Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First week- why is my cpap making me dizzy?
RE: First week- why is my cpap making me dizzy?
(06-19-2013, 09:28 PM)sleepjunky Wrote: it is a little hard to breathe out with pressure of 4, but not terribly so.

You will get used to that. I have a much higher pressure setting, and it is now to the point when I wake up, breathing feels "normal" and I can't tell if the machine is still working or not. A couple of weeks ago, it took physically lifting the mask from my face for me to realize that we were having a power failure and my CPAP machine wasn't working.

I don't know if you will feel this at your lower pressure, but I did notice that my diaphragm muscle had to be toned up for the initial week or two against the increased exhale pressure before I got completely used to it. Of course, like exercising any muscle, there was a bit of discomfort in the morning for that initial time.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-20-2013, 01:42 PM)sleepjunky Wrote: As I said I strongly suspect a dip in blood pressure post cpap use- extra pressure in the lungs causes it. For most people its a good thing. For me- not so much. I'm hoping my body will re-establish homeostasis/ equilibrium with time, and a lot of water when I wake up!

Hi sleepjunky,

If you don't already own one, you can buy a portable blood pressure monitor at most any drug store or Costco or wherever, to help you document for your doctor whether you have low blood pressure.

If your blood pressure is indeed low, perhaps your doctor could give you a prescription for something which would help with that while you are adjusting to CPAP.

And yes, drinking an adequate amount of water can help raise blood pressure. (At the extreme, I've read that drinking way, way too much water can cause brain swelling and death.)

Good luck and hang in there!

Take care,
--- Vaughn

Added: I hope you will install SleepyHead and look at the data from your PRS1 Auto. How often are you having central or obstructive apneas and hypopneas?

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-23-2013, 08:11 PM)vsheline Wrote: At the extreme, I've read that drinking way, way too much water can cause brain swelling and death.

Omigod! OK, that's it then. From now on no more water. I'm switching completely to beer.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oxygen will quickly kill you too in too high a concentration. Too much of anything good is no good at all.
Post Reply Post Reply
I too have suspected that my sometimes severe dizziness was a result of the CPAP machine since I never had this problem before using a CPAP. I have had CPAP for several years and some few times have actual visual spinning and dizziness when bending down or looking up or down.

Recently I ran out of purified water this winter and took a few weeks to get more so I turned off the humidifier. No dizziness during this time. I recently reactivated the humidifier. got dizzy again. Tonight i shut off the humidifier and am not dizzy. I clean the chamber and mask every night.

I think that what is happening is that the CPAP is pushing moisture through the eustachian tubes into the inner ear which is critical for balance.

I think there is a lot of evidence here for me to make this logical link to the problem i have had with vertigo. Doctors may be smart enough but having trouble with logic as to cause and effect.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-23-2013, 08:37 PM)JJJ Wrote:
(06-23-2013, 08:11 PM)vsheline Wrote: At the extreme, I've read that drinking way, way too much water can cause brain swelling and death.

Omigod! OK, that's it then. From now on no more water. I'm switching completely to beer.

Beer is a really bad idea, I strongly suggest home made Mead.
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-07-2016, 04:35 AM)William Rothamel Wrote: I too have suspected that my sometimes severe dizziness was a result of the CPAP machine since I never had this problem before using a CPAP. I have had CPAP for several years and some few times have actual visual spinning and dizziness when bending down or looking up or down.

Recently I ran out of purified water this winter and took a few weeks to get more so I turned off the humidifier. No dizziness during this time. I recently reactivated the humidifier. got dizzy again. Tonight i shut off the humidifier and am not dizzy. I clean the chamber and mask every night.

I think that what is happening is that the CPAP is pushing moisture through the eustachian tubes into the inner ear which is critical for balance.

I think there is a lot of evidence here for me to make this logical link to the problem i have had with vertigo. Doctors may be smart enough but having trouble with logic as to cause and effect.

I think it's you who may be using confused logic. Just because something starts after something else doesn't mean that the first thing caused the second. People do get vertigo for many reasons. I've had several bouts of vertigo, all before I ever started APAP and none since. This doesn't prove in any way that APAP prevents vertigo, and neither does a few people who develop vertigo after starting APAP prove in any way that APAP causes vertigo.

For that we'd need a proper clinical study.

There is even a fancy latin name for the logical error you seem to me to be making, i.e. "post hoc, ergo propter hoc" (after this therefore because of this) and it's been recognized as incorrect logic for hundreds of years.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
Ear issues with cpap is a well established problem, with all kinds of advice all over the place on how to alleviate it, and absolutely hundreds of cpap users reporting it. The main thing being to keep sinuses clear by use of netipot or sprays. On one ear thread some time back I posted an article showing how to use a nasal spray for maximum effect on ears

Logic dictates that since your ears are connected via the eustachian tubes to your sinuses that pressure there will cause ear issues. The best remedy then is to keep those sinuses as free as possible of congestion and inflammation. This person said that removing humidity did it for him and he isn't the first to have said so. Others (like me) must use humidity or suffer.

edit: heres the link http://www.fauquierent.net/etd2.htm
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, SleepJunkie, at this time, nobody can tell much about what is going on with you because you are not
running SleepyHead. Your doctor has your money now and would just as soon you get lost and not bother them further.
(Just from looking at the bad advise you're getting from the sleep clinic)
Find another doctor but first get SleepyHead going and start sharing your data with this group.
Then you can get your treatment optimized without doing 10,000 and one stupid guesses. ( oh gee, I dunno. Lets try changing the CPAP spark plug?)
The program is free and you have already spent more time agonizing over what is wrong than it takes to learn how to use the software.
The doctor wont tell you this but you have to learn to fend for yourself with this therapy and then it will start helping you improve.
Get the software. Use it and show this group your data.
Then YOU can start fixing things for yourself.
Oh yes. Do NOT quit yet! Takes a few months to adapt to the therapy and that is after you get the machine set right!
They didn't tell you that either, did they?

Cheers & best of luck.

Sleep-well

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
SleepJunkie started this thread in 2013. Hopefully he has solved the problem!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First week with CPAP Oscar - Adjustments phillyfan24 6 507 11 hours ago
Last Post: phillyfan24
  New user OSCAR data after one week Everlong 2 108 03-26-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Everlong
Sad help! bipap making things worse Sleepyroshi 11 595 03-23-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 836 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool
  [NEW USER] First Week - Help Getting Oriented rarmstrong26 4 205 03-05-2024, 09:33 PM
Last Post: rarmstrong26
  Finding right mask- 1 week in GOIRISH65 3 226 03-02-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
Gross Need help interpreting data and making adjustments tiredandexpired 13 589 03-01-2024, 10:07 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.