Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First week- why is my cpap making me dizzy?
RE: First week- why is my cpap making me dizzy?
(06-14-2013, 04:29 PM)sleepjunky Wrote: Thanks all. What is OP? They would not lower the pressure because they say dizziness is NOT related to cpap.
CPAP Pressure: 4-10
Your pressure set to start at 4 ... 4 is the lowest setting and cannot be set any lower
I,m wondering if dizziness to do with pressure being set too low especially if using Ramp
For me 4 would be feel uncomfortable as not getting enough air to breathe but I need more pressure to get apnea under control

Post Reply Post Reply
It would help to know more about your equipment and mask.
If you have an auto pap, you can set a range of pressure, say from 5 to 20 and let the machine decide what is right, rather than the non responsive doctors.
If you Havel a data capable machine you can get free software to monitor your own results.
Share that information here and you will get better more specific advice.
Everyone here has gone through some type of adjustment. I am at 2.5 years on CPAP. I have learned a lot more here than from any of the "professionals" I have dealt with.
I am still battling the system to get the mask I need to sleep comfortably.
Post Reply Post Reply
This is very helpful feedback thanks all very much for the time you took to reply. Its hard when the MD says " well thats not common"- it makes me lose hope. You guys seem to be encouraging me to see it at an adjustment phase. I'll keep trying and maybe it'll get better. I met with the md today and he set the machine not to go over 4. we'll see if that helps. I'll watch how tight the mask is too. if I still cant tolerate it then I have a referral for a dental device.
I am truly desperate to treat this. I agree about weight loss and exercise being difficult while untreated. I did lose 20 lbs and am not overweight now but it took a year and a half to lose the weight it was so hard and now that I'm at a healthy weight and not dieting the weight is starting to creep up again. I'm sure I try to wake myself up with food!
Post Reply Post Reply
If there's any way you can simply put up with the dizziness, do so for another week or two. There's a good chance it will go away on its own.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-17-2013, 10:54 PM)archangle Wrote: If there's any way you can simply put up with the dizziness, do so for another week or two. There's a good chance it will go away on its own.

thanks so much! I will definitely try
Post Reply Post Reply
Update: keeping the pressure at 4 seems to help. I feel very dizzy and almost paralysed in the morning but by mid morning I feel much better. fingers crossed.
Post Reply Post Reply
You might also try taking some nighttime decongestant / sinus medication before going to bed. It might be that your sinuses are reacting to the increased overnight pressure and going bananas when the pressure is removed in the morning. I find that I very quickly get congested when I remove my mask in the morning, and it takes a little while for that congestion to drain to a more normal level.

When you say you feel "almost paralyzed", is that because of the dizziness or because of fatigue? In the morning, do you remove your mask while still lying down, or do you sit up first? When does the dizziness start: when you first wake up, when you remove your mask, when you sit up / stand up, or some time afterwards? If you wake up during the evening and have to go to the bathroom, are you dizzy then too?

You might also consider a sinus rinse in the morning to just make sure everything is clear. Just make sure that you use a proper pH solution at a proper temperature, or you'll think that dizziness is the least of your problems. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-18-2013, 01:50 PM)sleepjunky Wrote: Update: keeping the pressure at 4 seems to help. I feel very dizzy and almost paralysed in the morning but by mid morning I feel much better. fingers crossed.

"dizzy" doesn't worry me too much, but "almost paralyzed" worries me. I'd say to discuss this with your doctor, but I guess you already are.

Is it a bit like the feeling you get if you hyperventilate? i.e. when you breathe heavily for a while?
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well yes it is very much like the symptoms of hyperventilation. I am not able to induce that state in myself ( My brain says just WHAT do you think you are doing???)Laugh-a-lot but reviewing the symptoms on various web sites i'd say yes the symptoms are very very similar. lightheaded, dizzy weak!, palpitations (slight) and muscle spasm (I had a leg cramp this am which i never get..) Do you think that means I'm not breathing out well enough?
I feel lots better today in terms of energy and attention after those symptom wore off.
I'll try the nasal rinse too.
Post Reply Post Reply
sigh. This cpap thing is starting to look like a failed experiment. I used a nasal rinse last night, made sure the mask was not too tight, slept fine and turned off the cpap at 3am to give myself time to recover in time to get up and go to work at 7. But I still felt so tired I could barely move in the morning, came in late to work, and at noon I still feel lightheaded and sort of like Ive been drugged (yes like the symptoms of hyperventalation) I think this might mean that even at pressure 4 , it is too strong for me, but I wish I understood why it would cause these symptoms. I'm very discouraged! Sleep Dr office has not called back yet. and I have to wait a month for an appointment with a dentist..
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New user OSCAR data after one week Everlong 2 102 03-26-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Everlong
Sad help! bipap making things worse Sleepyroshi 11 585 03-23-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 827 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool
  First week with CPAP Oscar - Adjustments phillyfan24 5 484 03-09-2024, 10:27 PM
Last Post: phillyfan24
  [NEW USER] First Week - Help Getting Oriented rarmstrong26 4 202 03-05-2024, 09:33 PM
Last Post: rarmstrong26
  Finding right mask- 1 week in GOIRISH65 3 222 03-02-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
Gross Need help interpreting data and making adjustments tiredandexpired 13 583 03-01-2024, 10:07 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.