Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First time to forum, but been fighting sleep apnea for 2.5 years
Question 
First time to forum, but been fighting sleep apnea for 2.5 years
[attachment=841][attachment=841]Hello all,

I am new to the forums and have been doing a lot of reading on my sleep apnea issue. I am using sleepy head to read data. Over the past 2.5 years i have been fighting sleep apnea. I have been on just a c-pap, then a bi-pap, and not a S9 Auto.

I am still waking up feeling tired. I force myself every night to use the machine even though i have not seen relieve. Some times I do wake up and end up taking it off and some times i have force and keep it one. I wore the S9 machine so they could collect some data and see what pressures i should be at, and they had said 9.

But when i look at my data, i never see my mask pressure go over 5 and the actual pressure over 9. I have attached a screen shot of the other night.

Let me know your thoughts on what you see and what other information would be helpful.

Also would like to note i have been to 3 different doctors, for various reasons, but seem that my current doctor does want to help but I am not seeing any relieve yet.

I have tried chin strap with my nossle mask. I do think i breathe through my mouth a lot due to sinus issues/stuffy nose. I even tried full face mask, but after about 2 days of use it causes a sore on my nose.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: First time to forum, but been fighting sleep apnea for 2.5 years
Also wanted to note that one of the therapists even had mentioned that i had central sleep apnea and needed and AVS machine. I think i have the abbreviation correct. Even when using my current S9, my wife has noticed that i do gasp for air at times.
Post Reply Post Reply
I cannot see your leak rates from the above but I'll bet they're higher than they should be. It does look to me like your biggest problem is with CA's, which would suggest you need a slightly different machine. Because of the CA's I would hesitate to advise you to futz much with the pressures until you talk to your sleep docs, but it does look to me like the pressure is too low to control much of anything. Again however, because of the CA's, I would really like you to talk to your sleep doc before you make any changes. If you can get in to see them, take your Sleepyhead charts with you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry, i have attached another screen shot showing leaks.

CA's meaning?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi 69developer,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
The machine that is use for treating central sleep apnea is called an ASV (Adapt Servo Ventalator.
You should talk to your sleep doc about that and the problems you are having.
Hang in there for more answers to your questions and best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Leaks look great! I lost my bet... CA's are "clear airway" events, as opposed to obstructive events. Air pressure cannot really resolve the clear airway event because there's nothing to poke out of the way. They can be treated of course, and the S9 does try to do that, but you very well might need a different machine to do it.

Often an increase in pressure will trigger new CA events, which is why I'm not comfortable in suggesting you increase your pressure. But it's really kind of low. I suspect they may have set it low to see if you could gain control of your obstructives without increasing the CA's.

Call the doc. You will get the treatment you need, and you will begin to enjoy this new lifestyle!
Post Reply Post Reply
I am on my 3rd doctor over the 2.5 years span. They do have another overnight study plus a nap evaluation the following day that is scheduled for middle of July.

I have been on c-pap at 18 pressure in/out and thought i was going to suffocated during that treatment, then they finally lowered to like 15. then they changed me to a bi-pap, and was set at like 15/11. i still felt as though i could not breath out easily. then switched doctors and they put me on the Auto S9 machine. Shouldnt the S9 Auto put more pressure out if it thinks i need it?

I am in process of setting up infrared camera to capture the gasping for air so that I can show that to the doctor.

Like i said after 3 doctors and still feeling tired, waking up with headaches, feeling sleepy driving home in the evenings for 2.5 years, i have got to get something figured out. Oh to mention, my first doctor had actually had my machine set up to another persons setpoints, thats when it was on 18. The doctor that i am seeing now is spending a little more time reading my charts and trying to help, but the other two doctors was a joke, 3-5 mins with you and then $300 bill.

I currently have 3 machines in my possession, but using the S9 Auto. Even on the days i wake up and see like and AHI < 3, I think ok i going to feel better today, but to nope, sure dont.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi 69developer,

The "mask pressure" plot is not correct. Scale is way off. Don't believe it.

I suggest double checking the data using ResScan, because version 0.9.5 of SleepyHead has some newly-introduced bugs which are being worked on.

Maybe a newer SH version will be available soon. Or, I think SH version 0.9.3 worked better.

In the meantime, if you can run a Windows program on your computer, just use ResScan.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
they autoset runs tests to see if it determine if you have a obstructive apnea, or a central apnea, if it's a central apnea, it will not increase the pressure, because higher pressures will sometimes make central apneas worse.

most of yours are centrals, so the machine will not increase pressure as a result.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi 69developer,

1. I strongly suggest turning off EPR, to see if that reduces the number of central apnea events you are having. With some patients this reduces the number of centrals a lot. If that does not help enough, I suggest asking for an ASV titration and an ASV machine.

2. Concerning Full Face masks, I find the ResMed Mirage Quattro requires me to use a ResMed Gecko nose gel pad to protect my nose bridge, and to eliminate leaking around my eyes. My current favorite is the ResMed Quattro FX. It is easier on my nose and does not need a gel pad, but I need to use a RemZzz mask liner to control bothersome mask flapping, leaking. I've tried the ResMed Air but it leaked too much. I am planning to try the new ResMed Airfit F10 soon.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 217 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 5 203 Yesterday, 06:51 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,417 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 348 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 287 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 74 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.