Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First two nights with my AutoSet
First two nights with my AutoSet
I have a question for all you Autoset gurus. I purchased an autoset last month and decided to try it Friday night. It was set at 4 - 20 by vendor #1, from whom I purchased it. I felt great this morning and Saturday morning as well. Better than I've felt since I starting "using" in December of 2012. My Med pressure was around 8, 95% was 12.5 and max was 13.5 per SH both nights. My Elite is set at 10. I had a little trouble falling asleep both nights, I'm guessing the 4 is too low for me and I'm not comfortable at the start. But I slept like a baby. Wife mate had to wake me up both mornings. I'm thinking of bumping up the minimum pressure. My question, what should I bump the minimum up to? I'm thinking 8 since that seems to be the median pressure. My ramp on the elite started at 8 too. I did drop to 4 numerous times for long periods both nights. Any suggestions?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: First two nights with my AutoSet
I would go 7 or 8 on the min side. I'd also lower the max to something like 15 maybe? Yes the S9 will only go as high as it figures you need it to go, but I've had occasion where, due to leaks perhaps?, my s9 would crank up the volume to 18 or so which is not all that comfy for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Presuming your AHI is not already minimal since you don't seem have mentioned it:

I would suggest 8, but were it me I would go right to 10 (my nature is aggressive and you CPAP was 10 anyway with your 95% higher than that. My plan would be to likely edge up to towards the 95% AFTER giving it time to establish a good baseline 95%.)

I would leave the top end open but it you stay in the same max range for a while then you can close it down at your leisure (If the machine never gets up there then there is no problem with leaving it higher, and at first you want the machine to have 'headroom' to search for the best pressures.

The above is almost pure fantasy without all the other important numbers.

BTW, what was you AHI?

What did it run with the CPAP on 10?
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, herbm, I forgot to mention my AHI. My AHI average for the year with the Elite is 0.37 at 10. Rarely, do I get above 1.0. It's 0.55 for the first two nights with the Autoset. Yes, I may wait a while. Two nights is not enough data.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-04-2014, 09:05 PM)Regular Joe Wrote: Any suggestions?
I can only tell you what is working for me. With AutoSet averaging a pressure of 9.72 and a 95% pressure of 11.82, I have the pressure range set at 8/14. My AHI is averaging .66 over the past 30 days.

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm in the same boat... I started with my S9 autoset last Friday night. I adusted pressures to what I thought were a good starting point and wanted to experiment with the autoset feature, so, though my regular pressure was 18 with a standard CPAP I started with a 10-18 range and a ramp of 10 minutes starting with 5. The first night AHI was 1.65 (with a worn out quatro face seal). Not too bad, but it felt like my body was LOOKING for pressure all night long and I move more than usual during the night. Saturday night, I bumped the min to 14 and left the max at 18. I changed the ramp to 5 minutes and started at 12. Humidity remained at 3. AHI dropped to 1.2. I made a further adjustment to the humidity level to 4 for Sunday night and I slept a recorded 6.8 hrs. with an AHI of .5. That is a stunning result from the first couple of nights with an auto-set machine, and both my wife and I are pleased beyond measure. The quetness of the machine is also a plus as my M-type was getting rather noisy -- like bad computer fan noisy -- after over 8 years of service. Typical AHI with the M-type at 18 CPAP was around the 2.1 level.
Post Reply Post Reply
I bumped the min setting to 7 for tonight. I just don't feel like starting at 4 is doing anything. Heck, I had to check and see if it was even on... I think having a higher minimum pressure may help me to fall asleep faster. I do feel a lot better during the day, though. Thanks everyone for the input.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds like you are moving in the right direction, Joe.
Keep up the good work!

Sleep-well
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Regular Joe,
Sounds like you are off to a good start with your new S9 AutoSet, keep up the good work and let us know how you progress with the new machine.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, I typically needed (and sometimes still need) to check if it is on all the way up to 13+.

My autoset is quiet; P10 is quieter; there are no leaks to feel, and since my mouth is closed or even my throat if my mouth opens, there is nothing tell me it is running.

I generally must consciously open my nose to my throat to get a little wind tunnel to have a positive indication.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 110 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 252 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  21 nights in, seeking advice smmille1 3 216 03-10-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: smmille1
  First two nights with results meettherobinsons 5 452 01-18-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: meettherobinsons
  First week - One "good" night and waking up with mask off most nights ghost10 9 682 12-15-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: ghost10
  [Treatment] My very first two nights! domod 6 582 11-30-2023, 10:06 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Sad One of my worst nights. adamwhereartthou 1 451 11-06-2023, 02:23 PM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.