Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First week- why is my cpap making me dizzy?
RE: First week- why is my cpap making me dizzy?
Hi William Rothamel, thanks for sharing your experience, and welcome to Apnea Board.

Repeatability is the key.

I agree there is evidence for making the logical link that in your case turning off the humidifier helps to avoid the dizzyness.

How repeatable an experiment is tells us how strong the link is. If you repeat the experiment a few more times with similar results, it would establish that there is a strong link.

Some questions for consideration would be:

In the occasional occurances of dizziness, how often did it start and stop, so how likely is it that by purely by chance no occurances occurred when the humidifier was off for a few weeks, and how likely is it that purely by chance the dizzyness might go away after one night? And have you been watchful without success for any other possible links, such as perhaps strong sneezing or an unusually long apnea, or an unusually high APAP pressure excursion occurring the nights when dizziness started?

Take care,
--- Vaughn

(04-07-2016, 11:21 PM)eseedhouse Wrote:
(04-07-2016, 04:35 AM)William Rothamel Wrote: I too have suspected that my sometimes severe dizziness was a result of the CPAP machine since I never had cthis problem before using a CPAP. I have had CPAP for several years and some few times have actual visual spinning and dizziness when bending down or looking up or down.

Recently I ran out of purified water this winter and took a few weeks to get more so I turned off the humidifier. No dizziness during this time. I recently reactivated the humidifier. got dizzy again. Tonight i shut off the humidifier and am not dizzy. I clean the chamber and mask every night.

I think that what is happening is that the CPAP is pushing moisture through the eustachian tubes into the inner ear which is critical for balance.

I think there is a lot of evidence here for me to make this logical link to the problem i have had with vertigo. Doctors may be smart enough but having trouble with logic as to cause and effect.

I think it's you who may be using confused logic. Just because something starts after something else ...

There is even a fancy latin name for the logical error you seem to me to be making, i.e. "post hoc, ergo propter hoc" (after this therefore because of this) and it's been recognized as incorrect logic for hundreds of years.
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi. I am also experiencing vertigo and have been using the cpap for 4 nights...I do not like my mask and want a different one....but i thought the dizziness was stress related, now i'm thinking it's cpap related. Anyone help me? thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, lizzie. I found this article in pub med, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3836348/, called Alternobaric Vertigo in a Patient on Positive Airway Pressure Therapy, that relates to your experience.

Post #38 in this thread, linked here, http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid156922, has info from Daria Vader about possible ways to help.
"Perseverance, secret of all triumphs."
Victor Hugo
Post Reply Post Reply
I am keen to add my own costly and longstanding experiences of dealing with dizziness which indirectly has resulted from the use of CPAP. I have spend thousands on trying to come up with a personal solution, to ease my symptoms, but have found in my case, purely by accident that the solution was so simple.

Neck, aches, dizziness, nausea, brain fog, serious concerns regarding problems including the fear of problems including a brain tuna, cervical wear and tear, cancer, you name it and it has appeared somewhere over my 15 years of using CPAP.

I can go on for ages, explains the circumstances that led me to finding a solution that worked for me. A solution that eradicated almost immediately all of these problems and concerns, and a solution that cost me nothing, and will make me nothing by sharing the opportunity to try it to totters. I cannot guarantee that my solution will work for you, but at the very least it has got to be worth a try.

The use of a CPAP mask or even a tight fitting band used to secure nasal pillows, exerted pressure on blood vessels and nerves around the back and sides of my skull, and base of my neck. By simply changing to a loose fitting nasal pillow mask that I could move further up onto the top of my head, the problem has stopped. Whether the previous use of CPAP has resulted in creating over sensitivity in this area, I can no longer tolerate even the lightest pressure now from sunglasses or a hat, which will immdiately result in the recurrence of my former symptoms.

Please give this a try. If my experience helps just one suffering CPAP user, this post has been worthwhile. Good luck guys. Give me a call if you need more info.
Post Reply Post Reply
A pressure differential between your ears due to air pushed into an Eustachian tube that is restricted by infection, allergies, etc can cause vertigo. CPAP might push air in that can't get out and vertigo might result.
Also vertigo can be caused by tiny crystals (otoliths) in the inner ear that get out of position.

In both cases a doctor can help.
I have had both types, one due to a restricted tube when I had bacterial pneumonia and one due to otoliths.
The first was treated with a steroid inhaler that reduced inflammation and the second by using the Epley maneuver. If you search for "Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo" you can see a lot of info. If it continues I would see a doctor to get a diagnosis.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 757 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool
Sad help! bipap making things worse Sleepyroshi 5 398 03-14-2024, 07:45 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  First week with CPAP Oscar - Adjustments phillyfan24 5 460 03-09-2024, 10:27 PM
Last Post: phillyfan24
  [NEW USER] First Week - Help Getting Oriented rarmstrong26 4 179 03-05-2024, 09:33 PM
Last Post: rarmstrong26
  Finding right mask- 1 week in GOIRISH65 3 207 03-02-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
Gross Need help interpreting data and making adjustments tiredandexpired 13 528 03-01-2024, 10:07 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Help Interpreting OSCAR data and making adjustments Catbois 1 163 03-01-2024, 11:03 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.