 so far, and that was just one night.

Good choice of machine.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know that I would go to 80% of max for the low. Maybe 80% of the average, but 80% of what I max on some nights is where I max frequently.
Last night, I ran between a low of 9 (min 8) and max of 13... AHI 0.0
A few nights ago (also 0.0) I ran from 11 to 16.
80% of 16 would be 12.8
Month to month over the last year, my max is typically 16-18, but my average is only 10.1 to 12.2

I'd be more inclined to say 60% of max, but I came into this treatment on the AS10 and have no experience with basic CPAP/BiPAP machines.
-- Rich

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm late to this party, so I'd like to second CB91710's advice on the reading, and slightly modify his setting advice.
I was told to start off with 5-16, and I stayed with that for quite a while. My machine was also set for Auto-ramp, which left the pressure low for quite a while. The EPR was set to full-time at 3. I left all that alone for more than three months, and SleepyHead shows that period as my worst therapy(average AHI was 5.32), except for the one day that EPR was left turned off after a manometer pressure check.

My recommendation would be to set the minimum pressure to 6, and the max to 16 (just so it can't run away from you). The Ramp Start pressure could be left at 4, but the time should be set to 10 or 15 minutes. Even if you are not asleep, that pressure is low enough to be comfortable. You will probably find that setting the EPR to 3 works well. All of these are starting settings while you get used to the machine and the mask. You should leave them alone for two or three weeks before making changes, while you learn to look at all the graphs that SleepyHead will show you. Take some time to look at the Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead in the Wiki. After that, post some charts and see what people recommend and what make sense to you for future changes.

Over time, I gradually raised my minimum, following the median pressure but staying 1 or 2 cmH2O below it. Now I'm at 12 cmH2O with no ramp, but it took a year or more to get there.
Post Reply Post Reply
I couldn't wait for my machine between the study and titration, so bought an S9 autoset machine. On advice from here, I set the lower setting at 6 and the higher setting at 20. Worked GREAT! Once you have a few days of data, you can fine tune.

4-5 are pediatric settings, so most adults really strangle for air at those settings.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-19-2018, 09:11 AM)pholynyk Wrote: I'm late to this party, so I'd like to second CB91710's advice on the reading, and slightly modify his setting advice.
I was told to start off with 5-16, and I stayed with that for quite a while. My machine was also set for Auto-ramp, which left the pressure low for quite a while. The EPR was set to full-time at 3. I left all that alone for more than three months, and SleepyHead shows that period as my worst therapy(average AHI was 5.32), except for the one day that EPR was left turned off after a manometer pressure check.

My recommendation would be to set the minimum pressure to 6, and the max to 16 (just so it can't run away from you). The Ramp Start pressure could be left at 4, but the time should be set to 10 or 15 minutes. Even if you are not asleep, that pressure is low enough to be comfortable. You will probably find that setting the EPR to 3 works well. All of these are starting settings while you get used to the machine and the mask. You should leave them alone for two or three weeks before making changes, while you learn to look at all the graphs that SleepyHead will show you. Take some time to look at the Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead in the Wiki. After that, post some charts and see what people recommend and what make sense to you for future changes.

Over time, I gradually raised my minimum, following the median pressure but staying 1 or 2 cmH2O below it. Now I'm at 12 cmH2O with no ramp, but it took a year or more to get there.
Ya, *personally*, I run 8-18, Ramp Auto, and EPR 2 full time... but I didn't want to encourage too many changes all at once (as well as too high a minimum)
I tried running without EPR, and running it in ramp-only, and had a difficult time with mouth leaks and "blowouts" (blew the P10 out of one nostril)...  very poor sleep, though no serious changes in AHI other than the normal day to day fluctuations.

Actually been doing wonderfully lately, running AHI 0.0 for 17 of the last 29 days, and of the remaining 12 days, only one above 0.3 (it was 1.4), and 3 days at 0.3, 4 days at 0.2, and 4 at 0.1, and I've had two bouts with the flu (or maybe something bacterial) in that month.
I'm uncomfortable with a minimum higher than 8, and running at 6 tends to respond too slowly when I'm first going to sleep and I'll frequently wake myself up with "snorks" (though the machine does not log them).  Lower than 6 and I'm starved for air, waking up in a mild panic.  My start pressure is 7 (so 5-7 with EPR)
-- Rich

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 26 492 3 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 70 25,847 Yesterday, 11:41 AM
Last Post: her.suit
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 5 215 03-27-2024, 06:51 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,453 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 124 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 844 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Switching from Dreamstation 1 to AirSense II autoset jed3 2 169 03-21-2024, 07:39 AM
Last Post: jed3

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.