Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First timer
Thumbsup 
First timer
I am learning a lot about Sleep Apnia and treatment, and have much to learn. This is a good and thoughtful forum with a huge amount of information. I am 76 and have worked 7 days a week for my whole life and have enjoyed almost the whole 60 years.
  I have been exhausted the last couple months and my MD set me up with a simple home test and now I have a shiny new Resmed 11 and got through the first night with a full face mask [Dreamware]- not as bad as I expected]. I did not have a datacard in last night so have very limited information from MyAir- 14 events/hr compared to 59 during my official at home test. I slept over 9 hours [normal is 6-7 per night] and I woke with
wide open eyes [very unusual], dry mouth [humidifier ran dry] and the feeling of my mouth billowing open like a dog with his head out the window [I saw a thread somewhere describing that but cannot find it. I found paperwork with 7-15 pressure and believe all other setting are auto so far. I have Oscar downloaded/setup are look forward to using/understanding/profiting from it. Thanks and I an sure to have question along my journey. Gene
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: First timer
Gene,
Welcome to Apnea Board!

After you insert a SD card in your Pap machine, and use it for a night or two, go ahead and post a Screenshot of the daily page in OSCAR.  

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ganization

I'm sure we can help get your AHI down a little more.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Thank you OpalRose. I am just now getting some results for Oscar- first two SD cards did not work, bought a new one and it did. My first night went good, second night half was good and last night I struggled for hours with leaks that I could hear myself, finally went to sleep and the results are below. I have a Dreamwear full face mask and I do not believe that is going to work for me. I am a mouth breather with a beard since I was 17yo [long time ago] and I found the mask was in my mouth a lot. The nasal setup with this mask does not impress me at all either.
I do like the hose connection on a swivel on the top of the head however. I intend to contact the Eq store Monday and ask for a full, full face mask. I have has some feedback from the ResMed phone app, good enough to see my AHI has gone up every night. I feel tired/sleepy today and headachey, BTW. I appreciate any comments from you good people and I am going to make this work somehow- I am not done living yet. Thanks Gene
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Gene,
As you know, your leak rate is too high.  What that happens for whatever reason, the Pap machine may not be accurately flagging apneas.  So the first thing to concentrate on is fixing the leaks.  

Finding the right mask is a daunting task.  After you try out a Full Face Mask, please repost.  Maybe others here will advise on different masks.  I use a nasal pillow mask, but I don't mouth breathe, so it works for me.

When you repost a chart, use the F12 key (on a Mac, Fn+F12) (Standard View)
to take your Screenshot.  Grafts we like to see to start out:  Events, Pressure, Flow Rate, Leak Rate and Flow Limitation.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was never successful or comfortable with FFM. I now use pillows and mouth taping.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well we are slowly moving along- I now have a F20 face mask and I actually feel a lot better. My first mask was Dreamware and had the hose connection on top of my head and I liked that but was hoping to do better- hope springs eternal- the Resmed mask has the hose attached to the snout and I find that more cumbersome. I don't have as many leakage problems with this one. My plan now is to try a RM F30i to try to get more of what I think I want in a mask. My AHI is high but as I say the reality is I feel better. Any thought or advice is appreciated. Thanks Gene

[attachment=44036]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum.

I see a positional apnea influencing your events in all your charts. I believe these are from your neck alignment so my first question. What is your pillow situation? Try 1 vs 2 and less firm or flatter. Think about getting your neck into a rescue breathing type of position. Let us know. Basically it looks like you are kinking your airway and no amount of pressure will correct that. Maybe I'm wrong but we will see.

I also see your flow limitations are a bit high but I want to see how you respond with my pillow suggestion above.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am still getting up to speed with all this- I would be interested to know what helped you with your Positional Apnea diagnosis [I cannot think of another word right now]. Last night I used a shredded foam pillow that is quite soft and you can remove some of the filling if desired- the night before I was using this same pillow with one layer of foam from a three layered shaped
pillow Intended for Apnea, which was too firm, and tall. I sleep on my left side and almost always wake up on the same side in case that helps. I felt as normal today as I have for months- so even a small improvement is noticeable. I thought my leakage rates were my largest problem but, as I said, I am a newby. Thanks Gene

I am strongly considering going to my DE[I?] to change to a R-Med F30i this week- hoping to help the leak situation.
Post Reply Post Reply
Positional apnea is usually easy to see. Look at the OA and H events. Events grouped together (almost all of your are grouped ) shows positional apnea.

It is also known as chin tucking where your chin drops down to your sternum cutting off your own airway. We suggest the use of a collar to stop chin tucking. I have a link for collars in my signature.

The link shows people without using a collar and the same people who use a collar. Huge difference.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Positional Apnea is indicated by clustering of obstructive events. Look at the wiki linked in my signature on soft cervical collar.

As a side sleeper you need a taller somewhat firmer pillow. You are likely pulling into a fetal position and tucking your chin.

On masks, read the Mask Primer. I favor trying the masks from smallest to largest.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Sudden Pressure jumps and timer reset JefferyG 2 734 03-15-2021, 03:12 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] Leak/Fit problems - looking for mask suggestions for first-timer fs12 13 2,817 05-06-2018, 05:30 PM
Last Post: fs12
Gross [CPAP] First timer, gosh my nose hurts. daniemmdee 10 3,061 10-13-2016, 02:05 AM
Last Post: player
  New machine, same problem with recording timer. JVinNE 4 2,343 06-15-2015, 06:55 AM
Last Post: MobileBasset
  Old timer but discouraged GrammaBear 13 4,584 04-13-2015, 09:24 PM
Last Post: archangle

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.